Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • This is satirical comedy, right?
  • cybicle
    Free Member

No cybicle, I prefer to walk around with my eyes shut, ignore any economic data releases, never read a paper or listen to the radio. It’s a lovely dreamland isn’t it?

So you’ll be aware that child poverty in increasing in the UK then:

In the short run, relative child poverty is forecast to remain broadly constant between 2009—10
    and 2012—13, before rising slightly in 2013—14. Relative working-age adult poverty is forecast
    to rise slightly between 2009—10 and 2012—13, before rising faster in 2013—14. Absolute child
    and working-age adult poverty are forecast to rise continuously, and by more than relative
    poverty, over this period. This unusual pattern arises because the living standards of low-income
    families are set to fall over the period — which will increase absolute poverty — but they are
    forecast to fall by less than the living standards of families at median income, and so relative
    poverty is forecast to have fallen in 2010—11. Indeed, at its low point, real median household
    income is forecast to be 7% lower in 2012—13 than it was in 2009—10, and to remain below its
    2009—10 level until at least 2015—16. This unprecedented collapse in living standards is chiefly
    due to the (actual or forecast) high inflation and weak earnings growth over this period. As
    families in poverty get much of their income from state benefits and tax credits, which are
    typically increased in line with inflation, a fall in real earnings closes the gap between them and
    families around median income, who get much of their income from earnings.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/comms/comm121.pdf

Children’s campaigners say the true figure is higher and that 300,000 more children live in poor homes than in the previous year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22887005

And that tuberculosis, the ‘disease of poverty’, is on the increase in the UK:

The report’s author, Professor Alimuddin Zumla of University College London, attributes the rise to people living under “Victorian” conditions, with poor housing, inadequate ventilation and overcrowding in certain deprived areas of London.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/12December/Pages/tb-tuberculosis-cases-rise-london-uk.aspx

More a nightmare, than a dreamland, I’d say.

binners

Just as an example of how much more equal our society has become, if the minimum wage had kept pace with average rises in boardroom pay since its introduction in 1997, it would now stand at £20 an hour. Its £6.31

cybicle
    Free Member

But Binners; have you read any economic data releases? Because if you had, you’d surely know that there’s a good reason for that discrepancy. And be able to defend the growing inequality. 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes aware thanks but appreciate the update. May I re-quote from your quote as well:

As families in poverty get much of their income from state benefits and tax credits, which are
    typically increased in line with inflation, a fall in real earnings closes the gap between them and
    families around median income, who get much of their income from earnings.

Now if I had posted that (cough) I am sure you would have objected!!!

Leaving the silliness aside, can you point me in the direction of anyone defending inequality? Or was that an attempt at satire?

cybicle
    Free Member

I included all the ‘data’ rather than using it selectively to make a point (which you’ve actually failed to make there). The fact still stands that the gap is widening, not falling as you seem to believe.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok, well there’s a well paid job waiting at the non-independent (apparently) ONS because clearly they don’t know what they are talking about.

The only downside is that you may have to be a fully paid up member of the Tory party to apply!

The data was interesting as was the bit I highlighted.

binners

I’m sure the people on £6.31 an hour will be thanking the lord they have Dave fighting their corner. He’s almost evangelical in his quest for a fairer society. Bless him.

MSP

As families in poverty get much of their income from state benefits and tax credits, which are typically increased in line with inflation, a fall in real earnings closes the gap between them and families around median income, who get much of their income from earnings.

Are you really trying to argue that a fall in median earnings is a sign of social mobility? I would say it proves that the majority are getting screwed by the minority.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, just responding to idea, “punishing the poor for being poor and rewarding the rich for being rich.”

Social mobility is a different point – but share others’ views on the role of grammar schools though. Not that it did Major much good as I understand that he only got three O levels. No wonder he was unable to achieve anything in his life!

MSP

No, just responding to idea, “punishing the poor for being poor and rewarding the rich for being rich.”

Well showing that median earnings have lowered doesn’t respond to that point.

Which view do you share?

That selection at a young age is good for social mobility.

or

That grammar schools lock a person into (or more frequently out of) a life based on an exam taken at the age of 11.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There’s a “boom” JY? Where?

Patience young padawan

That bit was missing in my dreams…

I thought you said you were reality based

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Correct, it doesn’t.

It’s all in phrasing the question isn’t it!? I will duck your (loaded !!) questions and merely say that satisfying different educational needs require tailored/diffeent rather than comprehensive solutions. How we achieve that is a whole new can of worms.

Edit for X-post: I thought so too JY but have been informed otherwise!!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Actually in our free-market (sic) we do have a mini boom in certain asset prices created by, heaven (Opps again) forbid, the state which is deliberate mis-pricing risk in financial markets. This will ultimately lead to a bust in those assets.

Governments eh, bloody boom and bust, the inevitable result of their intererence!!!! 😉

(Edit: we’ll strictly speaking not exactly the state)

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘This is satirical comedy, right?’ is closed to new replies.