Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • This free upgrade to Windows 7 thingy
  • hamishthecat
    Free Member

We bought our daughter an Acer laptop at the end of the summer school term (from Ebuyer.com). It has Vista Home Premium on it – I'm not very 'puter savvy and acknowledge that Vista isn't very good.
    There appears to be some sort of deal around offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 if ones computer was bought after 1st July (which ours was).
    Can anyone tell me how this works as I can't find anything on the Ebuyer site mentioning it.

Ta

clubber
    Free Member
    nuke

Strangely Tesco's has good info for most makes…

http://direct.tesco.com/p/inc/specials/windows7/

Think the 'free' bit is a myth though. We paid £27.50 iirc to get the upgrade for our Toshiba laptop

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Note that the "free" applies only to the software, not the delivery media, and most vendors choose overcharge you for this – £12.75 in this case. I don't think any are offering you the option to download instead and burn your own DVD, as that would be free 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, the "free" thing is a bit misleading but having got W7 on my new laptop, it definitely does work well and definitely worth the upgrade over vista.

Makore
    Free Member

I'm awaiting the W7 upgrade disc from Dell (it has been shipped) for my Sons desktop. Does anyone know if I would be able to also use it on my Toshiba laptop (running visa hp, but nothing to do with Dell) or will the Dell disc have some sort of security to prevent this?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I would be able to also use it on my Toshiba laptop

I think it'll work at least 3 months before demanding a valid serial number…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Much appreciated for all that – will give it a go.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I just ordered my 'FREE' upgrade, it's just cost me £21.99, what a bunch of crooks.

scraprider
    Free Member

same here £21.99, still a good price tho .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘This free upgrade to Windows 7 thingy’ is closed to new replies.