• This topic has 165 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)
  • This is England 90
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

from that Paul Mason article

Nobody looks at their mobile phone because – as thousands of parents will have had to explain – there weren’t any. Nobody goes on the internet because it didn’t exist. Nobody flicks through movies and games on TV because, back then, the box beneath a TV was for playing tapes.

the video games industry was MASSIVE in the 80’s and 90’s

Rubber_Buccaneer

Enjoyed it but agree that

‘sniffbanging’…that was more like a comedy sketch show than reality

DezB
    Free Member

the video games industry was MASSIVE in the 80’s and 90’s

You missed the previous paragraph from your quote –

In TIE90.. Nobody flicks through movies and games on TV

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just watched ep1, quite enjoyed it, despite various 80s outfits & other stuff that didn’t fit.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Watching tonights episode and its utter shit unwatchable tv

won’t be watching the rest of the series

IdleJon

despite various 80s outfits &

Thing is, it was 1990, people were still wearing 80s stuff well into the decade.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That was quite powerful. Brilliant.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Yep brilliant episode 2.

soobalias
    Free Member

despite quitting episode 1 early, decided to give it another chance. glad i did, much better.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

despite various 80s outfits &

LOL – so bang on midnight 1989, all 80’s clothes disappeared and suddenly everyone on the stroke of 1990 started wearing lairy/baggy clothes 😆

I still personally remember wearing some 80’s clothes in the 90’s and certainly my parents did too (probably for the next decade actually! 🙁 )

marcus7
    Free Member

I have a hoodie from 1995 i still wear!!! (much to my wife and kids embarrassment)… 8) ( steel city surfers is anyone is interested )

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, the Feet household is finding it very dull and slow. Seems very self indulgent at the expense of the viewer.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That 1st episode was barking. Very different mood to the film/’86/’88 but I guess the intent is to capture the zeitgeist.

I’ll be watching the rest of series for sure.

The two Alan Partridge eqsue metallers, erm, WT actual F?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the two guys, clearly 80’s clinger on’ers (thinking the 80’s fashion is still in and getting left behind) quite funny though I quite like them, they definitely add a bit of something different to the show

they were either in the first or second series dressed in Sergio tacchini shell suits decking shaun at every possible opportunity, and think they had a group fight with them all….

now they’ve grown up and seem to want to hang out a bit with them, something different, think they work quite well on the show

cynic-al
    Free Member

The two Alan Partridge eqsue metallers, erm, WT actual F?

Exactly – ridiculous, daft characters there for humour (which ain’t working)

No one dress like that in the 90s where I was, that look died out late 80s.

ninfan
    Free Member

’90 was great for fashion – a mix of everyone and everything getting along together

of course Global Hypercolour hadn’t yet happened either 😀

(Bring back global hypercolour!)

brassneck

They did if you lived outside any metropolitan area. Took a while to filter through did the 90s to Wiltshire.
    I used to take so much sh*t for paisley shirts, flares and sun hats. Probably deservedly 🙂

sc-xc

They did. All the clubs I went to in 90/91 you would see the groups:

Ravers – the dungaree wearing day glo lot
    Baggy/Madchester – flares, hoodies, reni hats
    Goths – well, black.
    Crusties – I was one of these…dreds, patchwork jeans, big baggy jumpers
    Indie Kids – Docs, jeans with turn ups, band t shorts or grandad shirts
    Skate kids – knee length shorts, vision tops
    Rockers – like your lads from TIE90. Crap leathers and lots of snow wash

You’d see them all. We’d all get on, and we’d all dance and drink together, but each lot had their own identity.

This was Midlands, so clubs like JBs, Hummingbird, Edwards, Raglan etc

mudshark
    Free Member

I was a rocker/student back in those days and I was either wearing a snow wash jacket or nasty leather one, my mate was similar and we had plenty of mates down the clubs on rock nights. I was evolving though, got into RHCP and FNM.

rascal
    Free Member

Just watched it.
    The map/car scenario and BBQ dancing were tideously rambllng.
    Those two tache blokes are arseholes – was anyone like that in 1990? Maybe.
    I wore sawn-off Metallica T’s with skintight jeans and basketball boots and looked a right twunt – never had a moustache though – there’s no excuse for a tache (except Movember).

Some of it was quite good – some very dark/powerful stuff an some quite touching stuff.
    The fan will be well be truly shat on with Combo’s seemingly imminent return though – boom! 😯

iain1775
    Free Member

Was there any ‘Alan Dick’ slimline mobile phone towers with Vodafone panel antennas in 1990?

Pook

No, and they hadn’t resurfaced the roads out west of Sheffield ahead of the Tour De France as you could see in the show, but you allow a bit of that kind of thing don’t you.

I’d have been the not quite cool enough to find the rave person too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Was there any ‘Alan Dick’ slimline mobile phone towers with Vodafone panel antennas in 1990?

Nope, starting to runs TACS, so 12 grid reflectors iirc..

TheSanityAssassin

rascal – Member

Those two tache blokes are arseholes – was anyone like that in 1990? Maybe…

Retford was full of them. Usually wearing those two-button leather jackets with thin lapels and a slim leather tie. The land that time forgot. There was always friction when we went to see a band at the Porterhouse.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Retford used to be a good night out. The slaughterhouse. Sorry porterhouse, gave you the blues.

IdleJon

The map/car scenario and BBQ dancing were tideously rambllng

It wasn’t the best, but it made a rather funny (and very obvious) point – the group looking for the ‘loved-up’ good time rave were having a terrible time whereas the group who couldn’t make it to the rave had a great time without the need for E.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

not quite how i remember raves from the 90’s?????

brassneck

not quite how i remember raves from the 90’s?????

You can remember them?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

mostly 😈

soobalias
    Free Member

90 or 90’s

the move from travellers parties to ibiza mega clubs only took a handful of years.

unovolo
    Free Member

There are still people dressed like that if you look hard enough, were I live there is a middle aged couple who go shopping dressed as a pair of 50’s rockabilly’s so even more outofdate.

FWIW I’m enjoying it and like the acting ,more natural and less overacted like most modern soaps and films.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Hugely funny can’t-find-the-party bit. The traveler bash was nicely done all round and seemed to both resolve and set up more stuff quite nicely.

+Combo for more worse-ness next week.

FWIW I’m enjoying it and like the acting ,more natural and less overacted like most modern soaps and films

definitely that. shaun + woody both particularly good at this.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Wow! Next week should be quite good if tonight’s was anything to go by.

rascal
    Free Member

Some very powerful writing and acting tonight.
    Next week’s should see some fireworks.

Pook

Milky’s revenge?

It’d be a shame to see Milky go bad. I’d like to think of all the TIE characters he’d be the one to control himself and take the higher ground.

Lots of good, cheeky riding in the valley under the ‘Autumn’ titles by the way.

mudshark
    Free Member

Revenge is understandable really

[video]https://youtu.be/5_4g0K30ieo[/video]

binners

Well that made for nice, easy viewing. 😯

The acting is absolutely incredible. The scene round the table when Lol was telling everyone the truth was like being assaulted!

You kind of knew from the first 2 episodes that this was in the post. He’s brilliantly ratcheted the tension up steadily

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes, the around the table scene had the Mrs crying and me wound up like a spring. Great stuff, really great.

For me, I just love Woody. Such a great character and so brilliantly acted. I have a full blown man-crush on him.

Concur with the potential Milky revenge plot – it seems too out of character to think he’d have someone/anyone topped.
    I’m fascinated to see if Combo will remain a changed man though..or if not, what turn’s him back to the dark side..

rascal
    Free Member

Combo’s a ticking timebomb…he might have found God but he could lose him just as easily.
    That clip up there ^^ shows how much the characters have changed. Combo looks like that a-hole Mike Brown on Saturday night – minus the handbag 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Combo is going to go apeshit. Apparently it’s the last one ever next week, feature length too.
    Does anyone think Shane Meadows is going to give us a happy ending?
    It’ll be fantastic and horrifying in equal measure.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘This is England 90’ is closed to new replies.