Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • This forum and mountain biking in fifteen years..?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

How do you think it will have changed by then? Will STW as we know it still exist? Will people still ride bikes offroad? Will we intetact via the quaint olde internet in startlingly different ways?

Let’s be having your futurology.

Jamie
    Free Member

yossarian
    Free Member

‘He’ will still be banned

bearnecessities

Quad suspension. Someone will have invented a flex-stem & suspension seatpost.

righog
    Free Member

For good or ill E bikes will be using a lot of words on the Forum.

Lots of

What Battery for Bike Park England ?

Threads

CountZero

Well, since I bought my first mountain bike in 1988, which is twenty-six years ago, apart from a few details, most things haven’t changed very much. If you put my original ’88 Stumpjumper next to a current hardtail most people wouldn’t notice any significant differences. It’s mostly stuff like front suspension, disc brakes, and modern formed aluminium and composite frames that show the biggest differences. Take a current Inbred, put it alongside most late eighties mountain bikes, and they’re fundamentally the same.
    In fifteen years, I wouldn’t expect much more to have changed either, although the latest Nicolai Argon, while it looks much the same as most bikes, does have tech that’s likely to change bikes in a really big way; its transmission. It has an eighteen-speed gearbox system built into the bottom bracket, distinct jumps of 11.8% per gear! and it runs a Gates carbon belt-drive.
    For me, it’s pretty much the perfect bike, almost zero maintenance.

mikey74
    Free Member

The STW forum in 15 years:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCKYEM8qRc[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just out of interest when did the forum start?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well, since I bought my first mountain bike in 1988, which is twenty-six years ago

Did it cost £6K? How did it work without the right size wheels? Did you know then that you were doing it wrong?

😉

Drac

Just out of interest when did the forum start?

13 Years ago.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did it cost £6K? How did it work without the right size wheels? Did you know then that you were doing it wrong?

What will be the same…

The suggestion that because you can buy a bike for 6k all bikes are over priced.
    Other people are wrong and certainly not having as much fun as the OP
    Bikes are too complicated
    There is not enough cutting edge tech on bikes
    People don’t ride their bikes enough

footflaps

My first MTB was a Ridgeback 601, which I think cost £230 in about ’86, which is £571 adjusted for inflation.

AdamW
    Free Member

In 15 years time wheels will be 50″ in diameter. People will be posting threads about how 48″ wheels are dead.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

YER JOKIN! THIRTEEN ACTUAL YEARS.

Blimey, I thought I was old hat after 3 years.

I have survived Tag Warfare, Ultra Flounce, Mega Ban and a dozen page thread on leading an African scammer to present us with a wild cat.

I hope I can be here in a decade like a hemp dressed wizard on a 24″ 3*10 fatty recumbant beach cruiser.

Edit: And for those who say the forum is shit and isn’t what it used to be? That’s a good thing.

The equation is much more balanced on the side of learning something rather than being called an idiot for not knowing.

Only 13 years, blimey – I must have been here for at least 11 of them – and I still missed the big Mleh flounce, albeit I did post there for a while

user-removed
    Free Member

International hike-a-bike is the future. Adventure without the buffer of OS maps. And HE ( no, the other he, will buy Gofar Enterprises and outlaw helmets ).

Seriously though, mapless adventures in the trackless wilderness is where it’s at. In parallel with ever more groomed piste runs with swoop, for those who like their adventures to be predictable and within 10 minutes ofa latte.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘This forum and mountain biking in fifteen years..?’ is closed to new replies.