Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • This evening on my way home in the car I was overtaken by….
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A Robin Reliant. & it wasn’t Del Boy or Rodders. (It was yellow though)

Reg no was H182 something, & it had trade plates on.

I was doing about 55mph in a 60.

Sorry.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Del Boy drove a Regal.

Just sayin’

hodgynd
    Free Member

Sorry ..is that you apologising or the state of the Reliant ?

The fact that you have come straight out and admitted to it should get you some sympathy ..

RoterStern
    Free Member

When I was a student in Birmingham used to work with a guy who collected the things. He had four or five of them. This was back in the 90s and he used to style his hair like in the 50´s and wear pullovers like the other David Jason character, Granville. He must have been near retirement age back then and still lived with his mother. He ofetn offered to give me a lift home when it was raining but I always refused for some reason.

CountZero

I’m sure it’s possible to stuff a motorcycle engine in a Reliant and get some sort of silly speed out of it, but making sure the damn thing doesn’t fall over and do the dying fly on the first reasonable bend is something else.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The only Top Gear episode that has made me laugh hard – was the one where they spent most of the show crashing a Robin Reliant.

Still gives me a smile…

perchypanther
    Free Member

I once named a Strava segment after a Reliant Robin called the Plastic Pig that we used to drive off-road on a fire road through the woods when we were teenagers.

True Story

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

TBF If I’d dared re-overtaken him I wouldv’e doffed my cap! He was flying down the road between Ferrensby & Minskip (North Yorks)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

TBF If I’d dared re-overtaken him I wouldv’e doffed my cap! He was flying down the road between Ferrensby & Minskip (North Yorks)

There are a few sharp bends on that road, I’m surprised it didn’t tip over!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I have to admit I’d quite happily drive a Kitten.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have to admit I’d quite happily drive a Kitten.

Me too, that was the 4 wheel version so was probably reasonably safe except for the glass fibre bits!

There are a few sharp bends on that road, I’m surprised it didn’t tip over!

I know, he turned into a garage in Minskip, RS Motors. I really shouldv’e followed him & shook his hand!

Braver man than me!

blader1611
    Free Member

I hung round with a guy who had a british racing green kitten that looked a bit tatty but he had shoe horned a Rover v8 engine in it. He would,when the mood suited him, have races with sports car off the line and obliterate them,was quite funny. He later appeared on Scrapheap challenge with his brother who was equally an engineering genius.

Esselgruntfuttock – he was from Wetherby so not far from where you are.

loxy
    Free Member

The green v8 reliant kitten was in street machine magazine many moons ago (late 80s?) had wheelie bars and hand made “seats” with very little base as normal seats wouldn’t fit with the engine encroaching into the cab and the huge rear wheel tubs at the back

Ambrose

I was passed by a Bond Bug a fortnight ago. I rather like them tbh, after one somehow washed up in a friends garden in the 1987 Towy valley floods.

mick_r

Google Beardmore Brothers for the V8 Kitten. Very clever chap who I was working with last week (also an mtber so might be lurking on here).

bikebouy
    Free Member

blader1611
    Free Member

Mick r – thats the chaps. Really nice set of lads who were rather adept with the spanners. Also for blokes with very fast customised cars they very rarely showed off or ragged the cars.

ads678

Why do people say Robin Reliant? You wouldn’t say Focus Ford!!

#pissboiling

andrewh
    Free Member

Why do people say Robin Reliant? You wouldn’t say Focus Ford!!

#pissboiling

Model T Ford

E-Type Jag

3 1/2 litre Bently

Series 1 LandRover (Series 11 LandRover, Series !!A LandRover, Series !!! LandRover)

S Class Mercedes (E Class Merc, C Class Merc)

colournoise

That Kitten…

(remember it well from my youth spent reading various car mags)

colournoise

Much more scary…

globalti
    Free Member

A pal of mine does a lot of caving and mine exploring and quite a lot of adits and entrances are accessed by farm tracks. He used to drive a Reliant Robin and when the track had a high central hump, driving up them became quite challenging because the front would be pointing up in the air and the wheel would slip off the hump in wet weather.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

the road between Ferrensby & Minskip

There are a few sharp bends on that road

It’s odd how many astonishingly bad over takes i see on that road, it seems to attract people who like to drive round blind bends or over blind summits in the right-hand lane.

Nico
    Free Member

Robin Reliant

As above. Weird. You never hear of a Scimitar Reliant or Regal Reliant (III Regal Reliant?). I think it was Jasper Carrott started it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Carrott Jasper you mean?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Carrott Jasper you mean?

No, your’e thinking of Casper Jarrot.

Robin Reliant/Reliant Robin. WGAF?

(apart from a couple of people on here)

edlong
    Free Member

I also remember that Pro Street Kitten from Street Machine magazine.

If nothing else, I’m pleased to see that I’m not the only person who remembers the magazine – it seemed odd that I remember it being a magazine you’d see on newsstands everywhere but then it seemingly vanished off the face of the earth. And not when all the rest of print media shat itself in the face of the internet, but back when magazines were still big sellers, and modified car mags (Max Power etc.) were still very popular. I miss Street Machine.

unovolo
    Free Member

I miss Street Machine.

You do know its been brought back, its quite popular on the Retrorides forum I have even seen copies of it in certain WH Smiths stores of you can buy it direct.

http://street-machine.co.uk/

fooman

I went to college with one of the Beardmore  brothers I remember the Kitten being built. They sold me my first car a Morris Minor trouble was it needed restoring before it could be driven… More on their cars on their website;

http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/reliant_kitten.htm

maxtorque

Many years ago i bloke i worked with had a Hyabusa powered kitten.  Great fun, until you forget and park nose in to a parking space (no reverse gear 😉 )

Tinners

I can’t be the only one to open this thread expecting the answer to be “Gnusmas”……..

andrewh
    Free Member

Really? You’ve clearly never driven the Gnusmobile! (I did manage to overtake a JCB in it once, but that was parked so probably doesn’t count)

pandhandj
    Free Member

Ambrose beat me to it but a very close friends Dad had a Bong Bug in the late 70’s early 80’s.  Said mate was thoroughly embarrassed by it then, cool as **** now.  Friends dad eventually sold it and bought  205 GTi.  It’s now that I’m older that I realise that Norry was actually a top bloke.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I know a garage owner that has 2 Bond Bugs. He gets really, really tired of people asking him to sell them. I also knew a guy with 3 of these.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘This evening on my way home in the car I was overtaken by….’ is closed to new replies.