Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 199 total)
  • This (new?) trend of people paying for bike fitting services
  • brooess
    Free Member

The cost of a bike set up is a hell of a lot cheaper than the physio sessions needed to straighten you back out if you get it wrong.

Surely it’s up to people to pay for this stuff if they want?

crikey
    Free Member

Yes, but as I have said a couple of times now, not that anyone is listening, if you do it yourself, and learn about the principles involved, you can understand what is going on and use the knowledge you have gained.

Or just chuck some money at someone in true STW fashion.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do any LBS’s still make nice custom road frames any more. I remember being in my early teens and dreaming of owning my own custom sized frame ( just about every local frame builder did them in the 70’s 80’s.) Now all the local builders round my way are straight off the peg frames, so to some degree that bike has to be fitted around you.

You would hope that when parting with vast sums of money, the bike industry would want to make sure that there £2k lump of metal/plastic would fit you correctly, and therefore you would be happy with your purchase, but no we will charge you £2k for the bike, and then charge you some more to make sure it fits you, and then charge you some more to put the right stem/seat post etc on it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The cost of a bike set up is a hell of a lot cheaper than the physio sessions needed to straighten you back out if you get it wrong.

This.

A few millimeters out with stem or saddle position, and you risk turning your new racing bike into a deathtrap.

I’m one of the more experienced cyclists at work, and it’s almost become my duty to pull the newer guys (and gals) aside and offer them some advice.

If you don’t know your arse from your elbow, don’t even think about adjusting your setup. Go and get fitted. These aren’t toys, they’re serious bits of kit. And if you can get yourself on a skills course, then all the better.

mrmo
    Free Member

Does any still make nice custom road frames any more. I remember being in my early teens and dreaming of owning my own custom sized frame ( just about every local frame builder did them in the 70’s 80’s. Now all the local builders round my way are straight off the peg frames, so to some degree that bike has to be fitted around you.

yes, just don’t expect the “niche” brands to be of any help.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Utter shite.

scaredypants

crikey – Member
    Yes, but as I have said a couple of times now, not that anyone is listening, if you do it yourself, and learn about the principles involved, you can understand what is going on and use the knowledge you have gained.

Or just chuck some money at someone in true STW fashionDare I say, crikey, …?
    In true stw fashion you’ve repeated this here and before (I think), hinting that you have some knowledge but not actually offering anything constructive

links?
    actual advice ?

crikey
    Free Member

Get your mum or some other grown up to read back through my posts and you will see that I have suggested that you look up bike fitting on the internet or go to the library, which is a big building with books inside.

How much help do you need?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why not just pay somebody to do it? They will be better qualified than somebody who read lots of spurious advice from the Internet, and its easier for them to see you pedalling and your cleat set-up.

But then I’m a bit odd in that I buy energy bars and recovery drinks instead of saving a few pennies and spending time making my own. 🙄

scaredypants

I don’t need any help, ta (I don’t ride much so no big deal whether it all fits)

other than in understanding why you …

a) needed to post on this thread at all – do you think people haven’t heard of the internet or libraries (both are quite large and content-rich; what if people find advice of which you disapprove ?) (now, granted, Glupton’s started it off all supercilious but he really doesn’t need the help in that regard)

b) need to air your ego so actively (hint, this may be related to a)

c) can’t find it in your heart to help out a bit (may be related to b)

Mum says I’ve got to go now – nighty night 😉

epicyclo

glupton1976 – Member
    And if you want to see that folk can ride stupid long distances on any old bike look at audaxes.

Says it all.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I know a man who rode a 300km audax on one of those. Finished not far behind the first person home either.

nonk
    Free Member

Dave t at his best . 😀

Euro
    Free Member

😀 @ Mr T

Bike fitting is another one of those things (like skills courses) that i’d never heard of until i joined here. Not for me personally but then i don’t take my cycling that seriously.

My mum had one of those in the 70s, it became my first mountain bike.

discoduck
    Free Member

I can’t believe some one else used their Mums bike as a mountain bike !

I did exactly the same thing on my mothers raleigh but hers had a wicker basket on it ! And it was step thro racer not a Raleigh Twenty ?

Anyway

I think I’m going to sack off proper biking and buy a Road Bike, buy some Lycra and put on a few stone to see if a bike fit will reveal the use of a slack bungee in my back ?

Then I can pay some one to tell me I need ramps putting under my cleats, ill get more power my back will stop aching the strain in my neck will disappear, the strength in my legs will busy through my Lycra and I can view all of these magnificent life changing events through my Oakleys “not over the top of them” whilst all the physios pack up shop and go out of business because lo and behold bike fitting has bestowed upon us the miracle we have all been waiting for,

“A fool and his money are easily parted”
    Now where did I put my magic beans ?

scotroutes

Behind the tin of snake oil

grahamg
    Free Member

I had a fit for a custom bike – turned out I’m slightly freaky in terms of measurements (5’10” 34″ inside leg) and ended up with a frame that finally fitted properly.

I’d have just carried on being hideously uncomfortable and buying endless different frames to try out, but conversely 85% of people are pretty ‘standard’ and will fit on most bikes with minimal fuss.

This is all in relation to road bikes though. My fit was an old fashioned by eye job and was free (£50 if you didn’t buy a frame/bike afterwards)

crosshair
    Free Member

I think it’s great for another cycling related industry to spring up.
    I’ve never had one but if I ever get into my dark side riding, I’d certainly consider it.
    Yes, I could google and read about it but I’d probably find 10 different ways of doing everything.
    My spare time is precious- I’d rather spend my time pushing the pedals around rather than fannying about possibly making things worse.

instanthit
    Free Member

I have ridden road bikes for 30 years and consider myself able to set up a bike fit more by feel than anything else, however with ongoing shoulder/knee problems i threw some money at a bike fit last year. Guess what? My set up was only marginally out, but a tweek of the cleats and positioning to the last mm has made a massive difference to comfort and power. I can comfortably spend 5-6 hours in the saddle, the added bonus is my seated climbing improved.
    Money well spent, definitely recommend a fit.

epicyclo

Almost all the discomfort related to bike use is trying to setup up a bike like a racer – which is fine if you are of athletic build and wish to ride fast (I mean racer fast all the time).

When bikes were used as primary transport, riding positions were much more upright. People used to cover tens of thousands of miles on such bikes annually without problems.

The more upright you put yourself the less problem you have with bike comfort.

funkrodent

I can see why if you were a serious roadie, looking to do hundreds of miles a week, in a relatively fixed and stretched position, it would make sense to get fitted. If spending £50 or so could mean the difference between a knackered back/knee and not then it’s worth it. Can’t see it as being so important for MTB, though skills courses certainly are and a lot of what they teach is about getting your position correct on the bike, as I understand it.
    I was getting really bad pains in my knees a few years ago. A mate who worked in a bike shop did an impromptu fit. We changed a few things around and the pains went away. I was (am) a reasonably experienced cyclist, but having someone else look at what I was doing was a huge benefit. In my case the advice was free (other than the usual beers), but I would happily have paid for it if necessary

fasthaggis

I found being in a bike club was the best way of getting a good bike fit/set up.
    Real experiences passed down made it easier to pin point ways that I could get a better fit or sort out any annoying aches .
    Cost me a fair bit in coffee and biscuits mind 😉 .
    If people cycle alone ,maybe visiting a good bike shop ,that gives advice on fitting and set up is the only option .

thomthumb
    Free Member

You can say this about any service industry.

The majority of people pay for cars to be serviced, but they are probably capable of doing it.Only a minority of people pay for ironing to be done, most of them are capable of doing it. why are they any different? culture?

It’s about short cutting to the end goal.

discoduck
    Free Member

Epicyclo: You have hit the nail on the head there my friend !

Fasthaggis: very much like sessioning rock drops at Wharncliffe ! You soon get to grips with your riding when your in a group, the banter ensures you put your weight forwards backwards or side to side, riding each others bikes and trying out new kit was all part of the process, there’s some interesting opinions in the for camp and defining opinions in the against, a trip over the bars in a corner or positioning your weight mid air on a jump is something you can learn but its easier to ride with your mates and watch how they do it !

Monkey see Monkey do !

I’m sure by now you all know which camp I’m in !

Just for the record, skills courses are also a waste of time and money 😆

crikey
    Free Member

I had a fit for a custom bike – turned out I’m slightly freaky in terms of measurements (5’10” 34″ inside leg) and ended up with a frame that finally fitted properly.

Yet I would guess that your position can be replicated on any number of off-the-peg bikes, and your ‘custom’ frame comes with an adjustable seat post and stem…

The more upright you put yourself the less problem you have with bike comfort.

Until you start riding your upright bike up hills and for long distances; I’ve ridden a trad Dutch bike around Amsterdam for 4 hours and was uncomfortable after 1 hour.

My point is that fitting a bike is relatively easy, it just requires an hour or two of learning about it and then you have the knowledge to do it again and again. A bit like giving a man a fish might feed him for a meal, but him learning to fish allows him to escape his wife and children for many happy days of solitude.

swiss01
    Free Member

last time I looked I was unable to see my own position on a bike. I can’t get my eyes out on stalks like glupton obviously can but I guess, as he says, it’s a bit like dentistry – once you know the principles you can do it yourself.

i agree with both fasthaggis and epicyclo on the grounds that they’re right. I’ve no strong feelings on bike fit but i do think it needs revisited dependent at the very least because as you get older your position changes (and does cost considerably more than physio to fix thatn a bike fit). i got one of my old bikes out of the shed recently having not cycled it for some years – a machine of torture!

crikey
    Free Member

last time I looked I was unable to see my own position on a bike.

If you feel the need to do this, mirrors are useful.

jimmers
    Free Member

My pennies worth. Bought a second hand road bike many years ago. Guessed the size. Top tube reach was ok. Tried different stems and all. Thought the setup was fine until I did a century. My god the pain!

Sold it.

Didn’t bother with the dark side for many years until I bought a bike from Planet X. I had a Retul bike fit ( half price with bike purchase) to double check bike fit. New bike spot on. Did the Fred Whitton and a 200km Audax and no problems with pain.

I have been MTBing for donkeys years but knew shite about roadie stuff. My opinion is if you are paying serious money to kit I wanted to make it was spot on and didn’t become an excuse for failing to observe the fifth rule!

jimmers
    Free Member

Edit: double post

jimmers
    Free Member

Edit: double post

glupton1976
    Free Member

I can’t get my eyes out on stalks like glupton obviously can but I guess, as he says, it’s a bit like dentistry – once you know the principles you can do it yourself.

WTF are you talking about?

Bike fit = aye – that feels about right. Home Dentistry? You been trying to numb your mouth and gone straight into your brain?

jameso

Until you start riding your upright bike up hills and for long distances; I’ve ridden a trad Dutch bike around Amsterdam for 4 hours and was uncomfortable after 1 hour.

I rode a very short-reach MTB with swept-back bars level with the saddle across the states, pretty hilly mixed-terrain route, very long days back to back. Super comfy, well as comfy as you can be in the circumstances. Epicyclo is largely right imo ) There’s upright and there’s bars in the sky, there’s a balance as always.

Bike fitting isn’t something everyone relates to and there’s a lot of conflicting and even BS theory out there to wade through. I find there’s a few simple principles that work but that comes from taking a lot of fit system waffle and looking for the basics in it all.
    I thought I understood bike frames and fit pretty well but always had one niggling pain, chatting to someone with a different perspective of fit from riding totally different bikes lead to me trying something that cured it. I’d read a lot on fit theory but I doubt I’d have found that tip/link between discomfort and bike set up. If I’d paid for that info as part of a fit review I’d say it was worth £50, just simple consultancy really – there’s good ones and there’s quacks.
    Some find they fit comfortably on bikes easier than others I guess. Few of us are truly open-minded to all possibilities to be able to test out the options that may work so advise from a friend who knows their stuff or fitting as a service, who cares how you do it if it gets you comfy on your bike.

FuzzyWuzzy

The whole DIY thing certainly can work (and has for the vast majority of people) however it’s a hassle and takes a lot longer than getting a decent bike fitter. A lot of fit is about angles and distances, the first is a pig to measure for yourself and the second is difficult to do unless you have an adjustable rig in your garage or access to a range of stems etc. It can also take a fair bit of riding to show up niggles, do you really want to have to cycle 30+ miles to check out each minor adjustment you make?

I actually had a fit myself recently (mostly because I was going to the place to get a fitness test done anyway). I didn’t have any niggles pre-fit and wasn’t expecting much to need changing but figured it would be a bit of peace of mind if I increased my riding and started getting issues. In the end one bike didn’t need anything changing and the other the saddle was 1cm too far forward (I hadn’t even bothered to match my bike set-ups myself…). So you could say it was a complete was of money but I’m still happy enough I did it.

jameso

do you really want to have to cycle 30+ miles to check out each minor adjustment you make?

I think you need to really, what works on first impressions isn’t always best. This is why I’m sceptical of most fit systems that use formulas and a lot of limb length measurements during a one-off session. It’s not really something that can be formalised like that.

crikey
    Free Member

It can also take a fair bit of riding to show up niggles, do you really want to have to cycle 30+ miles to check out each minor adjustment you make?

But by the same token, how many bike fits allow you to go out and ride for a week or for 500 miles then go back and repeat the process?

If you learn how to do it yourself, you can adjust things as much as you need to.

I know that of all the pro cyclists I watch on the telly, none will have started their careers by getting a bike fit; they got a bike and they rode it, lots, and refined their position over time.

MrSmith
    Free Member

if you don’t want to pay for a bike fit as it’s a waste of money then don’t pay for a bike fit.
    no need to over think your decision.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of people on a bikes in terrible positions, but it feels right for them because they are used to it.

Its only when an injury comes along that they start to look into it more.

Stem spacers are a prime example, so many more people could benefit from higher bars but aesthetics and fashion dictate otherwise.

Painey
    Free Member

A friend of mine (who has a fair bit of cycling experience) put on facebook recently that she’d got a new bike and spent 2.5 hours having it “professionally fitted”.

Two and a half hours!! If it’s worth it to her then it’s money well spent but it sounds to me like someone creating a “problem” she never knew existed and then stretching out the length of time it takes to fix it in order to justify it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Two and a half hours!! If it’s worth it to her then it’s money well spent but it sounds to me like someone creating a “problem” she never knew existed and then stretching out the length of time it takes to fix it in order to justify it.

Depends on a few things:

1. does this include picking the bike and having it built
    2. it was free anyway
    3. how big her tits are and how low the stem can go

mrblobby
    Free Member

Amusing thread 🙂

Are you not capable of adjusting your bike yourself based on how it feels?

Interesting question though. I think most riders can set up a bike based on feel. Probably end up in much the same position as the last bike and the one before. Is that the best position for you to be in though for whatever it is you want to be doing on the bike?

If you’re racing where a few watts can make a big difference, or your touring and need to be on the bike for hundreds of miles, then sounds pretty sensible to have a second opinion from someone who has a lot of experience of fitting many different rides to many different bikes.

Not done it myself but have heard enough people praise it to be a bit curious, and a local fitter has agreed to do a free demo, so I’ll be popping along to check it out.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘This (new?) trend of people paying for bike fitting services’ is closed to new replies.