Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thinking of getting a Genesis IO
  • MikeWW
    Free Member

Single speeded a Trek at the moment but really fancy getting a ‘proper’ single speed. I’d like horizontal drop outs and to do away with the tensioner and limitations when you are changing rear cogs

Anyone got one?
    Any feedback?

2 other things I’m not sure of

Brakes are Shimano M486 which I believe are resin only pads. Are they Ok, can you get hold of them easily and are they going to be a problem in the winter?

Will I be able to live the steel forks or am I going to end up splashing out
    on carbon ones?

Thanks

Keef
    Free Member

I know a couple of people with them,perhaps you know someone who you could borrow one off for a test ride ?

geoffj

I have 2 (1 is alfined) both are fuly rigid and fine for me, but I’m a wheels on the ground kinda guy! Oh and mine came with the Hayes Sole which have been replaced with BB7s.

If you are anywhere near Perth you can try one of mine.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Thanks geoffj but down in the Midlands
    xckeef1-it’s the brakes and forks that concern me and don’t know anybody that has got either
    Can’t even find the pads on the web which is puzzling
    Alternative is to buy a frame rather than a complete bike and start building

james
    Free Member

“Alternative is to buy a frame rather than a complete bike and start building”
    Thats what the mag said to do
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/02/reviewed-genesis-io/

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I have one with the Hayes brakes which are going to be replaced pretty soon.
    I have had no problems with the forks although only being using this winter so the ground has been pretty soft aka blummin muddy!
    If you can get a deal on a fully built up bike I’d stick with that as I think the majority of the kit is ok (with the exception of the brakes and pedals)

zaskar
    Free Member

I’d get the frame if you’re picky but kits on ready made bikes are a gooid deal too.

Nice bike!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Hmmm
    Thanks
    Think I’m leaning towards buying the frame and building it up

geoffj

Mike – the ST review linked to above was for the previous model.
    The frame was available separately but was Reynolds 725 rather than 520 as on on the complete bike. I don’t know what the difference in material would actually mean.

The current frame only deal is the same as the complete bike – 520.

bodgitandscarpper
    Free Member

mike,
    if you can hack stick with the solid forks ad fat rubber.
    just keep it simple and smile while all your mates have issues.
    solid forks are great in winter, with very little to go wrong. just like single speeds. as for the brakes it all depends on your style of riding. keep it smooth dont brake hard and you wont have to work hard, (he who brakes first looses) 😉
    if your over 6foot you can try my 29er

franki
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one as a complete bike. I needed to be mobile real quick, so didn’t have time to play about building one up.
    Only done two offroad rides on it so far, but I love it already. I’ve never ridden a ss before – other than my commuter and I’m amazed what I can manage on it tbh. I’m more of a spinner than gear masher on my regular bike and wondered how I’d fare with one gear, but I’m learning to adapt my riding style and am enjoying the experience. The geometry seems spot on for climbing and singletrack, handling is pretty sharp. 😀
    The forks don’t seem overly harsh (not ridden anywhere really rocky, though) and are certainly fine for local forest riding.
    Bit early to tell how the brakes will hold up. They don’t feel particularly beefy, but they stop me a lot better than the old Minis on my HT. 😉

Alb
    Free Member

Geoffj – the frame only option has always been Reynolds 725 whilst the complete bike uses 520 (to keep costs down). If you’ve seen a 520 tubed frame-only option for sale somewhere – it’s definately the remnants a stripped complete bike.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i had a 725 version, was absolutely beautiful, for what is a cheapish frame.

only thing i didn’t like was the track ends, which i’ve always disliked. they may look neat, but compared to sliding vertical dropouts they are a faff for taking the wheel in and out (based on having had 2 frames with track ends, and now having 2 with sliding dropouts)

geoffj

Alb – NO the genesis website is showing 09 frames as 520.
    Edit – iO 520 frame srp £195.73 (www.genesisbikes.co.uk/frame/io)

Alb
    Free Member

Apologies Geoff, you’re 100% right. The 07/08 frame only was 725 – it’s switched to 520 for 09. Sorry

Mister-P
    Free Member

Green iO frame for 2009 is Reynolds 520.

If you are anywhere near Northampton I have a 17.5 iO which you can have a go on. I have just put suspension forks on it after 8 months of riding rigid and I think I may swap them back.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies
    How do you think the frame compares to a Cotic Simple?

speaker2animals

Don’t Know how much the iO is but you can spec up an On-One sliding drop-out SS with XT hydro brakes for about £750.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of getting a Genesis IO’ is closed to new replies.