Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • this is a serious question,but you can take the ipss if you want
  • mikey3
    Free Member

I’m just thinking about my life really,when does someone realise they might have mental problems(I hate that saying but I don’t know how else to put it),basically I have **** everything up and I cant see a way forward except jumping off a bridge but I see that as a sad way out ,were do I go from there?? life has kinda beaten me,i though I was a good person but I guess no,for **** sake i’,m typing this on a mtn bike site,wish this was the joke it reads like

mikey3
    Free Member

sorry please ignore this,guess ihave been abducted by aliens or something,how do I delete this?

loddrik
    Free Member

You’d be surprised how many people have ‘mental health issues’. I’d start with seeing your GP, get them to put you forward for a couple of sessions of counselling. It may help it may not. But it’ll put you in the system and lead to additional help from there. They may prescribe citalopram or similar which may help.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

To be honest, it beats another ‘what tyre for x’ type question.

…as per loddrik, this is not a unique situation. This is not meant to belittle what you are going through, more to state that there are people and organisations out there that can help. Sometimes just unloading can help. If not to someone you know, then a stranger….shit, even a web forum.

mikey3
    Free Member

to be honest I did want to know what are the best tyres,i just bung on maxis minions and just change them when they wear out:)

Jamie
    Free Member

I was the same when I had an MTB. Wang on a set of High Rollers, fall apart, then replace.

Sometimes there is just too much choice.

…saying that, I am a steaming hypocrite as I did start a what tyre thread recently.

Now that is a reason to self hate…

mikey3
    Free Member

it is ,rubber hate is a definite problem in socety

mikewsmith
    Free Member

talking is the best thing to do, sometimes there is some great advice on here just ignore the idiots. Sometimes it just takes a stranger to talk to.

Jamie
    Free Member

it is ,rubber hate is a definite problem in socety

Indeed. Less rubber hating, and more maste…erm…maybe not.

sweepy
    Free Member

Well theres your problem right there 🙂

seriously tho, there is a way through this, just the fact you are on a computer means you have come up trumps in the global lottery so its not all bad.

If things seem that bad then samaritans to get you through the short term, and see your GP ASAP.

mikey3
    Free Member

I just feel such a knob I cant help going along with the idiots and hope I wake up feeling better,but I guess the macho embarrisment can only take me so far and then I I am back to square one.

Jamie
    Free Member

Has Sir been drinking? If so, it really is an emotional gun to the head sometimes. Things will be clearer in the morning.

Apologies if you are sober as a judge.

mikey3
    Free Member

not drunk but not sober,somewhere inbetween(and listening to the doors first album atm:),tbh I have felt like this for so long that I feel its kinda normal and that’s not right,i don’t want to go through my hole life feeling this way

Jamie
    Free Member

It sounds trite, but recognising things are a bit awry is the first sign of being able to do something about it. See if you can book an appointment with your GP tomorrow, which is usually a feat in endurance in itself, but it’s a start.

ask1974
    Free Member

As Jamie’s first post, talk has got to be the best place to start but if you really think you’ve a problem you need to seek proffesional help. Someone I know very well has pretty serious issues and having seen what he’s gone through I won’t start making suggestions, it’s well over my grade of education…

All I would say is start simple, look forward to the small things in life and focus on enjoying them, if you’ve been a dick to someone you know well apologise and try and mend bridges. You’d be surprised at peoples capacity for compassion when things are laid bare, deep down we’re all pretty decent I think but then I’m a glass half full kind of guy. When a house falls down it’s rebuilt brick by brick.

Bloody hell is that the time…

mikey3
    Free Member

I could never sit infront of someone and say how I really feel,thats the whole problem,i have struggled on my own for years because I am ashamed,oh well guess I’ll wake up and go on,and riding my bike always helps,but never enough.

Jamie
    Free Member

*tough love incoming*

You need to move past that bullshit. I’m sure once you get started it will all tumble out. Never underestimate the compassion of others…..yes most people are dicks, but even the most dickish of dicks still have a pilot light of empathy flickering away and are willing to help, and listen to, there fellow man.

…as for GPs and those in the mental health arena, they will be used to allowing you to move at your own pace and feel comfortable to let rip.

ask1974
    Free Member

That’s what professionals are for. At least see your GP and take the first step, you might be surprised at how things pan out once you set off in the right direction. It’s easy to do nothing so that’s always a good indicator it’s not the right course of action, it’s one of life’s simple rules that the right choice is often the hard one.

mikey3
    Free Member

thank you Jamie,and thanks for not putting up a pic to make me feel like a ****(joke!!! you have actually helped,cheers)

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm. You’re right. This thread does need at least one pic.

ask1974
    Free Member

…as for GPs and those in the mental health arena, they will be used to allowing you to move at your own pace and feel comfortable to let rip.

Spot on. However shit, ashamed, lonely you feel you can be sure you’re not the first and whilst the rest of us have limited experience there are people out there who actually know what they’re talking about and listen very well…

mikey3
    Free Member

that is actually a fantastic pic,but I guess that was the point,but still that’s a beautiful pic,picures have a certain power I think:)

Jamie
    Free Member

Indeed they do. Right, go bed and make the calls tomorrow…erm…later today, rather.

I’m oot.

Zzzzzz.

piemonster

just ignore the idiots.

He means me…. 😳

I just feel such a knob

I am living proof that this should not be a hinderance to well being.

I could never sit infront of someone and say how I really feel

You can and you should. It does IME help.

Jamiesphoto FTW

scaredypants

Morning, Mikey3 – I have no expertise to offer

… so lets get started right away !

is it something you do that you don’t like (drink/drugs/gambling/debt/your job/…), or something you don’t do that you wish you did/could/feel you should ?
    Course, could be several of the above
    A talk with someone (and your GP counts !) might help you to clarify for yourself – maybe even chatting on here

just ignore the idiots

oh, yeah.
    😳

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I take the piss out of most things, but not this.
    Your not the first to feel like this, and you’ll definitely not be the last.

aracer
    Free Member

<checks to make sure the OP isn’t my alternative login>

If it helps at all you’re not alone, lots of us feel like that or have felt like that. It also get’s better – though I’m sure you’ll find that very hard to believe right now.

Muke
    Free Member

I know exactly where you are coming from, its a roller coaster with huge highs and lows. Talking to someone will help but it’s sometimes easier said than done and not something I have done tbh. I just now recognize the signs of starting a low and stubbornly tough it out till things get better. For me reading Graeme Obrees The Flying Scotsman helped me understand things a bit better. Check out the depression thread and you will see that you are not alone. Good luck

PS Check out that video from kimbers for an instant burst of happiness 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Talk to a pro. I felt like you, I also felt that I couldn’t talk to anyone about some of the stuff in my life. It took a while and I am still at it. It just helped me understand why I may be feeling the way I did. I still get very very low but it’s much easier to deal with now. Seems to have helped in other unexpected areas too, my riding has certainly improved this year 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

What tyres for jumping off a bridge? Probably whatever Danny McAskill runs 🙂

Worth going to the GP if you feel like that as they are the gateway to other services, though some are pretty useless when it comes to mental health issues and will probably try and fob you off with a few pills. There’s lots of other alternatives out there as have been mentioned, counselling, talking therapies (e.g. CBT), and if you think these may be more useful for you then it’s worth pushing for them. If you can then do some research (or read old threads on here) before going to see your GP so you have a good idea of what services are available.

midlifecrashes

Even the most outwardly successful person gets to where they are through a combination of luck, choices, skills and avoiding being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but everybody finds themselves in dead ends along the way, whether in a relationship, a phone contract, where to live, career, family breakdown, illness of yourself or someone close. I’ve no idea what’s up with you, but spotting you’re in the hole and telling someone is a very good first step, and you’ve just done that. To get to a better situation might take something as simple as taking a more positive outlook and sucking up some of the more manageable crap, but it might mean taking a hit on stuff you’ve invested yourself in for years and walking away to start something new. Take advice, listen to it, make some decisions and work your way through it. Now, what am I to do, a shed full of 26″ bikes and not a single 650b, the world has left me behind. The trails just won’t come alive!

clubber
    Free Member
    iolo
    Free Member

I have many issues in my head. I know exactly where your coming from. I’m bipolar and have tried to kill myself quite a few times.
    The first step is get help. Your GP is a waste of time. Go to A&E and tell them about the bridge.
    That will save you about 6 months on shitty pills that’s dont work.
    You will be given a mental health nurse, social worker and most important a psychiatrist.
    I’m not fixed but can now at least have a semi normal life(most of the time).
    If you don’t bond with any of these ask for a different one.
    Good luck.
    Ps I suggest you stay off the booze as it only makes you worse

project
    Free Member

Like climbing a ladder, youve admitted you have a bit of a problem thats the first step on the lader,

second step, which youre at, is ask for help,

3 rd step acept any help offered,

4th step ,talk in confindence to strangers, either someone proffesional or us,

5th step, get out on the bike and ride.

Oh and youre not alone, a lot of people go through the same thing sometime intheir life,talking about it is a great healer and theraputic, and sometimes a good laugh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ps I suggest you stay off the booze as it only makes you worse

Wise words ^^^

Sometimes struggling with the shit that life throws at you can be a little overwhelming, but it doesn’t necessarily signify, quote : “mental problems”. It does however suggest that it’s time to look for a helping hand. Humans can’t function in isolation, every now and again we all need someone to give us a hand up.

Speak to someone, just doing that can help you to rationalise your thoughts. Thoughts which are invariably unrealistically negative if they have been kept bottled up and not shared.

If you don’t know where to start then depending on your circumstances phone 08457 90 90 90, go to your GP, or just contact a friend. Don’t leave it though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’ve got to talk to someone, actually posting on here is talking at one level, not as good as face to face but better than nowt. What I’d say about the photo its your reaction to it that’s important, it brings out something positive and that’s great.

Talk to a friend if you can and the your doctor and then a councellor. Not speaking about stuff resonates with me strongly but you do need to speak to move forward. I’m 50 and in the middle of a divorce, it’s quite easy to see the glass as much much less than half full, equally it’s possible to see lots of opportunity ahead. You are definitely not alone in how you’re feeling, realising that in itself is important.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘this is a serious question,but you can take the ipss if you want’ is closed to new replies.