Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • This might be controversial, but….
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

…. over the years the way my mountain biking has evolved I either love doing mass start events such as the Dyfi Enduro or the Scott MTB marathon series as much for the social as the “racing” element to which you can add actual racing in the form of 12 & 24hr solo and team events or when not doing events such as this heading out round the locale or into Wales for mainly solo rides, sometimes with a mate.

I don’t like messing about in the woods, big group rides and I’m not a huge fan of trail centres, don’t get me wrong but they can be just plain busy. With the current situation, I can’t go to Wales, the local area is so bloody busy with people coming over to take their essential “exercise” and with the type of events that I love getting cancelled / postponed left right and bloody centre I just can’t be arsed. I haven’t ridden my MTB since October last year and that was on a gravel type ride as my CX bike was bolted to the trainer, before that I actually think it was a quick ride in August and then Easter time it last got used, considering it was brand new in February it’s a bit of a shame.

Looking at my Strava for last year the vast majority of my mileage was road based, miles easier to avoid the crowds and I’ve just bought myself a gravel bike for mixing in a bit of the odd off-road and hoping that the few gravel events I want to do actually go ahead, if not its ITT kind of stuff that the Racing Collective and those kind of people run.

I haven’t ridden outside since afore mentioned MTB / Gravel excursion at the end of October but have still managed to clock 1400k or saddle time, on the trainer, partly because of the amount of people about, the shit weather, time constraints and frankly I really can’t be bothered riding outside for a couple of hours and then spending another 30-40 minutes cleaning the bike, the kit and myself.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What’s controversial? You are stating your personal preference, which is yours to hold and evolve as you evolve.

trailwagger
    Free Member

So whats your point?

joefm

not sure. think something to do with being agoraphobic

the-muffin-man

I’ve got to the stage where I find it far easier not to ride anymore! 🙂

ads678

I’ve never raced, probably never will. I love playing in the woods with mates, trail centres are fine and I love big days out in the mountains.

Gravel is probably king nowadays for me though, local trails are dull so rigid racier bike kind of makes them ‘come alive’!!

Each to their own, just have fun.

mjsmke

Try setting yourself a training challenge if you enjoy the racing elements. I know it is unlikely for any events to run this year but think of where your fitness level could be in a years time if you train now.

I too haven’t been off road much recently. Just can’t be bothered with constant cleaning (bikes are kept indoors). I had a lot of fun creating new routes on strava to find keep the motivation up and discovered a few new hills (mostly road). Also just converted my xc bike to single speed which is almost like that new bike feeling and set a few goals.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I really can’t be bothered riding outside for a couple of hours and then spending another 30-40 minutes cleaning the bike

I get this too, it passes after a while, but tbh it’s got f all to do with how busy places are, events being cancelled or anything else, no point flinging blame about.

kimbers

40 mins cleaning the bike?

Scrape off the worst of mud before you load up in the car, wipe down the drive train with an old tea towel, put bike away.
    Use another old tea towel to brush off the dried on mud before the next ride.

Better for your bearings and more fun for you

(I do a proper clean every month or 2 when I’ve got a Saturday afternoon free)

jam-bo

i cant be arsed riding bikes anymore when the weather is shit. I just go running instead.

jameso

I don’t like messing about in the woods

Yes. Highly controversial. What’s wrong with you? : )

tenfoot

I really can’t be bothered riding outside for a couple of hours and then spending another 30-40 minutes cleaning the bike, the kit and myself.

Full length mudguards for the cx/gravel bike. It’s made a massive difference for me.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don’t think theres anything controversial about finding your cycling kicks away from ‘the norm’.

Nor should you be worried about your own personal evolution.

Bike riding is a different thing to everyone.

a11y

Full length mudguards for the cx/gravel bike. It’s made a massive difference for me.

^ This. SKS Edge AL 56 on mine all-year round, mainly because it doubles as my commuter (ha!). Even with 700x50s and taking it round my local trail centre they’re not a hindrance.

tetrode
    Free Member

This year I’ve moved to the FOD, ridden MTB more than ever, gotten fitter and finally embraced riding in sloppy conditions. It’s tough, cold, but once you just accept that you’ll be messy, it’s amazing fun.

Post ride ritual is hose down the bike, dry it then lube chain and put it away, and stuff all the clothes in the wash. Takes 10 minutes of work tops after 2 hours of fun. As well as that my bike handling skills have rocketed so when the dry comes back, I’ll be so much more confident.

docrobster
    Free Member

Post ride I put the bike in the shed. Next ride I knocked the dried on mud off and oil the rusty chain. Get undressed by the back door. Throw kit in washing machine. Rinse and repeat.
    Controversial?😳

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m amazed that people think there is a ‘norm’ from which to deviate; and that they think it’s a big deal if you do. The good thing about cycling is that there’s many ways to do it, and of course they’re all equally valid – why wouldn’t they be?

Ride what you like.

I really can’t be bothered riding outside for a couple of hours and then spending another 30-40 minutes cleaning the bike

This is just a practical failure though. I just hose my bike off in 5 mins and because I use the right lube I can just put it away. Even before that it only took me 10. 30 mins is bonkers, think about your process!

haywain
    Free Member

I do pretty much the same (as docrobster) although lately I’ve been finding that the mud doesn’t dry enough to be just knocked off, and I spend as much time cleaning the bike before a ride as I would have done cleaning it after a ride!

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Part of what keeps winter/covid riding interesting for me, with less days out to wales etc – is tinkering with the bike. Trying new things to see if I can get a more confident feeling on the bike. I’ll quite happily spend all day sectioning a trail and bracketing the suspension methodically,
    adjusting bar height, trying different tyres trailside, different head angles etc.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve read the OP and am struggling to think why it would be controversial, or indeed why he’d want it to be thought controversial.

Sounds like someone who likes riding a bike……though actually given some of the comments on STW over the years maybe that is controversial…!!

hardtailonly

^ This. SKS Edge AL 56 on mine all-year round, mainly because it doubles as my commuter (ha!). Even with 700x50s and taking it round my local trail centre they’re not a hindrance.

This. I’ve a Cotic Escapade set up SS and with full length SKS Al Edge mudguards, is my mainly used bike just now. Keeps the worst of the mud and wet off, ok on the road, and will give me my regular (tame) off-road fix. Quick hose, dry chain with a rag, lube, job’s done in 5 minutes ready for the next ride.

I also have a SS HT, but despite being intended as a winter plugger, I can’t face the constant filth at the moment.

Have also done a couple of urban CX/gravel rides recently. And also a couple of urban MTB rides with ginnels, sets of steps etc.

For my sanity, I have to get out most days for fresh air and exercise (turbo/Zwift just don’t cut it for me), and these (and trail running) are the ways I’m doing this just now.

steve_b77
    Free Member

This is just a practical failure though. I just hose my bike off in 5 mins and because I use the right lube I can just put it away. Even before that it only took me 10. 30 mins is bonkers, think about your process!
    Posted 4 hours ago

Clever clipping there, the time includes me and the kit and it’s just a faff I can do without at the moment

molgrips
    Free Member

Cleaning kit? I dump mine in a basket where it’ll get washed when the basket gets full, that takes 40 mins but the washing machine does most of it. I have a shower, that takes 5 mins. I still think you have significant room for optimisation.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘This might be controversial, but….’ is closed to new replies.