Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • This is quite a press release…
  • grum
    Free Member

Yes they’re trying slightly too hard to be cool and edgy but still pretty amusing.

BrewDog has issued a ‘formal apology’ to The Portman Group after the independent complaints panel found that the craft brewer had encouraged anti-social behaviour and binge drinking with its Dead Pony Club ale advertising – in breach of the alcohol marketing code.

Expressing ‘indifference and nonchalance’ at the ruling BrewDog went on to attack double standards in the industry which protect ‘gigantic faceless brands’ and stymie ‘creativity and competition’.

In a combative statement James Watt, co-founder of BrewDog, said: “On behalf of BrewDog PLC and its 14,691 individual shareholders, I would like to issue a formal apology to the Portman Group for not giving a shit about today’s ruling. Indeed, we are sorry for never giving a shit about anything the Portman Group has to say, and treating all of its statements with callous indifference and nonchalance.”

“Unfortunately, the Portman Group is a gloomy gaggle of killjoy jobsworths, funded by navel-gazing international drinks giants. Their raison d’être is to provide a diversion for the true evils of this industry, perpetrated by the gigantic faceless brands that pay their wages. Blinkered by this soulless mission, they treat beer drinkers like brain dead zombies and vilify creativity and competition. Therefore, we have never given a second thought to any of the grubby newspeak they disseminate periodically.”

“While the Portman Group lives out its days deliberating whether a joke on a bottle of beer is responsible or irresponsible use of humour, at BrewDog we will just get on with brewing awesome beer and treating our customers like adults. I’m sure that makes Henry Ashworth cry a salty tear into his shatterproof tankard of Directors as he tries to enforce his futile and toothless little marketing code, but we couldn’t give a shit about that, either.”

“We sincerely hope that the sarcasm of this message fits the Portman Group criteria of responsible use of humour.”

http://m.thedrum.com/news/2014/04/29/brewdog-apologises-portman-group-not-giving-shit-over-marketing-rules-breach

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They do have form with the big boys in the industry 🙂

Kenny Mitchell, Chairman of the BII stated:
    ‘We are all ashamed and embarrassed about what happened. The awards have to be an independent process and BrewDog were the clear winner’
    ‘Diageo (the main sponsor) approached us at the start of the meal and said under no circumstances could the award be given to BrewDog. They said if this happened they would pull their sponsorship from all future BII events’
    We were as gobsmacked as you by Diageo’s behaviour. We made the wrong decision under extreme pressure. We should have stuck to our guns and gave the award to BrewDog.‘

brakes
    Free Member

I’d like to buy that man a pint!
    Of decent beer instead of BrewDog.
    Chortle.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pondo

Who are these Portman Group facists? they’re the same people who made Jody Scheckter stop selling beer

Linky

They really need to f*** off up their own backsides – I shall be supporting Brewdog whether their stuff’s any good or not.

warton
    Free Member

I do like a punk IPA. Their Pilsner is tasty too

kcal

BrewDog – “always drink responsibly”

P.S. Brewed in Fraserburgh. oh the irony.

martinhutch

I’d be more impressed if this kind of ‘underdog with two fingers up’ approach wasn’t part and parcel of the BrewDog marketing strategy.

This sums it up nicely:

http://www.bitterwallet.com/brewdog-are-sorrynotsorry-about-portman-group-ruling/74601

Don’t much like their beer, either.

peterfile
    Free Member

I want to dislike Brewdog at times (they are masters of branding, not champions of the people), but I can’t help but like many of their beers (which is good for what is effectively a big commercial brewery who sells pretty much everywhere), so given that their product backs up their constant hype, I can’t see the problem 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

inspirational stuff! 🙂

mt
    Free Member

Most excellent.

Garry_Lager

Proof of the pudding is in the supping, or something, and brewdog’s ale is top class IMHO.
    Shame about the execrable marketing, but at the end of the day that’s what it takes – brewing good ale is not hard (as all stw brewer’s know 😉 ), so it’s going to take more than that to get a brewery business off the ground.

hora
    Free Member

I drink Marstons

chestrockwell

They should concentrate on improving their beer imo. I had some once and thought it tasted of Diesel. I ended up there again the other week, under protest and the beer was still tripe.

sbob
    Free Member

I’m sorry but there is no way in hell I’m giving up Guinness in support of the underdogs.
    I just couldn’t do it.

funkrodent

Thwaites Wainwright. Lowestoft Gold. Black Sheep. Always found Brewdog’s stuff too hoppy for my liking.
    And whilst they may like to work on the premise that they’re the bar of the people, there’s a lot of people effectively barred from their premises due to their somewhat eye watering pricing strategy..
    Good luck to them though, anyone prepared to take on the man is alright by me 😉

EDIT –

chestrockwell – Member
    They should concentrate on improving their beer imo. I had some once and thought it tasted of Diesel. I ended up there again the other week, under protest and the beer was still tripe.

That’s kind of what I was saying regarding taste, just with added cojones!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

they’re the same people who made Jody Scheckter stop selling beer

He’s growing hops at the moment, so watch this space, I reckon….! 😀

martinhutch

It is good to see them sticking it to the man by selling their product in Tesco, though.

nbt

BrewDog, the On-One of the beer world.

timraven

I drink Marstons

Bad luck, hope you find some decent beer soon. 😈

botanybay
    Free Member

Brewdog think they invented beer by the way they carry on.

In reality their beer is mostly shite, apart from punk ipa in bottles, which is just ok.

CountZero

On the very few occasions I’ve drunk a Brewdog beer, I’ve really enjoyed it. But that’s been in the Tate Modern restaurant, as I’ve never, ever seen it for sale in a pub, and rarely recall seeing it in a supermarket.
    Which seems strange, if they’re supposed to be a big, commercial concern whose product is allegedly sold everywhere.
    Everywhere North of The Wash, I guess.
    Doom Bar, by contrast, is truly ubiquitous.

peterfile
    Free Member

and rarely recall seeing it in a supermarket. Which seems strange, if they’re supposed to be a big, commercial concern whose product is allegedly sold everywhere.

You not got a Sainsburys, Tesco, Waitrose, Morrisons or ASDA near you then? 😆

Brewdog Distributors

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Modern restaurant, as I’ve never, ever seen it for sale in a pub, and rarely recall seeing it in a supermarket.

Odd, they’re in all the supermakets up here, not just Punk IPA either.

For all the BrewDog haters at least they’re not BrewMeister.

Tarring UK Craft Beer with a Cynical Brush

The Shame of British Brewing

kcal

Brewmeister – ah yes, from that other home of responsible drinking, Keith 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

at least they’re not BrewMeister.

Wow! Quite a read, that.

Still, I suppose that with every trend, someone will rush to make a few bob out of it, and not always with the most honest intentions. I’ll happily make a mental note never to buy anything from Brewmeister.

FWIW, I don’t really rate any Scotchish beers, BrewDog included. My only exception would be Ceasar Augustus, which is lush!

peterfile
    Free Member

Even the award winning Fyne Ales flashy? 😯

bainbrge

Or indeed anything from Black Isle brewery.

Junkyard
    Free Member

BrewDog, the On-One of the beer world

The labels peel of the bottle and they never answer your calls 😉

Its one of those it is quite amusing but it is also just marketing
    I dont drink beer but if i did i would base it on taste not image

mefty
    Free Member

Still, I suppose that with every trend, someone will rush to make a few bob out of it, and not always with the most honest intentions. I’ll happily make a mental note never to buy anything from Brewmeister.

What a load of sanctimonious old tosh in the links, it is a business not a sodding religion, these guys take themselves too seriously. Personally, I think the whole craft brewing thing is just a triumph of marketing over substance and they represent a solution to a non existent problem. Brewdog are effective marketeers and should be commended as such, but I will be sticking the great traditional brewers of this country.

matt_outandabout

My local breweries turn out some of the best beer I have ever had the pleasure of supping. I dislike it when I cannot drink some small, local breweries wares when I travel.

Northwind

grum
    Free Member

Even the award winning Fyne Ales flashy?

Loch Fyne ales are great. I still generally find a lot of Scottish country pubs have a crap selection of beers though.

I quite like some of BrewDog’s beers but they’re ridiculously expensive usually.

Drac

I drink Marstons

Bad luck, hope you find some decent beer soon.

Could be worse.

I’m sorry but there is no way in hell I’m giving up Guinness in support of the underdogs.

jfletch
    Free Member

Doom Bar, by contrast, is truly ubiquitousj

Doom Bar, authentic Cornish brewery (brought to you by Molson Coors, brewers of fine beer such as Carling, Cobra and Worthington)

If you get it in a bottle it’s not even brewed in Cornwall, that stuff comes from Burton.

br
    Free Member

Loch Fyne ales are great. I still generally find a lot of Scottish country pubs have a crap selection of beers though.

If you are in the Tweed Valley try here:

Home

The Bear Ale is very good, especially after a night ride on Inners off-piste stuff.

juanking

Alloa William Bros Brewery have some stonkers. In fact just came back from 6 degrees North which has its brewery in Stonehaven and sampled a few fine Scottish brews!
    http://www.sixdnorth.co.uk

In fact walked straight past the Brewdog pub to get there

NZCol

Like others have said the Brewdog beers aren’t particularly subtle but at least they are opening up new avenues of taste, despite some being utter hop bombs.
    I hold a candle to the Red Kite Ale from Black Isle, fantastic body with a superb hop balance. A very well made beer.
    In other news Aotearoa Ales will be opening for business in Edinburgh in July, i’ll run my first brew then and spend a few months getting the new kit all up to speed before we start selling. Will keep you posted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having tried a lot of their range there is more I like than I don’t, it’s not bland and it’s not all traditional but that’s OK.

For a massive commercial brewery as somebody called them they have started from very little and still make their beer in their own place under their control. Not many companies still do that.

The price reflects that it’s not mass produced, mass distributed etc.

sbob
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Could be worse.

It’s what I like.
    Don’t hang me for it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sad as it it is, I have to agree with flashy, most of the pubs up here are content to sell the same old pish – tennents Stella guiness fosters…

There are some bright lights though, the Williams brothers beers are really good, and Arran brewery is opening a bar on hope street in Glasgow, looking forward to that!.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘This is quite a press release…’ is closed to new replies.