Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • This bloke wants to cut down my tree…insurance issue?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

A chap wants to cut down trees for people so that he can use the wood for fuel. I have some that I would like removing but don’t fancy doing it myself so getting him to do it seems a good deal. But what if he gets hurt while doing it, could I be sued? Professionals have insurance so maybe he should?

nedrapier

check he’s got Professional and Public Liability.

£5m limit would be good, £10m better

beanieripper
    Free Member

make sure he has professional indemnity/damage insurance and accident insurance for himself… for tree surgery about 5million plus..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mudshark
    Free Member

Given that he’s just a bloke who wants some wood I don’t think he has anything at the moment.

bruneep

is he selling the wood on tho?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Make sure the tree aren’t listed first!

neninja
    Free Member

Would it stand up in law to make him sign a not for profit disclaimer that you are allowing him to cut wood for his own not for profit use on such a date and you are not liable for any injury or loss his might sustain through his own actions on your property.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You cannot contract out of negligence ie disclaimers are a waste of time – but than how could you be negligent if he cut your tree down? he won’t be able to sue you but if he damages anything else while doing it like neighbours houses or whatever they might have a claim on you

beanieripper
    Free Member

if he cuts his face off with the chainsaw he could try to sue you for damages if working for you, it has been known for people to try..

beanieripper
    Free Member

what trees are they and where are they? ie roadside, in your garden etc? have they got tpo’s on em?

stavromuller
    Free Member

Check with the council if it’s ok to fell the trees and then pay a proper company to do it.

mudshark
    Free Member

They’re Leylandii type things, no protection. The wood is for his use to heat his house. No point paying anyone to do it – anyway, I like the idea of this sort of thing – he gets the wood, I get more light into my garden.

bedmaker

Let him chop the trees. Everything will be fine. Stop worrying. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Assuming they can’t land on anything valueable, it’s his problem if he gets taken out by it – all you did was give him permission to do it, not employ him.

timber

would be nice to know that he knows what he’s doing
    If he is insured, his insurers would require him to be qualified, which improves the chances of everything ending up as it should.

Check for TPO, any local landscape designations and if it is over 5 tonne total mass, a felling license.

mudshark
    Free Member

He’s taken a lot of trees down but don’t suppose he has any training. Not sure how heavy the tree is…how do I tell?!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if he cuts his face off with the chainsaw he could try to sue you for damages if working for you, it has been known for people to try..

To avoid risking him trying that stunt, finish him off with the chainsaw to the throat as he writhing around in agony.

andyl
    Free Member

these replies are far too sensible. Where is the one waning about cutting off a childs face?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Let him do it, if he cuts his head off claim never to have seen him before

gwj72
    Free Member

Can he cut my tree down? BOTH of my bloody cats are stuck up it right now.
    I’m giving them time up there to reflect on their actions before assisting.

On topic – this sort of thing used to be common place. You come chop my trees down, I’ll come and plow your field. Still happens out here in the country. I wouldn’t worry so much and let him get his firewood. Worth keep an eye out so he doesn’t do anything too stupid (if he looks a bit stupid).

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Don’t forget to consider any implications of heave in the ground, especially if it is a big tree

anjs
    Free Member

Also check you are not in a concil presevation area wherte cutting any tree down trequires concil approval.

duckman

What if he is up the tree cutting away with a chainsaw, drops the saw, it falls into the neighbour’s garden, bounces off the trampoline into the nursery next door and cuts a childs face off? WHAT THEN EH?

Please, won’t somebody think of the children, is free wood(snigger)worth a child’s face?

There; done.

convert

Leylandii is flipping horrible wood to burn anyway!

higgo
    Free Member

I hope there isn’t a robin’s nest in the tree.

gwj72
    Free Member

??

MartinGT
    Free Member

How close are they to structures?

mudshark
    Free Member

Plenty of room in my garden though it is by a fence.

Why is Leylandii horrible wood to burn? Well it isn’t ideal as burns quickly but otherwise I see no problem with it. I chopped down a number of smaller trees that had grown out of the hedge and burnt that wood; no harmed children though I did scare a pigeon.

convert

It is know to fur up chimneys at an alarming rate.

timber

Practice counts for a lot too, if you know him and his work, it is fine to make that decision, if not I’d want to see that they are competent.

Regarding the weight 5t is a fair tree. A rough guide is a cubic metre is a tonne. So a lot of mature hedge trees may exceed it. Licenses are free, or just do a few each year.

bedmaker

Worth checking the roots aswell. They could be the only thing holding two tectonic plates together.
    Cut trees=dead roots=huge earthquake.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘This bloke wants to cut down my tree…insurance issue?’ is closed to new replies.