• This topic has 60 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mahalo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • This Peter Kay Thing…
  • the-muffin-man

…never mind a new carpet for his mum – with the amount of dates he’s doing he’ll be buying Carpetright outright!! 🤣🤣

tomhoward

Queued for 3 hours online. Got tickets in the end, 1st November, 2024…

the-muffin-man

I did think about that but I can’t plan that far ahead! It’ll have been on TV 5 times by then too! 😀

zilog6128

I saw him last time he was at the O2 (long time ago now!) He was brilliant of course (and Rick Astley supporting was random/ace 😀) but the arena format for comedy doesn’t really do it for me, way too impersonal, it wasn’t much difference to just watching him on telly really.

tomhoward

We’re fairly close to the front, so at least it won’t just like being sat watching the big screens in a warehouse…

fossy

Got on with just 15,000 infront of me so had tickets for Jan 24, near the stage seated at Manchester. Got through in 30 mins.

We launched two other laptops and in the minute or so between joining the queue, the others were around 180,000.

tomhoward

I checked just after I got mine, 380k in the queue.

Originally tried Leeds arena, 71k, stopped moving when it got to 40k, Manchester announced 30odd dates, that was at 250k when I joined the queue.

fossy

I think I must have fallen lucky as some folk were ‘in the queue’ from early hours. We joined the queue about 9:45 for Manchester and was at 15,000 (the other laptops were 180,000 a few seconds later). I didn’t realise the date we got until I’d bought them – thought I’d got December 22 – I put that down to buying tickets with covid and feeling a bit rough. Date works out quite nicely as it’s the birthday of my wife’s mum, who sadly died this year, so something ‘fun’ to look forward to on a significant date.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs had 4 devices queuing from 9.30 this morning for Leeds. Too late! There was something like 17000 people in front on the shortest queue she was in.
    She clarted about & finally got tickets for Brum, Jan 2025!! I’m 66, could be dead by then. At least she could flog my ticket & make better money than Bitcoin.

What Indian restaurant near the arena? Just in case I’m still around.

What’s the fuss?

I thought it was a bit weird when it made the main news stories that he was doing shows again.

Then the hysteria about getting tickets. I know people who have bought them for 2025. He’s a mildly funny comedian ffs, not the Beatles getting back together

If you ever needed a prime example of the media whipping the masses into a frenzy, here you go.

Now apply that to the dramas we’ve experienced literally one after another after another one the past few years…..

tomhoward

What’s the fuss?

He’s a comedian a lot of people find funny, and he had to unexpectedly cancel his last (equally popular) tour for family reasons, meaning he hasn’t toured for around 12 years.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ tend to agree. He’s funny but getting your pants in a twist about spunking £££££s (or not) on a ticket seems very weird.

fossy

There was no fuss for most of us, logged on, waited, made a brew, and got two tickets. Sorted. The waiting system stopped the website crashes.

DrJ

What’s the fuss?

Well, he’s funnier than Mrs Brown’s Boys. Maybe.

tomhoward

Tickets started at £35.

Drac

Got in for Newcastle within about 15 minutes, couldn’t buy more than one ticket. Give up.

Weren’t for me anyway he’s funny but most of it was just the same.

mikeyp

It’s v impressive how he remains so popular despite no new material for so long. Phoenix Nights is timeless. I get the impression he’s been ill so it’s good to see him back.

There was no fuss for most of us

I guess you’ve not been on Facebook today…

I like him, he’s infinitely funnier than Mrs Brown’s Boys.

But waiting hours in a queue – seen a friend say they were 9000th. Then didn’t get tickets. Then rejoicing because you’ve got tickets. For 2025.

Can’t be arsed with that, if I’ve got to put that much effort in, it will be for an experience that massively outweighs what will be on a dvd in a few months. Live comedy is great, but not on the scale of an amazing gig for example

CountZero

Tickets started at £35.

What did they go up to?

I was quite excited to see Peter Gabriel announced a new album and a tour in support. Then I saw the price of tickets: at the O2, somewhere where you need an oxygen cylinder, about £65, in the lower banked seats, around £165, on the arena floor, just shy of £200 a ticket! About the same at Birmingham. I’m very disappointed, it’s been a long time since he last toured, but £400 for two tickets is just not affordable for me.

I guess you’ve not been on Facebook today…

Who does?

desperatebicycle

Agree with str, a few hours of average comedy, just not worth the hassle or cash.
    I hope those with tickets have a jolly lovely night out when it comes around though! 😄

mattyfez

Sounds like under-provisioned IT systems rather than unprecidented demand.

somafunk

Got to admit I’ve not seen anything he’s done but I’m aware of his name, I’m intrigued by the interest so he must be good…..right?. I’ll pop off and see what I can find on YouTube.

kimbers

I’m sure it’ll be great

But I just got tickets for Garth Merenghi’s Dark Place Terror Tome at the local theatre next month

kimbers

I’m intrigued by the interest so he must be good…..right

He peaked with phoenix nights

paino

As a Boltonian ex pat I felt it was my duty to wait in the ticket queue. 27000th on ticketmaster, but managed to get served by Gigs&Tours within 5 minutes of logging on. 2 tickets at the Hydro in May sorted. Most I’ve ever spent on any tickets for anything! Sincerely hope he changes his material for those folk booking for 2025!
    I get PK isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but in a world where comedians have to go so close to the edge (see Gervais/Carr/Boyle etc) it makes a nice change to see a bit of wholesome observational comedy. Almost like a voice of calm amongst the doom and gloom.

mattyfez

Got to admit I’ve not seen anything he’s done but I’m aware of his name

I liked his ‘car share’ tv series. I wouldn’t call it comedy, more funny social narrative.

Drac

Sincerely hope he changes his material for those folk booking for 2025!

Unlikely. Given it’s never really changed.

kerley
    Free Member

He peaked with phoenix nights

Agree. Everything else has been pretty standard ‘popular’ comedy stuff. Phoenix Nights was actually something new/different plus very funny.

Rich_s

Saw him at the tour that didn’t tour tour at Manchester arena. It was decent enough, but I’d not bother with an arena again. Just watch it on telly instead. Off to see Henning Wehn next year in a slightly more intimate setting – can’t wait!

Spin
    Free Member

No maybe about it I’m not a massive Peter Kay fan but he has to be better than MBB.

Sincerely hope he changes his material for those folk booking for 2025!

Once you attain the kind of status PK has you don’t have to. In fact it would piss people off iff you did. It would be like when you go to see a band that was massive years ago and they say ‘here’s one off our new album’.

tomhoward

But waiting hours in a queue

My laptop was on, I kept checking on it whilst the ‘queue’ was at big numbers, only sat down to wait properly when it was sub 10k, and dropping by 500 each refresh.

What did they go up to?

£75 was the most expensive available, assuming you didn’t want any hospitality package on top, when I got through to seat selection.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Then rejoicing because you’ve got tickets. For 2025.

I didn’t say I was rejoicing. The Mrs did it while I was out on the bike. I’m probably looking forward to a curry in Brum more. But hey, I like him, if he’s as funny live as Ken Dodd or John Bishop were then I’ll be laughing.

halifaxpete

Had tickets for the last tour that never was. I’d like to go to this one but queuing online for hours? Sack that off, not paying the inflated resale prices either (thats a whole other rant!)

I didn’t say I was rejoicing

Wasn’t referring to you pal – more the fuss I’ve seen on Facebook

pondo

Drac

Who’s Russ Jones?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Who’s Russ Jones?

He’s that bloke from Cheshire. I’ve never heard of him either.

zilog6128

I’ve never heard of him either.

same. Now I know you shouldn’t judge by appearances, but judging by that profile pic (which has just disappeared?) I’d say he was a real smug **** though 😂

nuke

Surprised by the stories of queuing we heard about after buying tickets…we were on Axs site at 10:00 and were done by 10:25 with tickets for Sept 2023 🤷

ransos
    Free Member

Biscuits, eh? What were that all about?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.