• This topic has 36 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • this country loves a good funeral…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

why ? Find it strange how media hypes it all up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33991635

I personally didn’t know her and she did nothing to change my life in anyway…

Thoughts to her family of course…

andyl
    Free Member

I personally didn’t know her and she did nothing to change my life in anyway…

Then why care enough to read the news about her and waste your time making a post about it?

Obviously quite a lot of people did care about her and what they do is up to them. Don’t see any excess hype tbh for someone who was famous and very popular.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m guessing this is Cilla… have no desire to click on a bbc entertainment link.
    No idea why the media insist on making public entertainment out of funerals.
    I did like Cilla though.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Then why care enough to read the news about her and waste your time making a post about it?

hits you in the face when you open the bbc news site up…

jimjam
    Free Member

unfitgeezer
    hits you in the face when you open the bbc news site up…

See also the way they are running it on BBC news channel and Sky news as if it’s actual news.

fasthaggis

He has grown bored with winding his family up all holiday,so he headed straight back here to post some choice globules . 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Yeah, it is a shame there hasn’t been some horrifying incident involving the deaths of millions more worthy poor people to knock it off the front pages …… (said with heavy cynicism, for the irony-impaired)

slowoldman

“It’s like Cinderella has returned to Liverpool… If Cilla were here, she’d love it.”

Erm, she is. But…

Anyway, I think it’s a Catholic thing. I mean, the turnout for Verdi’s funeral was massive and what did he do for the arts?

kimbers

Cliff?!

thats going to look bad in a few years time when he gets sent down

Harry_the_Spider

Cliff got the gig because he’s the priest’s mate.

ninfan
    Free Member

Something tells me that you’re not Cillas biggest fan, although I think that anyone who had a heart would probably understand how she was adored by a section of Liverpool society, for whom little things mean a lot (though it’s probably fair to say that anyone with a little bit of understanding of Liverpool would know there’s always a few up to join in any grief-fest)

I mean, I’ve been wrong before, though if I thought you’d ever change your mind, then we could have some decent conversations about it. But through the years she had done a lot for the morale of a city that was trying to come to terms with the loss of its heart and soul

cheez0
    Free Member

I’d rather be dead than have Cliff Richard sing at my funeral.

jimjam
    Free Member

He’s gonna be singing this…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tuAkdlLhTE[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

We need lodderick to comment.

martinhutch

Cliff got the gig because he’s the priest’s mate

Devil Woman?

Rats, too slow.

nemesis
    Free Member

My favourite story about Cilla

Cilla, The Frequent Flyer
    Known – and feared – throughout the cabin crew community, Cilla Black’s in-flight attitude is the stuff of legend.

Not only would she insist upon travelling first class, she’d demand seat 1A. That was only the first of many demands too – all of which were made through her PA, as Cilla didn’t want to speak to any staff herself. The full nine yards too, not so much as a please or thank you.

One flight attendant eventually grew so tired of her behaviour, that he leaned over to speak directly to her and uttered the immortal line: “I knew you couldn’t sing, but I didn’t know you couldn’t **** speak”.

http://popbitch.com/home/2015/08/12/black-out/

alimarsh
    Free Member

Liverpudlians love wallowing in self pity so any chance to broadcast this to the world will be grabbed with both hands

nemesis
    Free Member

Do they really? More than anyone else in the UK?

It seems to me to be a slur based on ignorance from misinformation sown by the Sun and other media post-Hillsborough when it was made out people in Liverpool were whining about something they caused themselves. Given what’s subsequently been proven, it doesn’t really seem justified, does it? By my reckoning, they had every right to feel hard done by about it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not only would she insist upon travelling first class, she’d demand seat 1A.

You can’t “insist” on flying first unless you’ve paid for it, at which point it seems fair.
    Demanding 1A is fine, but if it’s already occupied, tough. I’ve been asked to give up my chosen seat (including 1A on one occasion) for another passenger before. I declined.

jimjam
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

My favourite story about Cilla

Known – and feared – throughout the cabin crew community, Cilla Black’s in-flight attitude is the stuff of legend.

Not only would she insist upon travelling first class, she’d demand seat 1A. That was only the first of many demands too – all of which were made through her PA, as Cilla didn’t want to speak to any staff herself. The full nine yards too, not so much as a please or thank you.

One flight attendant eventually grew so tired of her behaviour, that he leaned over to speak directly to her and uttered the immortal line: “I knew you couldn’t sing, but I didn’t know you couldn’t **** speak”.

I’ve got worse. So much worse. Directly from someone who worked with her. I’m not going to recount them here as I’m not sure anyone would believe me, plus it’s bad form since she’s dead n’all but holy **** she was a bad egg behind the scenes.

The stuff I’ve heard from former collegues in the TV industry would be more akin to what you might expect from say, Whitney Houston.

nemesis
    Free Member

CFH, I expect that she was insisting on whoever was paying her fare, not the airline…

Was it Cilla who asked for 1A? If not, you’ve no idea 😉

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve heard very similar stories about her from cabin crew who’ve had the pleasure of her on their flights in the past. The ones I spoke to mentioned that she would speak to the crew through her husband rather than a PA but it was essentially the same story.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The BBC does indeed love a funeral. It’s being played out in a Diana’esque manner this one.

Mind, they are cheap to film…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Poped home to get some lunch and put another load of washing in the machine, stick the news on and……………..

I’m sorry, but I really don’t care, I knew she died, it made me sad like any normal person would be at the thought of someone dying, then I moved on. Today I wanted some news, not blanket coverage of a car driving at 5mph through liverpool.

binners

I don’t know why they’re over-egging this one so much. They did a whole two hour phone-in on Five Live with a load of over-emotional scousers droning on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and onand on and on and onand on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about Cilla, Merseybeat, the Cavern Club and the Beatles, featuring various ‘Professional Scousers’ who, just like Cillla, had been nowhere near the place in decades

lemonysam
    Free Member

Poped home

bikebouy
    Free Member

^ 😆

Professional Scousers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

😆

Naaa, rockin’ this bad ass status symbol.

The BBC does indeed love a funeral. It’s being played out in a Diana’esque manner this one.

Mind, they are cheap to film…

Is it really though? They still presumably pay their correspondents elsewhere in the world and the UK, and presumably they’re paying to have a helicopter fly over it for hours on end.

MrOvershoot

Well I’m at work here in Liverpool (Toxteth/Dingle) and when the news was on with her funeral details the telly in the canteen was switched off and the two locals said “Not watching that crap” and walked out.
    Nobody here is remotely interested and most are locals (I’m not interested or local)

loddrik
    Free Member

Well I live in Liverpool and no one I know could give a toss about her. Quite the opposite in fact. The media is making out like she is some sort of national treasure/Scouse hero. They’re way, way off the mark. She might be loved by people of her generation, but most people in liverpool view her with contempt.

It was just on Radio 5. This is Cilla Black ffs.

Pigface
    Free Member

Rolling news needs content, this is a Godsend on a quiet news day.

El-bent
    Free Member

this country loves a good funeral…

Only if the right person has croaked.

voodoo_chile

Who cares ,she left a long time ago and probably hardly returned ….she played the game

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is the longest she’ll have spent in Liverpool since the sixties?

CountZero

Meh. Currently looking for the rat’s ass I couldn’t give.

Northwind

I’m always curious how many of the mourners gave a shit about the deceased, the day before they died. I mean, that’s pretty standard, we had folks come out of the woodwork for my grandad’s funeral that hadn’t seen him since about 1960 but much more so for celebs. Don’t begrudge it or anything, it’s not important- but it’s a wee bit weird.

Maybe we should create some enormous online database in which you can list your opinions on everyone ever born, from one to ten. And that way, when they die, we can tell if you’re a ****.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m bored so I’ll weigh in for a laugh.

I not a fan of her music or her terrible TV work and never met her, so I don’t feel like a knew her, when I didn’t, so I’m not grieving her passing anymore than the thousands of other people who died recently who I’ve never heard of.

The Luvvie crowd are all falling over each other to get their has-been faces on TV to blub her passing, but that’s no measure of anything, self-promotion comes with the territory.

But sod it, 12 months ago she was all but forgotten and come Christmas when they roll out those review of the year TV shows and mention her death we’ll all think “oh yeah, she died”.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘this country loves a good funeral…’ is closed to new replies.