Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • This kid should be pretty good by the time he's a teenager
  • ianv
    Free Member

5 yr old ripper

Cool little vid 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

That’s awesome.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I reckon they used a stunt midget for that! Bit like the Hobbit but the other way around! 😉

hora
    Free Member

At risk of being flamed – that is possibly one of the most stupid and reckless things a parent can do. Too young.

mulv1976
    Free Member

At risk of being flamed – that is possibly one of the most stupid and reckless things a parent can do.

I don’t see why. It’s much better than plonking them in front if the tv for hours on end like most parents seem to do. As long as the wee man enjoys it, who give a toss what anyone else thinks anyway!

hambl90
    Free Member

Cool kid !

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

kids bounce, …he’s getting busy living … 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’m all for a measure of risk* but it has to be within parameters- on the first section of the downhill is circa 3-5metres of grass with netting (obviously a drop)- what if he made a mess of the bend and came off just before the bend?

Nevermind the stairs at the beginning (fullface?- an oversized fullface and a young neck).

I didn’t get any further into it- yes hes doing bloody well but I stopped watching after a short while.

*grazing knee, hands etc. Not stairs or a potentially fatal drop.

29erKeith
    Free Member

he looked safe enough to me, nothing to crazy at all imho, I am a long way from be Rad on the gnarr. Looks he’s got better skillz than half of the people on here myself included 😉

I can’t wait to get my little lad on to a bike

aracer
    Free Member

Pah – he took the chicken runs

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A 5 year old who can ride a bike down a relatively smooth trail. Impressive but not a massive risk I would have thought.

We have had more than one 4 year old doing a lake jump at the Big Bike Bash including one who did an almost perfect fully extended Superman in 2012 who’s photo was on the event schedule this year which pleased him.

warton
    Free Member

hora, what about if he was 10, or 12?

at the end of the day, its a kid, doing something he enjoys, would you say the parent was irresponsible if a 15 year old was doing it? he’s still in that parents care.

EDIT, and lets be honest, he’s hardly going fast is he.

dibboid
    Free Member

that is possibly one of the most stupid and reckless things a parent can do.

^^^^ Deffo this!! His wheels are far too small. He needs a £8k bike with 650b wheels first. 😀

edit: on a serious note tho my parents never knew where I was when I was a kid. I was building ramps out of timber I used to find that someone had fly tipped somewhere with house bricks. If my parents knew they would of been a wreck. I could of been doing anything and they wouldn’t of known. My mates used to jump 20 ft off the lock walls into a dirty canal in the summer. But yes I’m now a over protective parent because of what I used to do and see.

Wozza
    Free Member

Hahaha, he gets more air than some of my mates.

AlexSimon

Very strange choice of music!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lighten up Hora. My lad would love to do things like that. He had his first OTB this weekend at Mabie forest…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Nowt overly impressive about that. You get kids that age in the tweed valley absolutely ripping the trails to shreds.

tonyd

Blimey Hora, I was expecting backflips and 30ft drops from that reaction!

I think it’s great. OK, there are steep drops to one side but not for long and you’ve no idea how long he’s been riding that kind of terrain and how comfortable his Dad is with his ability. All in all the trail looked very tame and he looked well in control. Well done him, and well done his Dad for getting him good enough (and confident enough) to ride that stuff.

The only bit that made me wonder was the North Shore towards the end, one wrong turn and he’s off a drop, but I would imagine his Dad has walked him through it plenty of times.

luffy105
    Free Member

Also, it’s a different lifestyle in the mountains/ski resorts if you live there all year round with your family. Hard to explain but these kids dont have the sorts of activities that kids in towns/semi rural areas do.

For example, there aren’t soft plays, cinemas, bowling alleys etc that my kids have. Also there tend to be fewer kids in these areas so their friends tend to be of a much more diverse age group and often knock about with kids a few years older than them and do what they are doing. Plus, due to property prices out there, most people live in pretty small apartments so kids want to be out as much as possible.

This means that children there tend to go up the hill from a much earlier age and be it on skis or bikes etc and get used to the environment and it’s associated risks. When we lived in ski resorts I remember skiing with my friends kids when they were 4+ and the little buggers would hoon about like nutcases. Sadly they’re all 11+ now and leave us older folk for dust which is rather annoying. I really regret moving back to the UK just as my two were born because I would have loved them to have that kind of lifestyle. Far more fun and I find gives them the chance to develop at an early age.

tonyd

I was however very disappointed to see he wasn’t riding an Islabike. What was his Dad thinking? Clearly French!

luffy105
    Free Member

^They wouldn’t be able to pronounce it! 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

(dibboid) If my parents knew they would of been a wreck. I could of been doing anything and they wouldn’t of known

Yes, you could have been learning English 😉

ianv
    Free Member

I was however very disappointed to see he wasn’t riding an Islabike. What was his Dad thinking?

He was thinking “if my son is going to ride downhill, I should buy him a bike that won’t snap in two at the first little bump”

robarnold
    Free Member

Ace, good lad

dabble
    Free Member

Lighten up Hora. My lad would love to do things like that. He had his first OTB this weekend at Mabie forest…

Why haven’t you written “Wack-a-day!” on his plaster? 80’s throwback fail.

Kid in the vid is cool as, i watched that with a big ole grin on my face. He really gets into it, even pumping the trail. Quality.

ocrider

Congratulations on mentioning Islabikes in a thread started by Ianv! 😆

Me and my daughter were sitting in the car just the other day, waiting to join a roundabout when a guy crossing the road on a bmx hopped onto and manualled the traffic island and hopped up the kerb the other side. She now wants a bike that ‘jumps’ this Xmas.

There is no way she will be seeing this clip, because she’ll be wanting a 20″ Ramones too and thats not happening this year, because I’ve just seen the price of them (€550)

ajc
    Free Member

Nothing in there that my boy wasn’t doing at the same age. All nice flowing smooth single track. its not like he was jumping and landing in a rock garden.Go to a bmx track and there are loads of little rippers. Hora you want to go and see what kids that age can do on ski’s, that would really upset you.

hora
    Free Member

😆 I’ve turned into overprotective Mumsnet dad

On the flipside my son started riding the national bmx track before he hit 2………..

mikey74
    Free Member

At risk of being flamed – that is possibly one of the most stupid and reckless things a parent can do. Too young.

Get over yourself!!

plyphon
    Free Member

Kids these days, that’s far to irresponsible.

When I was a wee lad I was smoking and drinking on corners and getting girls preggers like any normal 5 year old.

tonyd

Congratulations on mentioning Islabikes in a thread started by Ianv!

Thanks 🙂 I was wondering how long it would take him to bite, faster than expected as it turned out!

On the flipside my son started riding the national bmx track before he hit 2

I meant to ask Hora, it was you that was posting pics of your nipper on the BMX track a while ago wasn’t it? Double standards?!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘This kid should be pretty good by the time he's a teenager’ is closed to new replies.