Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • thinking of trading in my 5 spot for……
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hadge -As I recall you had a 5spot some time ago, then a Yeti?

Why are you looking at getting a 5spot again?

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I sold my 5 spot a few years back after riding various Turners for a few years. Fancied a change so tried a few other sus frames (spesh enduro etc) and now have another 5 spot! I’d try a different shock on yours. I run a nice Pushed Vanilla RC on my 5 spot with some pikes up front and big tyres, short stem- pretty burly. Slightly tweaked the cockpit set up and it’s much better than my old set-up.

Properly test ride the cannondale before making a decision. Turners can be pretty neutral riding wise. Good allrounders but not super thrilling at anything in particular. The plus side is that they require little servicing and I’ve yet to damage any of my frames.

In my case I tend to ride the same local trails most of the time, so a new bike tends to make them seem a bit different/fresh. Probably not the right reason for buying a new bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

some people with good taste in bikes here lol 🙂

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

There’s an awful lot of prejudice against Cannondale’s, especially from those of us old enough to remember the frames they made in the mid-90’s. Even back then they had a lifetime warranty and I seem to recall that one particular frame had a 100% failure rate.

Personally I’ve always regarded Cannondale as overpriced, but they never shy away from interesting design and recent bikes seem to have had great reviews.

But I can see why you might be getting a little bored of the Turner. As Mrtrotter says the handling is very neutral, but I am still amazed after three years just what my Flux will let me get away with.

Ride the ‘Dale though and see what you reckon, single pivots definitely have their own charms!

muggomagic

Thanks for all the responses.

I would like to add I’m a long time admirer of Cannondales and over the years I’ve owned 6 or 7 of them. The one thing holding me back from getting rid of the 5 spot is that it is the only bike that from new felt just right. Most bikes I’ve owned I’ve had to spend a bit of time loathing them and changing parts and in the end getting used to them. I never had that with the 5 spot, from day one it felt sorted. It’s still an great bike to ride, but I just keep seeing these Cannondales in Evans and they have really caught my eye.
    I kinda guess I’m pleased that the general concensus is keep the Turner.

IdleJon

<troll mode>

Farticus – Member

That Rize is like lusting after a fat lass* after 10 pints – won’t seem such a smart move in the morning, when you’ve already got a jaw-dropping beauty at home

The jaw dropping beauty being an old rebadged Kona 4 bar?

<troll mode off>

Seriously, why are do so many of the 5 Spots need different or retuned shocks?

Hadge
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – I had a 5.5 Intense & 5 Spot, sold them then I had a 575, which I’ve just sold. Got a nagging injury that means keeping a high priced bike as a commute a bit silly. I’ve got all the kit build another cheap 5″ travel bike and I found the 5 Spot the best ride – as in the plushest of any of the above bikes. It was probably a bit tongue in cheek asking to buy the 5 Spot. I’m not getting into the discussion as to which would be better – Dale or Spot but if it was available cheap I’d have itI suppose. My new commute is nearly finished anyway and don’t worry it’s nowt special but it will do lol.

woodsman
    Free Member

Interesting comments Farticus, but I don’t bother myself too much with ‘bob’ concern when standing on the pedals, it’s a full suss bike, if you stand then it’ll move – is the way I look at it. I don’t bother with fork lockout either. Mine is set up not so xc, so none of that bothers me. I wouldn’t mind a good coil over shock for it sometime though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A very good point woodsman, the fact is that a full suss bike will move with your weight shifts.

People get quite upset by this seemingly unreasonable behaviour!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘thinking of trading in my 5 spot for……’ is closed to new replies.