Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • This (new?) trend of people paying for bike fitting services
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Naaah, it’s only stuff he’s read in books, just do your own research and save a few bob.
    I mean who needs professional advise when there’s Google and Wiki

Absolutely – Physio is another simple thing complicated by people who want to make you think you cant sort your own injuries out. Got pain – move about but stay short of pain – your body will do the rest.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Absolutely – Physio is another simple thing complicated by people who want to make you think you cant sort your own injuries out. Got pain – move about but stay short of pain – your body will do the rest.

brilliant trolling. let me be the first to congratulate you. 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

Is it trolling if it’s true?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm beginning to suspect that the OP doesn’t have a genuine interest in people’s responses to the question he originally posed and is merely looking for an opportunity to reinforce his own superiority complex 🙁

glupton1976
    Free Member

is merely looking for an opportunity to reinforce his own superiority complex

My superiority complex doesn’t need reinforced. 😀

TiRed

Exactly. One of those was my bike fit 😉 . I learned from it, adjusted, and now use that knowledge to fit others. I had a persistent itb injury, and examination of frame geometry revealed that my bikes weren’t set up the same for reach, i just used the same saddle in the same position on the rails. Moved the saddle forward 1 cm and all pain dissapeared and 200 mile weeks were no problem – 100 of which were being ridden on the offending fixed road bike.

My cadence is 90rpm, and i ride for 600 minutes a week. That’s 72,000 pedal strokes per week. Of course fit matters and using some knowledge to minimise the risk of repetitive strain is important.

As for, mtb fit – i’m honest enough to say that I just use what i know about road bikes. Saddle in same position for pedalling, but reach seems entirely personal depending on riding style.

twonks

I’ve just looked over the last couple of pages on this thread and find the discussion interesting – until I reached this point.

The above statement is frankly short sighted and the reason a lot of people have ailments and restricted movements within muscles etc.

If one thinks that the way to repair and regain use of damaged body parts – in particular muscles and tendons – is to not stress them and simply move around the problem, then one is going to suffer in the long run.

Stretching into the pain zone and holding it is what is needed in a lot of cases, and avoiding it is about the worst thing one can do.

cinnamon_girl

I wish to take issue with crikey – you, as a medic, should know that not everyone starts off cycling with a perfectly functioning and perfectly aligned body.

Please explain to me, as an inexperienced roadie, exactly how I’m supposed to work out the set up whilst taking into account the foibles of my beaten up body?

I will of course hold up my limp hand and confess to being a Southern softie and will be most being interested to hear what a ‘Northern hard man’ has to say. 😉

bellefied
    Free Member

Shame glupton didn’t find anything in his books about how to cure his small penis syndrome, it would have saved us from having to put up with his trolling

glupton1976
    Free Member

The above statement is frankly short sighted and the reason a lot of people have ailments and restricted movements within muscles etc.

The statement in question was written by a physio who works in elite sport.

If one thinks that the way to repair and regain use of damaged body parts – in particular muscles and tendons – is to not stress them and simply move around the problem, then one is going to suffer in the long run.

Show me where I said that.

Stretching into the pain zone and holding it is what is needed in a lot of cases, and avoiding it is about the worst thing one can do.

No, not ever. This would just serve to increase tension in a muscle and increase pain. Stretch reflex anyone?

twonks

Show me where I said that.

Did you or did you not make the above comment not so long ago?

If you don’t mean to include muscles and tendons in your original comment, then there isn’t a lot else one can associate with your words.

glupton1976
    Free Member

How did you get from:

Got pain – move about but stay short of pain – your body will do the rest.

to

?

twonks

This is getting silly.

You said move about but stay short of pain.

So from that how do you aim to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon for example. it has to be stretched and held for a period of time to elongate the tendon back to its pre broken state.

This can not be done by carrying on as normal and stopping short of pain.

I know this as I snapped my AT two years ago.

njee20
    Free Member

The statement in question was written by a physio who works in elite sport.

Must be right then, he’s a professional. Like bike fitters. Y’know – the ones whose work you’re dismissing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member

…. gag Stretch reflex anyone?

glupton1976
    Free Member

You said move about but stay short of pain.

Yes, but you interpreted that as move around pain – avoid movements that “might” cause pain. Two totally different things.

So from that how do you aim to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon for example. it has to be stretched and held for a period of time to elongate the tendon back to its pre broken state.

This can not be done by carrying on as normal and stopping short of pain.

I feel that you might have been experiencing discomfort, but calling it pain. Bit like the rest of the population and a big part of the reason that obesity levels are sky-rocketing.

MrSmith
    Free Member

does chuck norris know you are in town?
    think i just found me a new hero.

ransos
    Free Member

I give up.

I compare it to buying a pair of shoes and having to pay extra to have someone tell you the right size.

Have you never had your feet measured?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

meh

twonks

I feel that you might have been experiencing discomfort, but calling it pain. Bit like the rest of the population and a big part of the reason that obesity levels are sky-rocketing.

Discomfort is pain. Degrees of which differ between people and situations. You don’t have to be going through your leg with a blunt hacksaw to feel ‘pain’.

FWIW I have felt and seen a lot of pain in 40+ years and I would class forcing my leg over into an Achilles stretch as pain – especially the first few times.

As far as this thread goes I’ve commented and made my point so I’ll give up as it is going some what OT.

boxfish
    Free Member

I could bring some anecdotal evidence to this thread but in true keyboard warrior style, someone awesome would be waiting to shoot it down with their overbearing I-know-better-than-you attitude.

Threads like this, which descend into some sort of hyperbolic ****-fest are truly stultifying. I’m off to bang my head against a brick wall for bothering to contribute.

Apologies for this pointless post.

epicyclo

Has there been any research done into bikefit for unfit individuals and people who only use their bikes occasionally (like once a week)?

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m not sure once a week counts as occasional, try once a month in the summer after Wimbledon !

Sorry

Another pointless post, just like most of the others on here !

mrlebowski
    Free Member

We all have niggling injuries – whether we choose to moan about them or let them effect us or not is a different matter.

Surely you meant “We all have niggling injuries – whether we choose to let someone else’s discomfort & how they choose to deal with it bother us or not, is really the matter….”

oldgit
    Free Member

I fancy another lap of this thread, but don’t know what to say?

Ooh I don’t have any injuries, none whatsoever.

TiRed

[pantomime] Oh yes you do!… [/pantomime]

oldgit
    Free Member

Ohh no I don’t 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

STW at its best!

I still can’t get past the fact that a lit of people are so obsessed with what others do with their money. Who cars, its none if your business. If someone wants to pay for a bike fit great its their money not yours. It doesn’t hurt anyone.

As for Crikey measuring pictures? Really? You need to spend more time riding your bike.

I’ve not had a bike fit and don’t intend to but have no strong feelings either way. I bought a road bike this year and haven’t really fiddled with it other than saddle height and angle. It feels OK, I get a bit of lower back pain as distances increase but I put this down to not being in said position for so long. The more I ride it the less I notice these things.

What I can’t understand is the superiority complex people have and the instance because they wouldn’t choose to spend theotheir money on something then everyone who does is wrong and should be berated on here. Who cares? Its not your money so doesn’t affect you.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m upset Crikey went to ground after admitting he measured photos, and yet denounces anyone spending £50 on a bike fit.

I see Glupton is back to his old trolling ways too. Thought they only overturned your ban on the grounds you play nice?

twonks

Spose I added a bit of fuel to the OT fire with Glupton… oops and sorry.

I’ve not posted on here for ages – years in fact (other than a few classifieds),and thought it about time I got back involved.

Probably should have come back in a bit less argumentative… lol.

As for the bike fit question, it is something that is relatively new with the advent of optical sensors and being able to track movement of body parts etc. This means that people can charge top money for an ‘optimised computer based setup’ and then others maybe jump on the bandwagon offering old school style sit and have a look type bike fits.

From a shops point of view, it is just another sell up when going through the bike sale.

Ultimately it is just a personal preference. If somebody chooses to spend £150+ on a full fit when they have just spent £4000 on a new road bike then who is anybody to argue.

I’ve been cycling for 25+ yrs and never had somebody else fit me for a bike, but sometimes I wish I had when I get off the road bike after a few hours ;o)

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m upset Crikey went to ground after admitting he measured photos, and yet denounces anyone spending £50 on a bike fit.

i wouldn’t get upset by what somebody says on the internet, just laugh at them instead.

crikey
    Free Member

That would be ‘went to work’ rather than went to ground. Would you like to call me some more names?

ruffride
    Free Member

Wtf is this you can pay to have someone make the bike fit you, lol wow this is getting a real snob sport now.
    If only you could do this with a wife it cost a lot more than £50 to try a few lol. I’m a lover of run with what you can afford an kill it if you ride it after a few times you grow into it

MrSmith
    Free Member

keeping the freeride ethos alive dude.
    ‘hi-5’ 8)

crikey
    Free Member

I wish to take issue with crikey – you, as a medic, should know that not everyone starts off cycling with a perfectly functioning and perfectly aligned body.

Please explain to me, as an inexperienced roadie, exactly how I’m supposed to work out the set up whilst taking into account the foibles of my beaten up body?

I will of course hold up my limp hand and confess to being a Southern softie and will be most being interested to hear what a ‘Northern hard man’ has to say.

The point of everything I’ve said is that you can do it yourself because it isn’t hard, and then use that knowledge as you continue to cycle.

No one has a perfectly functioning or perfectly aligned body, but you can make it work better on a bike by understanding how to fit it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I will of course hold up my limp hand and confess to being a Southern softie and will be most being interested to hear what a ‘Northern hard man’ has to say.

The point of everything I’ve said is that you can do it yourself because it isn’t hard, and then use that knowledge as you continue to cycle.

No one has a perfectly functioning or perfectly aligned body, but you can make it work better on a bike by understanding how to fit it.

Which can be done by spending time measuring photos instead of riding…just make sure you get the scale right. 😆

Sorry mate, I couldn’t resist.

crikey
    Free Member

S’ok, everyone else seems to think it’s hilarious too.

To me, with no internet because it was so long ago, and only a few mags to work with, it was a very good way to look at how good riders set their bikes up and to see how they had put the easy stuff that anyone can learn into practice.

It’s even easier now, with loads of sites on the web, loads of pics, loads of ‘pro bike of the week’ stuff.

Before the stupids start; I’m not suggesting that you model your position on any pro rider, but it’s interesting to see how people who ride for a living set their bikes up.

glupton1976
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

I remember when camcorders first came out…early 80’s I asked someone to film my position. When that got out it caused much hilarity and finger pointing. How times have changed.

Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘This (new?) trend of people paying for bike fitting services’ is closed to new replies.