• This topic has 33 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • This Kardashian thing
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t know much about them at all, but Khloe has now responded (to the furore around the natural/unedited pic shown in error and taken down) by saying she edits her pics due to the public pressure on her to look perfect (I paraphrase heavily).

Anyone think it’s also come about due to the behaviour of the family and how they publicise themselves and make their fortune?

(47 pages, 6 bannings and 267 mugs of tea predicted)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s getting a lot of people to Google her, someone might think it was a manufactured issue to drive those clicks.

But that would be cynical

They wouldn’t create a story to manipulate public opinion would they.

darthpunk
    Free Member

franksinatra

public pressure on her to look perfect

Translates as commercial pressure to look perfect. She is made an absolute fortune from her image and she is trying to protect that.

I don’t get it though, I really just don’t understand the point of these people.

DezB
    Free Member

Did I see an advert for a programme Kim is doing about prisons in the US? She looked like her make up was perfect in every shot. Good on her eh?!. Or, on second thoughts… her presence would actually stop me from watching something that might be interesting. Or, on 3rd thoughts… when’s Kanye’s new album out.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been forced to care about the Kardashians and their impact on the world due to my Son’s love of their TV series.

They’re shameless self-promoters and frankly despicable excuses for Humans, they are the logical conclusion of the social media obsessed era, the ultimate influencers, which is clear when you consider how they first become famous, it’s wasn’t as the socialite daughters of two famous fathers, but via a ‘leaked’ (aka ruthlessly promoted) sex tape.

Hopefully the cancelation of the series marks a turning point of this whole era, frankly it’s a bit rich of whichever Kardashian is spouting off about “public pressure on her to look perfect” as they are in no small part architects of it.

Sadly though, this latest “thing” is no mistake, no accident, but just the latest round of self-promotion. They have no boundaries, no limits. When Catlin caused a car crash which resulted in someone’s death, they simply included a clip of another car crash in the trailer for their next series.

I think that covers my feelings on them ha ha.

DezB
    Free Member

Reminds me of this BBC thing I started watching “When nudes are stolen” or something. This (muffled laughter) influencer and model had a whole programme to herself to complain/investigate/publicise that she’d “had to” take nude selfies for her modelling career and these selfies were “stolen” and used as profiles by other people all over the internet. I mean, they had a map of the WORLD! to show how widespread er, well, the internet is. You wouldn’t believe it, I tell you – Mexico, Japan, everywhere has it! And anyway, she was slightly put out that someone had been Catfished by a fake profile using her boobies as bait. I… sorry, I lost interest and went to bed at this point.

donald
    Free Member

Are you a bit bored Al?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Reminds me of this BBC thing I started watching “When nudes are stolen” or something. This (muffled laughter) influencer and model had a whole programme to herself to complain/investigate/publicise that she’d “had to” take nude selfies for her modelling career and these selfies were “stolen” and used as profiles by other people all over the internet. I mean, they had a map of the WORLD! to show how widespread er, well, the internet is. You wouldn’t believe it, I tell you – Mexico, Japan, everywhere has it! And anyway, she was slightly put out that someone had been Catfished by a fake profile using her boobies as bait. I… sorry, I lost interest and went to bed at this point.

I didn’t catch that programme, but I’m not surprised. When ‘The Fappening’ happening in 2014 the initial reaction from ‘the industry’ was to deny, and who can blame them, it was a horrible intrusion of privacy and most of the victims, were indeed victims, but not all.

It didn’t take long to work out that for some of the less talented famous people involved it was a great career boost, within weeks there was more ‘leaks’ that were anything but, and of course Kim Kardashian responded with a lavish set of heavily ‘optimised’ naked pictures of her own which supposed “broke the internet” (ISPs somehow managed to not break).

5 years later the whole thing has evolved again to the point when B listers are flocking to Only Fans to effectively sell mucky pictures for lots of money.

stevie750

I have that slayer T-shirt, am I now trendy?

ThePinkster

5 years later the whole thing has evolved again to the point when B listers are flocking to Only Fans to effectively sell mucky pictures for lots of money.

I think you’re doing most B-listers a disservice there. These people are way below the B list

MSP

I saw a headline the other day that 1 of them is now a billionaire, HTF did that happen. I hate in the politics threads when someone arrogantly accuses 90% of the population of being stupid, but sometimes the facts do make it look that way.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have that slayer T-shirt, am I now trendy?

We need an unretouched photo to tell.

stevie750

We need an unretouched photo to tell.

Nah, you don’t

franksinatra

I saw a headline the other day that 1 of them is now a billionaire,

I think she has a successful make up or clothing business. If that is right then at least she has an actual product and is selling it. Hopefully this means she employs people, pays tax etc so not all bad.

Her idea of perfect looking is not the same as mine though.

MSP

I think she has a successful make up or clothing business. If that is right then at least she has an actual product and is selling it. Hopefully this means she employs people, pays tax etc so not all bad.

That reminds me, wasn’t there something about her products being made in Chinese sweat shops a year or 2 ago? or maybe that was the Trump talentless fame seeking daughter with a pseudo fashion/make up brand. Hard to tell them apart, they are cut from the same mould, could be both of them of course.

thols2

Kardashian

mikeyp

It’s like a ship complaining about the sea.

bruneep
    dyna-ti

Nowt to do with anyone not interested.

What do I know about the Kardashians ? – Nothing
    Do I watch or follow any of their stuff – No
    How important is any of it to me ? – Not important at all.
    Is Piers Morgan in need of a punch on the nose – Absolutely.

Kryton57

This family has used various techniques including self promotion to make themselves very wealthy. You may like or not like them but if wealth is their measure of success they’ve done very well for themselves.

Self publicity is part of that process for them. Personally I think falsifying an image of yourself which rightly or wrongly then plays with the minds of many susceptible adolescents who as a result may suffer mental issues is not a good thing, but thats just my opinion.

They are – she is – a bi product of the current social media & self appreciative selfless society we currently live in. Hate the player….

cynic-al
    Free Member

@donald yeah, and hungover, I just wanted a sense check on my view.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I saw a headline the other day that 1 of them is now a billionaire,

They’re not.

Although two, Kim and Kylie have both claimed to be.

They’re very wealthy, but they’re not billionaires, I doubt the whole Kardashian clan could collectively pull together a billion in cash and assets if their lives depended on it, but they won’t be found down the Job Centre Plus any time soon and they’re **checks his banking app** doing better than me ha ha.

funkmasterp

which is clear when you consider how they first become famous, it’s wasn’t as the socialite daughters of two famous fathers

Wasn’t it the OJ Simpson trial? That is the extent of my knowledge of them other than one is married to the annoying hip-hop hamster man

franksinatra

They’re not.

Although two, Kim and Kylie have both claimed to be.

Forbes magazine rich list disagrees with you

I’m almost arguing online about a Kardashian. How did my life reach this low?

dc1988

They’re their own problem, she already heavily edits photos (sometimes to the lengths that she’s unrecognisable). People are just annoyed by the fraud, the stupid thing is she looks good for a 36 year old who’s had a child.

Dickyboy

Celebrities are just weird, I went to ones house yesterday – they were famous between 10 & 20yrs ago but I still had to sign a non disclosure agreement – which lead me to Google who’s house it was, otherwise I wouldn’t have cared or known 😄

DezB
    Free Member

They’re their own problem

Ah, that’s a slightly more succinct way to express what i was saying earlier. 😀

CountZero

when’s Kanye’s new album out.

Well, depends on how their finances are split, seeing as they’re separated and divorcing.

@dyna-ti
    – can I just say, nutshell.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Erm, so this isn’t a thread about the baddies in Star Trek?

darthpunk
    Free Member

Kardashians in a nutshell

mos

‘reminds me of that BBC thing’. Me too, although maybe different meaning.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Forbes magazine rich list disagrees with you

I’m almost arguing online about a Kardashian. How did my life reach this low?

Forbes have booted Kylie off their 2021 rich list for “exaggerated claims about their net worth” but even so, The Forbes Rich List and indeed the Sunday Times Rich List are pretty sensationalist things, as above, their figures come from a exaggerated estimation of every penny ever earned, plus every penny they might earn, every asset they have possession of and assuming zero spending and zero debt.

For example, Forbes valued 50 Cent at $155m in 2015, later that year he lost a $5m court case. If Forbes were right he should have been able to peel that off the top and chalk it up to a bad day, but it ended up bankrupting him, when it was discovered he had debts of $32m against assets of $16m.

I think the truth is that, people like big numbers and Americans especially worship wealth, it’s good business for certain celebrities to tell everyone how wealthy they are, and it’s good business for Forbes to help them. Celebrities who can increase their profile via being richer than the next one will compete to be the richest, but it’s a lot easier to use spin and PR to appear to be richer than to actually be so.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘This Kardashian thing’ is closed to new replies.