Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • thinking of getting a used hero session?
  • pip001
    Free Member

hi.i,m thinking of purchasing a used hero session for mtb,road and some holiday filming.ive had a hero3 before but like the compactness of the session.just wondering what peoples thoughts are
    of the two and which is most suitable.budgets going to be around the £100 mark.any advice would be helpful ta.

BlobOnAStick

I got one. It’s the only GoPro I’ve used.

It’s great – the form factor is small and waterproof without a case (I used it for sailing videos to check my technique etc). Vid quality is good.

Drawbacks:
    Built-in battery means that you have a ‘one shot’ charge which lasts approx 2 hrs. After that it’ll need a recharge before you can use it again (no popping out the battery and sliding a new one in)

No built-in screen means you use the app via your phone to make sure the framing is correct. Using the bluetooth/wifi means the battery life is reduced, but allows for remote control if the camera is at the top of the mast for instance.

Downloading vids using wifi is slooooooow. Better off buying a card reader to plug into your phone and extracting the card each time you want to downlaod the vids.

Think thats it.

bigG
    Free Member

I bought a refurbished one last year for £100 and it’s been great. It’s cheap and sturdy enough that i don’t mind giving it to the kids to use, adding a cheap floating handle to it means it’s pool / sea proof without any hassle or added cases. I’ve stuck it on my helmet to record family bike rides, stuck it in the pond for a couple of hours to see what the fish actually get up to and mounted it on the roof of the car to record a road trip. It’s of a size that it’s pretty usable without being an annoyance.

In terms of worrying about what it’s seeing it’s easy to set up using the app, or just point shoot and accept you’re not shooting a Hollywood blockbuster.

I stick the memory card into a card reader and that makes loading videos from it very easy. I don’t see there being sufficient difference between the session cameras to make the additional cost worthwhile if I’m honest.

I don’t understand why they stopped selling them to be honest

airvent
    Free Member

My thoughts are that you’ll never watch the footage back more than once, it will make your ride look shit and you’ll be £100 worse off.

Been there, done the gopro thing. Sorry to sound a killjoy but you’ll be amazed how fast the novelty wears off.

hooli

I got one for my son a few years back, I wanted something as small as possible and something he could just press record and stop without the need to mess with settings. It also stops him bumping something when it is mounted on his helmet.

It does what I wanted, he likes it and it takes some good footage when the light is good. Not as good as some of the higher models in dappled shade or low light.

The comment about the battery above is true, it is integrated so when it is done it is done. We carry a battery bank in the pack and charge it up during lunch or on the climbs. It changes pretty quickly.

sharkattack

I’ve had a Session for a few years. I find the small size means that the body can hold around 50% less dust than a regular model while it’s sitting on my shelf.

pip001
    Free Member

thanks for the imput.i can imagine the novelty of mtb vids wearing of but it will be used on the commute to work which is 30mins ish each way and definitely on holiday.can you you use the wrist remote with the session and is a 5 abetter buy than a 4 ?

BlobOnAStick

I’ve had a Session for a few years. I find the small size means that the body can hold around 50% less dust than a regular model while it’s sitting on my shel

Ha ha ha! Brilliant!

I agree to a certain extent. Like I say, I use it for checking techniques when I’m sailing for a bit of self-coaching (or to show someone else and ask for coaching). Must admit it’s been sat in a box for the past 6 months though.

Markie
    Free Member

we have a session 4. Love it. Daughter uses it for cycling, surfing, swimming, school projects, whatever. Me the same. Gives us a few great photos every day it’s used.

nickb

>I find the small size means that the body can hold around 50% less dust than a regular model while it’s sitting on my shelf.

Made me laugh out loud! Thanks, I needed a bit of a smile!

martymac

Airvent +1.
    I bought one a few years ago, took it to canada on a winter holiday and didn’t look at any of the footage.
    Ymmv.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘thinking of getting a used hero session?’ is closed to new replies.