Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Thinking of giving up using my legs because all the walking around me is boring.
  • joemmo
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe walking just isn’t for me. All the paths and pavements nearby are mostly flat and… paved. I’ve tried taking shortcuts over grass verges, galloping, stepping up and down kerbs sideways and even hopping backwards but I’m not feeling it like I used to. It’s just become so pedestrian.

Not sure if its the combination of the interesting walking being too far away or if my new comfy shoes are making walking too easy so I’ve also considered either going barefoot or wearing some completely impractical footwear just to add some challenge to it.

Anyone else feeling this? What have you done to keep walking fresh and exciting? Are e-legs the answer?

teethgrinder

funkmasterp

Skipping. Skipping everywhere is the answer!

martinhutch

Bring your legs to life by going rigid with plus size socks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sirromj

Inversion.

zippykona

hardtailonly

Get some wooden cloggs. And some leg calipers. Relive old-skool walking like when it first became fashionable. You’ll relearn all your old skills and choose your lines across the pavements, up kerbs, along low walls in a refreshingly new way.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Platform soles really bring the paths to life.

kayak23

😁

jekkyl

What sort of legs have you got Op? Maybe try some different legs. Perhaps you’d suit a pair of young lady’s legs? with some suspenders and heels.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

“You can’t beat yr brain for entertainment.”

Julian Cope – ‘Head On/Reposessed’

Recommended read.  Especially the ‘speed-walking around Tamworth’ parts.

robhughes
    Free Member

Have you tried standing still walking.Looks like much more fun and may overcome your boredom 🙂 

scaredypants

as ever, the answer is “treadmill”

(and zwift, obvz)

😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Wrong forum.

Otherwise a pretty good attempt.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve gone from 26″ legs to 29″. Seems to help getting over obstacles.

nicko74

What you should do is sell the right leg – you don’t need left AND right, as they pretty much cover the same type of walking. Or give it to molgrips, and then you can borrow it when you do want to use it.

Then you can buy a pogostick leg – you may not use it as often, but when you do want to go for a bit more of a fun adventure, it’ll be much better suited to it, with the travel and geometry options. Check out http://www.pogosticklegs.com, they’ve got a sale on at the moment

sirromj

Pogo stick legs are like so last year. Dropper stilts are going to be everywhere soon trust me.

kerley
    Free Member

Go back to basics and walk in bare feet.  You really have to think about your line choices and makes all the pavements more interesting.

garage-dweller

Are you just walking at a single speed?

If so you you might want to try a variety of 10, sorry I meant 11 or maybe 12 speeds? Much easier on the knees.

I also find the Q-factor on some walks can be a problem particularly near bus stops.

joemmo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the support and suggestions, it’s really opened my eyes to a world of perambulation. After some research I’m going to try a longer stride while slackening my knees by a few degrees which should in turn lower my bottom. Hopefully the extra stability will help me take on pave features that I’ve previously avoided like manhole covers and wheelchair ramps.

If this doesn’t work then I may strap some bags to my limbs and give leg-packing a go. I’ve heard that sleeping under a bush and eating from a tin really takes the strolling to a deeper level.

senorj

The O.p. on his walk to work?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve gone from 26″ legs to 29″. Seems to help getting over obstacles.

Has some negative side effects though, turns folks into a pompous, know it all arse…

tartanscarf

“Leg packing” – genius!

Trimix
    Free Member

Try walking in the dark, in high heels, makes the whole thing way more exciting 🙂

scruff9252

What you need to try young man is Prancersise. You’ll become the envy* of your local community when smashing out these badboy moves.

*Or something like that.

otsdr
    Free Member

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Buy some Gravel Trainers, people confuse them with ordinary trainers , or even normal shoes, but they are amazing, they will reinvigorate your walking, and your bank balance

funkmasterp

Is it a weight thing? Try replacing your knee, hip and ankle joints with carbon fibre ones.

slowoldman

Take a tip from William Kemp to liven up your perambulations.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/will-kemps-nine-days-wonder-1600

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Get one of these :

or a fat version :

perchypanther
    Free Member

as ever, the answer is “treadmill”

Nah,  it’ll never take off

hardtailonly

Thanks for all the support and suggestions, it’s really opened my eyes to a world of perambulation. After some research I’m going to try a longer stride while slackening my knees by a few degrees which should in turn lower my bottom. Hopefully the extra stability will help me take on pave features that I’ve previously avoided like manhole covers and wheelchair ramps.

If this doesn’t work then I may strap some bags to my limbs and give leg-packing a go. I’ve heard that sleeping under a bush and eating from a tin really takes the strolling to a deeper level.

^^^ wins 😂

joemmo
    Free Member

one of the most curious aspects of this quest for inspiration are the instances of people suggesting some kind of overt or clandestine cross-shoeing as a means to add some excitement to walking. I’m not going to comment apart from to say you don’t get calves like these from walking in flip-flops darling.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of giving up using my legs because all the walking around me is boring.’ is closed to new replies.