Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 722 total)
  • This Obesity Thing
  • grum
    Free Member

Bit confusing when some things have a higher GI but lower GL. Eg couscous has a higher GI than Quinoa, but a lower GL. You reckon we should believe the GL figure? I always thought couscous was basically made from white flour, like pasta, do it would seem odd if it was better for you than quinoa.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

ChrisS
    Free Member

I haven’t read all of this yet, but it looks to be a fairly comprehensive explanation of the whole calories issue:

http://thecaloriemythbook.com/

WackoAK
    Free Member
    mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@ grum

I might have been a bit mixed up there, GI is on the ‘100g of carbs’ scale, but the GL is a better representation of what you eat as to get 100g of carbs from potatos you’d have to eat half a kilo of them, wheras to eat 100g of carbs from bread you need 200g…

I think we should believe both indexes 🙂 Another index worth looking into is the insulin index, which measures the insulin production in response to different foods.

Interestingly, on that index, it is things like fatty pastries that come out worst (i.e. high fat high processed sugar in general). They seem to cause a disproportionate response from the body, compared to what you might predict based on their fat or carb content.

Or to put it another way, there are things far worse than potatoes!

grum
    Free Member

Ok, ta.

Interestingly, on that index, it is things like fatty pastries that come out worst (i.e. high fat high processed sugar in general). They seem to cause a disproportionate response from the body, compared to what you might predict based on their fat or carb content.

Mmmm just tucking into a croissant as we speak. 🙂

Certainly sets off all my BS alarm bells.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit confusing when some things have a higher GI but lower GL.

Wine gums = very high GI.
    One wine gum = low GL.

Interestingly, on that index, it is things like fatty pastries that come out worst (i.e. high fat high processed sugar in general)

Yeah, fat and sugar interact with each other. Apparently high fat diet is perfectly healthy unless you have refined carbs with it which makes it really bad. This is where the fat = bad thing comes from, because we were all eating lots of refined carbs all along.

grum
    Free Member

Wine gums = very high GI.
    One wine gum = low GL.

Yeah that makes sense – I was being lazy and not really reading what GL means. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Doing the iDiet/4HB for 6 months or so seems to have changed the mass at which my body naturally wants to sit.

I’m naturally skinny and have always been able to eat anything and stay at pretty much dead on 75kg. Doing iDiet for 6month dropped me to about 66kg and, after going back to normal eating for a while, just under 70kg seems to be my new norm.

I guess I’m probably eating fewer high-GL carbs without really thinking about it, rather than having a permanently changed metabolism?

Ben_H

I think carefully about what we do and what we eat, as a family.

In terms of what we do, the biggest thing I think that keeps us healthy (as a young family; 2 kids <5) is being able to walk or cycle a lot. Almost all of our peers moved to the suburbs or countryside in recent years, whereas we’ve stuck in a area where walking and cycling are essential to daily life. In the ‘burbs, I’d spend an hour or two a day commuting by car.

In terms of what we eat, it helps a lot that we make all our food. Pre-packed pizzas are our ready meals, but they’re a once-a-month occurence at most. The rest of the time, we make veg or meat stews / curries in large quantities – to last a few days and give quick food / re-heat options.

I have lots of friends who are putting on weight. It’s a lifestyle thing; not having the fundamentals in life (i.e. things you do / don’t do every day) set up right to sustain good health or at least a healthy weight.

miketually
    Free Member

In terms of what we do, the biggest thing I think that keeps us healthy (as a young family; 2 kids <5) is being able to walk or cycle a lot.

I saw a report yesterday saying that there was a correlation between obesity rates and walkable neighbourhoods.

SD-253
    Free Member

Fat people are fat because they eat to much. Anorexic are thin because they eat to little. The fat people come up with the normal lies: I have a low metabolic rate etc. Thin say they eat lots but just don’t put on weight. Every experiment where they actual make sure they know exactly what the person is eating and the amount of exercise they do always shows they are lying. These are the worse type of lies, they are lying to themselves.

A neighbour of mine says he can eat whatever he wants and not put on weight. I checked he works away weekends. “I go straight from work to bed” It turns out all he has a day for 3 days is a sandwich or a bag of crisps “some days have both”. My next question was: “you must have a massive scoff when you get back?” answer “no I am to tired I go straight to bed”. His wife said “he can eat anything” and “the next minute he is dead fussy with his food difficult to find something he will eat”. Seen him without a shirt he would have no problems getting work as an extra in concentration camp film. Mate recently died (obese) said he hardly eat anything. Found big tins of Quality Street and other chocolate hidden round the house.

What logical reason would result in a massive increase in obesity in 2 generation? Other than eating more calories than you need to maintain a healthy body weight? Anyone who Denies that the calories in calories out argument is in part the cause of the early death of 100,000s of people in Britain alone.

By the way obesity is measured by body fat not weight. Lots of children have been found to be Obese despite having a near normal body weight. The fat content of there body is to high relative to muscle content. If you went by weight alone all top body builders would be obese.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

@sugarnaut, if you’re still about….

It’s no problem. I read a couple of pages of the thread and thought I would highlight the fact that for some people it’s more complicated than it should be. It’s strange, I tend to feel like a prisoner trapped in my own life, and I’m not sure how I got here. It seems impossible to make a permanent change for the better.

I have tried/am trying to get help on the NHS, whether they can actually provide proper help remains to be seen. Unfortunately I cannot afford “private” help, although I imagine that would be ideal.

I spiralled into eating disorder behaviour after I started to diet, calorie count and experiment with so-called “healthy” diets like Paleo, IFing, etc. I found I started to binge, and then panic afterwards and restrict, which would then make me ravenously hungry so I’d binge, etc, etc.

The thing that helped me was the Intuitive Eating book which I got on kindle, it’s cheaper than a book, and they also have a website, which has a very kind and supportive online community. It really did encourage me to make peace with food, stop seeing food as being tied in with some kind of morality, and thinness as something that would make me a better person. I understood from reading the book (I eventually read it three times over, to understand the messages fully) that dieting does not and never will work, that the diet industry makes a profit from people’s dieting attempts failing, and that being fat is a character defect or a moral failing is just baloney.

It’s a tough process and it really does require mental toughness to be able to drown out diet talk, diet adverts, food advertising and all the conflicting messages we get about food and eating. But it is possible to heal your relationship with food if you want to. I felt a slave to food and dieting, even though I was preaching how great the Paleo diet was etc, and people were commenting how skinny I was, underneath I was mentally unhealthy, and I might have been a size 10, but I was bingeing in secret, anxious over eating, and thinking about food, or what I would and wouldn’t eat, obsessively.

SD-253
    Free Member

The 500 calories a day twice a week diet knocked off a quick stone and half of me. Which I put on after a long stay in hospital and very long convalescence. I am sticking with it forever as it has some very good health benefits.

Note I found no negative effects including exerciseing on “starvation days” and no problem sticking to it. Which must be psychological ie tomorrow I can eat what I want. No feelings hunger even. Opps I tend to wake up more during the night. It is slightly harder to get back to sleep. Normally I sleep like i am comatose.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Doing the iDiet/4HB for 6 months or so seems to have changed the mass at which my body naturally wants to sit.

I’m naturally skinny and have always been able to eat anything and stay at pretty much dead on 75kg. Doing iDiet for 6month dropped me to about 66kg and, after going back to normal eating for a while, just under 70kg seems to be my new norm.

identical to my experience. I dropped from 75kg to 68kg in 6 months 3 years ago. I’m now back to eating crap again whilst retaining the breakfast bit of the idave.

I so far haven’t budged past 68 despite consuming loads of rubbish

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone who Denies that the calories in calories out argument is in part the cause

We’re not denying it, we’re saying it’s an oversimplification that can be unhelpful.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The 500 calories a day twice a week diet knocked off a quick stone and half of me. Which I put on after a long stay in hospital and very long convalescence. I am sticking with it forever as it has some very good health benefits.

There was an article on the bbc suggesting that 5 days in 60 gives the same health benefits (more total calories though).

pondo

The 500 calories a day twice a week diet knocked off a quick stone and half of me. Which I put on after a long stay in hospital and very long convalescence

Have you literally just been released and that’s why you’ve not read the preceding 17 pages? 🙂

SD-253
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    molgrips – Member
    Anyone who Denies that the calories in calories out argument is in part the cause
    We’re not denying it, we’re saying it’s an oversimplification that can be unhelpful

In what way is it an oversimplification? If you are talking about the phycology of the obese and anorexia nervosa. Then I am not sure how you can deal with that.

SD-253
    Free Member

.Have you literally just been released and that’s why you’ve not read the preceding 17 pages?

Yes

SD-253
    Free Member

.There was an article on the bbc suggesting that 5 days in 60 gives the same health benefits (more total calories though)

The only one I saw was the BBC programme where they were using the twice a week diet. I watched it twice.

grum
    Free Member

Here we go again.

Fat people are fat because they eat to much.

Crime is caused by criminals breaking the law.

Alcoholism is caused by drinking too much.

Shall we compile a list of some more of these incredibly useful nuggets of genius?

5thElefant
    Free Member

The only one I saw was the BBC programme where they were using the twice a week diet. I watched it twice.

Yeah, it was a recent article, here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25549805

ton

I have been a right greedy barstard today.
    porridge
    tuna salad butty
    fish n pea’s

and I am off for a few pints on the way home…………I am fecked 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Thin say they eat lots but just don’t put on weight.

I say this and it’s true.

pondo

SD-253 –

Have you literally just been released and that’s why you’ve not read the preceding 17 pages?

Yes [/quote]
    Well if you have a look back, maybe you could catch up and save everyone having to go through the same thing again.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well if you have a look back, maybe you could catch up and save everyone having to go through the same thing again.

To be fair, he might as well wait, as chances are everything will get repeated by the the teams soon enough.

SD-253
    Free Member

.ondo – Member
    SD-253 –
    Have you literally just been released and that’s why you’ve not read the preceding 17 pages?
    Yes

Well if you have a look back, maybe you could catch up and save everyone having to go through the same thing again No had my say. Thanks anyway

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

In what way is it an oversimplification?

there’s 17 pages on this thread so far… do you think the answer might lie within?

How much energy you ‘use up’ depends on a huge number of things. There are several energy stores in your body, and loads of hormones that regulate weight and appetite. What your body uses for fuel depends on some of the hormones and what you are actually doing. And HOW you are doing it. And what you did the few days before hand.

If you don’t eat enough, your body won’t want to exercise as hard, and it won’t recover as well. So by eating less, you might actually be ruining your chances of losing weight. But you might not. When you do your cycling, are you over or under your lactate threshold? Do you know where your threshold is? How much fat are you ‘burning’? How are your muscle glycogen stores? In the following two days, how much energy is your body going to use repairing itself? Is it going to burn fat to do this? When you eat a cake, how much energy is actually going into your muscle tissues? How much fat is being stored? What effect will that cake have on how your body uses energy on your ride later that day? Does the cake actually increase your rate of recovery? If you recover better, will you be able to ride harder the next day, thereby using up more energy? How much carbs, protein and fat should you eat to allow your body to recover but not store any fat? If you are under-fuelled, are you actually riding less hard? Even if your average speeds are the same, are you using the same energy source all the time? If you sprint up hills and ride slower on flats, are you using up the same amount of energy as if you spin at a more constant effort? Is the overall training stress on your body the same, or more, for the same average speed? Will 5 minutes spent sprinting overall use more energy than an hour spent spinning? And what kind of energy, including two days recovery?

When doing a long regular commute, I reached a weight loss plateau. I started eating Twixes and I lost another 2kg in two weeks. Someone else on a recent thread also reported that they ate more and lost weight.

Basically, you don’t really know how much energy you use up when riding, and you don’t know what your body is doing with the food you are putting in your mouth.

footflaps

Why spoil all the fun?

Jamie
    Free Member

Why spoil all the fun?

Fun? 😥

ton

come on Jamie….it is hilarious. the only people who seem to be bothered about us fatties being fat, are the healthy skinny fit ones…. 😆

pondo

To be fair, he might as well wait, as chances are everything will get repeated by the the teams soon enough.

It was said in hope, as much as anything – and just when we all seemed to be reaching a consensus too… 🙁

pondo

In what way is it an oversimplification?

Google is your friend.

molgrips
    Free Member

I must admit this thread has been better than usual. I think it’s time for a closing summary, don’t you?

1. The mechanisms by which our bodies store excess fat are complicated.

2. If you are lazy and stuff your face, you have a good chance of being fat. If this is you, then ELMM is a good start.

3. If you are in denial about what you eat, this is not good. Some fat people are weak willed and stuff their faces; some do not. Some are in denial, some are not.

4. There are other ways to lose weight effectively and healthily that might suit you better than ELMM; ELMM may not work for you at all for a variety of reasons.

5. If you are exercising hard then it gets more complicated

6. It’s much harder for some people to lose weight than others.

7. If you have failed to lose weight, it is not necessarily because you are a failure.

8. Being nasty to or about fat people is not nice.

Jamie
    Free Member

1. The mechanisms by which our bodies store excess fat are complicated.

2. If you are lazy and stuff your face, you have a good chance of being fat. If this is you, then ELMM is a good start.

3. If you are in denial about what you eat, this is not good. Some fat people are weak willed and stuff their faces; some do not. Some are in denial, some are not.

4. There are other ways to lose weight effectively and healthily that might suit you better than ELMM; ELMM may not work for you at all for a variety of reasons.

5. If you are exercising hard then it gets more complicated

6. It’s much harder for some people to lose weight than others.

7. If you have failed to lose weight, it is not necessarily because you are a failure.

TL:DR

Eat less, move more.

ton

depends if they can ride your arse off or not molly……. 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Meh.

I can’t see how over complication is any better than over simplification, particularly in the context of public health.

I’d be interested to know how much of the complicated stuff is actually put into practise, and whether or not it is working.

I’m sticking to simple; just done 65 miles on a cup of coffee for breakfast and a bottle of water. I am absolutely wasted and had to crawl upstairs when I got in, but it works for me.

SD-253
    Free Member

Sorry suggested I was finished but I’m back.
    As stated by crikey – Member over complication is just as bad and what can you do with this vast array of knowledge, it is unusable.
    Just as matter of interest how can I manage to eat nothing till 8pm and exercise (albeit not excessively) and not feel any ill effects? This is not a rhetorical question.

grum
    Free Member

I can’t see how over complication is any better than over simplification, particularly in the context of public health.

How about the right level of complication/simplification?

what can you do with this vast array of knowledge, it is unusable.

What a stupid thing to say. 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

what can you do with this vast array of knowledge

Create a simple script with options for people to follow. ELMM, 5:2, Low GI etc – and make it NHS sponsored so there’s no marketing bollocks involved.

Then most people would be doing one of say 5 eating plans, and shared experiences would help matters along.

how can I manage to eat nothing till 8pm and exercise (albeit not excessively) and not feel any ill effects?

You’ve used some of your muscle glycogen stores, but a lot of fat. You’re good at using fat and because you didn’t ride too hard you just burned fat, which is easy for your body to do (provided you have enough oxygen available) and doens’t make you very tired. Since you have lots of fat stores (even skinny people do) you’ve got no ill effects.

If you’d pushed yourself hard you’d probably feel worse because of lower muscle glygocen stores, I’d guess.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 722 total)

The topic ‘This Obesity Thing’ is closed to new replies.