Thinking of doing Snake Pass, Castleton, Hayfield road ride tomorrow, advisable?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thinking of doing Snake Pass, Castleton, Hayfield road ride tomorrow, advisable?
  • It would seem like a nice shortish Peak road route with good views and satisfying climbs, were it not for the weather forecast. What do you reckon? Will I die? 😀

Premier Icon woody21
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Well there’s a severe weather warning in place, more for the high winds than anything but the forecast looks very wet as well. Snake Pass is relatively sheltered once you’re on the descent to the reservoirs and it might even be a tailwind on the climb out of Glossop.

Winnats Pass will probably have every breath of wind channelled straight down it and into your face. I’d probably choose the Edale road from Hope to be honest, the climb of Mam Nick will be a lot more sheltered and also more of a tailwind than Winnats.

Judging from the sounds outside right now and the crap falling down my chimney, the bad weather is just getting going!

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

It sounds pretty bloody manky out there right now, doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better!

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

Road ride? Nope. Not advisable at all.

Riding up Winnats in a comedicly strong headwind seemed like part of the appeal! 🙂

I will give it a go.. Thanks for the advice!

Mountain biking in this filth and wind? Err.. No thanks! Anyways, I’ve only brought my cyclocross bike with me to Manchester for the weekend. Wish me luck!

Err… Well that was definitely an ‘experience’!

I’ve never gone up Snake Pass in the big ring before – so that was quite good fun – being blown UP it today. Winnats pass less so. Dear god – I actually got blown backwards off my bike at one point. The road bit afterward to Chapel-le-Firth was like trying to ride into a brick wall.

Still, I survived and didn’t die – which is a bonus! 😀

whitestone

Good effort – I only went up and down the lane to test my brakes.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Respect is due.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Yep, I know what Rushup Edge is like in a headwind, good work!

jools182

What was the starting point?

I can’t get my head around going up snake pass to Castleton

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

crazy-legs – Member

Yep, I know what Rushup Edge is like in a headwind, good work!
    ugh – I’ve gone really far out of my way to avoid that after some bad experiences in the past.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

What was the starting point?

I can’t get my head around going up snake pass to Castleton

Start Glossop. Up Snake Pass heading east, descend to Ladybower Res. Turn right, drop down through Bamford. Turn right, along to Hope and then to Castleton. From there you go up Winnats, down Rushup to Chapel-en-le-Frith then over Chinley Head and Chunal Head to Glossop.

jools182

Fair old trek for me that 😀

^ That would be the one, yes.. 🙂

I also chucked an additional road loop around Burbage rocks and Hathersage – cos I was feeling great at that point (tailwind all the way 🙄 )

Didn’t feel so good once I headed into the wind though 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of doing Snake Pass, Castleton, Hayfield road ride tomorrow, advisable?’ is closed to new replies.