Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • This here little spacer, Raceface crank, driveside and other BB creaky questions
  • weeksy

So, starting off my quick little story, i have multiple Raceface Cranksets. First one is a double that came on the T-130 as stock, that’s now running a cheap Ebay 38T ring as i use for Zwifting and need the extra teeth.

The other is a Raceface NW crank. That’s running a 34T and for outdoor duties.

Anyway, last weekend i noticed a creak on the Parkwood, but only just got round to investigating it. It’s a creaky pedally sort of noise, intermittent and only really when getting on the power

Today:

Wheel swapped for other spare, still same noise

Pedals swapped, still same noise.

QR greased

Bars and stem removed, greased, cleaned, re-fitted. Also steerer cleaned and greased at connections both top and bottom

calipers checked

Seatpost checked, cleaned wiped etc.

All still had the same noise. So i fitted the spare crankset, again, same noise. Phew..

So I went on for the BB. This is a Raceface XC BB and was replaced in Feb, since then it’s not had any outdoor use, only Zwift.

After that, my noise has now gone away. Lovely…. But here’s the questions. When fitting the new BB, Shimano M8000 i greased the spacer rings and the threads a bit on the BB. Is it likely that the threads were the noisy bit on the previous BB, when i spin them with fingers, they’re buttery smooth. Hence why i’m questioning it being the actual bearings.

And the other question, see pic below. There’s a little spacer that seems to be missing on this crankset, it’s not like this on either of my other 2 (same Raceface on the Whyte too), but looking at it, i’m thinking it’s just a dust seal really and not an actual functional item in a compression context ?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/279XDit]2018-05-14_05-10-55[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Looking on the Raceface ride PDF of the components it seems to be

3 (A-B) 2 1.0 MM SPINDLE SPACER SEAL / BLACK

Lastly…. where on earth can i get one ! ?

weeksy

Found it

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/Products/A20100_Race-Face-Spindle-Spacer-Rebui

Still the question on the threads/BB spacers though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘This here little spacer, Raceface crank, driveside and other BB creaky questions’ is closed to new replies.