Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Thinking of ditching my iPhone
  • Jamie
    Free Member

listening to web radio like 6Music included

Interesting, via an app or safari?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So the £35 tariff was does that give you? the 600 mins of calls and 500 texts (wow I have 400 at the mo and with regular effort have never got over 250!!) what's the score with using the internet? Is that all included in the price unlimited? or if you go over a certain amount of time do you have to pay? the websites don't make it very clear!

cp

35 quid = 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited network data and unlimited access to The Cloud and another wifi hot-spot network.

you need to pay for the phone on this contract though, unless you are an 02 customer already and can get a free refurb.

use mine a lot for texting, web, emails, phone, ebay, f1 timing, tv guide, currency conversions, wikipedia, messenger, google maps as a sat nav, ipod…. over my 18 month contract I will save money over buying a new ipod, sat nav and my old SIM only contract… and I get loads of functionality in a very well thought out, genuinely useful and very very useable device!

GrahamS

Yep, unlimited mobile Internet access from the phone ("tethering" to a laptop etc is not included).
    You also get free access to any BT Openzone or The Cloud wi-fi spot.

GrahamS

Oh and the Spotify app will be out shortly giving you access to literally millions of tracks on the move.

Jamie
    Free Member

GrahamS:
    Oh and the Spotify app will be out shortly giving you access to literally millions of tracks on the move.

You have to have the premium £10 a month account tho.

Jamie:

Solved.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

That's also coming for symbian & android too apparently

spacemonkey

I've had a Tytn II (WM6) the last 18 months and wamted something a little more funky, but not with the iPhone politics. Did loads of research last week and picked up a HTC Hero on Yodafone on Saturday – 18 months, free phone, £35m 600 mins, ul texts, passport and ul data.

Have spent hours just setting it up and "playing" with it, because it's just so damn cool. Integrates Exchange, Googlemail (inc Reader, Docs, etc), Facebook, Flickr and Twitter plus loads more, so you get a one-stop shop for managing all your contacts, calendaring and updates.

Sweet iPhone-type UI (plus scenes for Work, Social, etc), loads of Android apps (inc Cardio Trainer which worked perfectly on a 3hr ride yesterday (with GPS, etc)), and more.

Ok, I've only had it a couple of days but I'm well impressed – it's what I'd call a 'lifestyle phone.' And the gf liked it so much she upgraded at the same time!

Highly recommended.

SM

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

What this Cloud wi fi thing?? I'm not very technie so don't really understand all that! I realise on that contract I would have to pay for the phone, £80 something mmmm will have to see!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Interesting SM, that looks like a nice phone.
    The Nokia N900 is looking pretty tasty too

spacemonkey

ooOOoo, can't say I know anything about the 5800 (or the OS it runs on), but it looks interesting. Regarding the Hero, I feel that the reviews and videos – great though they are – don't do it justice IMHO. When you actually have the phone in your hand and it's set up the way you want it (with customisable modes for work, social, sport, etc) then you realise how poweful it is in terms of making you feel connected to everyone you know and are in contact with (and beyond).

The best deals are on places like http://www.mobiles.co.uk.

Also, to get the most out of it you really need wi-fi or a fast connection.

SM

GrahamS

What this Cloud wi fi thing??

It's just a brand of public wi-fi spot that tends to pop up in some cafes, pubs, waiting rooms etc.
    Typically you'd have to pay to use a wi-fi spot like that, but they are all included in the contract for O2.

mrchrispy

im seriously looking at getting a 3GS in the next month or so, I dont tend to use the phone that much as as I'm over 18 I dont send that many text messages.

Its an expensive toy but I reckon PAYG is the best way to get one.
    £440 with data and wifi included (cost 10/month after the 1st 12 months)
    You are looking at a minimum of £740 getting one on contract.

Whats the deal with these free referbs then?
    that might be worth looking at.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Good stuff SM. Maybe not for me though as I have realised I am essentially a hermit, and am fighting back against the pressure to digitise and display my whole social life (or lack thereof) 😕

GrahamS

Solved. [/quote]

£3.99? I use fStream which is basic, but free.

cp

fstream didn't work very reliably for me at all… am going to try wunder radio

GrahamS

Hmm.. always been fine for me, mind you I tend to just use iPlayer when I'm on wi-fi anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

GrahamS:

£3.99? I use fStream which is basic, but free.

True, but it was the first one i found on the app store and only demo'ing it at the mo. Interface is a bit shoddy but so far been playing Radio4 and 6Music fine over WiFi. Going to test it over 3G in a bit.

Edit:

GrahamS

Ooh it is a fair bit prettier than fStream 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

I have that app above "WunderRadio" works a treat on a 3G signal although you will suffer the occasional drop for a few secs. I walked home on Friday from the office (45mins walk) and had an uninterupted signal of Radio4 all the way home.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Having not had a new phone for about 3 years (been sat on a sim-only deal for the past 18 months) I've decided to give a refurb 3g a go. Will be here for the weekend and I can play for two weeks before deciding to keep it or not.
    Until now I've been on WM6 and used the tethering option quite a bit, now it seems the iPhone can be tethered (although not completely legally but that was the also the case with WM6 on T-Mob and O2) it ticks the boxes.
    UI has always been brilliant IMO.

GrahamS

Actually the iPhone CAN be tethered completely legally – it's just that O2, in their infinite wisdom, don't include the tethered data as part of that nice "Unlimited 3G Data" package, but instead charge you £15 a month for it. Gits.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

CountZero

The app I use for radio is iCarRadio. It seems to handle the bitrate well, which OoTunes doesn't terribly well, although it has a very much wider range of stations available. One thing I've discovered with the 3G phone is available memory affects buffering significantly. I use FreeMemory first, then start up iCarRadio, which means it buffers quickly with minimum drop-outs. OoTunes is great for stations like CBC Radio3, which plays Canadian indy bands, with a 58kb bitrate. 6Music runs at 128kb, which is much cleaner, but OoTunes doesn't seem to handle well. I've tried WunderRadio, but it just doesn't seem to run over Edge networks like iCarRadio does.
    'Cloud' is just a term for ubiquitous wireless Internet access using free wifi hotspots or coverage across a whole town. 'The Cloud' is a commercial name for a wifi hot-spot provider, like BT Openzone or BT Fon. There's some interesting stuff about the amount of money being made from Android App sales compared to iPhone App Store sales on MacRumors. Very enlightening.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

See now all this talk about tethering and the like has really lost me and make me wonder what the HECK you are talking about!?? help….

clubber
    Free Member

Tethering is just using your mobile to provide an Internet connection for your computer so for example you could surf on your laptop while out and about. If you don't do that then ignore it.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Everyone else calls it 'using your phone as a modem' Munge 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I call it Tethering as it makes me sound cool….erm…doesn't it? 😉

Incidentally i use PDAnet if want to use the iPhone as a modem. Works very nicely with the MBP. Jailbreak needed tho.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Actually the iPhone CAN be tethered completely legally – it's just that O2, in their infinite wisdom, don't include the tethered data as part of that nice "Unlimited 3G Data" package, but instead charge you £15 a month for it. Gits.

See what you mean – yep tethering is not illegal, but frankly I think that data is data so being charged twice for the same thing is just wrong. Anyway I've been [responsibly] tethering for a couple of years now and never had an issue so I'm not going to start paying now 🙂

GrahamS

..think that data is data so being charged twice for the same thing is just wrong

Completely agree. Thought it was cheeky as **** when they announced it. Ridiculous that O2 are allowed to advertise "Unlimited Internet Data" and then charge extra for tethered data.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay think I'm with you! So if I wanted to just surf internet all day on the phone then it's included in the price plan??

GrahamS

Yes

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cool it's sounding ever more attractive 😆

cp

update on the radio thing – installed WunderRadio last night – it is a wonder, it's brilliant. Far better performance than FStream. No dropouts at all yet, listened to a few hours worth, very good quality streams too. super impressed!

GrahamS

Sweet, might give it a try then.

Discovered a great game last night: Word Ace.
    It's a live multiplayer cross between Texas Hold'Em and Scrabble/Boggle.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of ditching my iPhone’ is closed to new replies.