Thinking of cancelling Sky

Home Forum Chat Forum Thinking of cancelling Sky

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Thinking of cancelling Sky
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Following on from Spongebob’s Vodafone thread, I am thinking of cancelling Sky. Can I expect them to plead with me and offer me goodies to stay? I do want to cancel tho since all the stuff we now watch is on terrestrial digital, but I might be tempted by say, HD.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

They might convince you to keep paying for something you don’t want or need, by offering you something you’ve never had?

burnsybhoy

My HD box is dying with what I found out is a common fault with Thomson boxes.

Phoned straight through to cancellations who I know would try and charge me a £65 call-out charge, asked to leave due to sub-standard hardware in the current climate maybe it was better to save myself some cash.

Free call-out by special heights team on Tuesday to check dish, box etc. but I know it’s the box so I’ll end up with a replacement FOC.

Stick to your guns.

Spongebob

Sky are doing so good deals thanks to the Freesat threat. They also do home phone and broadband, but i think i’ll stay subscription free for my TV viewing. The License fee is enough and Freeview is sufficient. I might buy a Freesat HD PVR when they come down in price a little and when there is more choice of hardware. The trouble is I don’t have a dish yet. Satellite TV requires completely new infrastructure with a multi-feed LNB and dedicated cables to each receiver. I’m not shure if I can be arsed!

Got rid of mine just after new year (replaced with BT on demand – excellent).
    Sky werent too bad when I cancelled – they did ask why, and when informed the BT package was gonna cost me seven quid a month rather than the forty seven I was paying them, they just said ‘fair enough’. I’ve had a letter since, asking me to resubscribe, but all they were offering was a half price HD box – they may knackers.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

We’ve got the pay once watch forever option with sky and we’re still in the lots of free channels stage. I’ve been having a look at what we’ll be left with once we decline to pay a subscription and it seems they’ll switch off channels we could pick up with a £20 digibox! How does that work?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

They might convince you to keep paying for something you don’t want or need, by offering you something you’ve never had?

By offering me something I’ve never had but I know I want – like HD 🙂

I used to watch a lot of the subscription stuff, and I still would except that the movies have gone down the drain as has Discovery and Cartoon Network. Then Mrs Grips is a bit fussier than me so we watch what she likes (I’m happy with that tho) and she likes stuff that’s pretty much on freeview anyway.

I might stay if they offer me free HD, that’s about it.

sootyandjim

Got rid of mine just after new year (replaced with BT on demand – excellent).

I did the same last year. Although the sport isn’t quite as good I get most of the football (and more importantly ice hockey), etc I want to watch fed to my telly via a Slingbox picking up the feed from a second cable box at my brother’s house in Michigan.

BT Vision is cheap as chips and second cable box at my brother’s house costs me nowt and as he’s not short of a few quid he has every subscription service under the sun which means they’re available to me.

Been watching the new episodes of Battlestar Galatica recently, cracking program and not yet available over here.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Perchance anyone know where else you can watch NFL? Apart from the slingbox approach, which I am considering.

sootyandjim

I thought Sky had NFL? You could try them.

😉

Premier Icon nuttysquirrel
    Subscriber

Mountain biker and someone who has time to even watch Freeview? Amazing. I can’t find the time to watch telly, even when I actually want to!

burnsybhoy

Perchance anyone know where else you can watch NFL? Apart from the slingbox approach, which I am considering.

Yup they also show matches in HD. Member watching the packers v’s the giants a few years ago in the play-offs and the picture was stunning. It was like minus 10 and looked pretty cold.

Keva

I cancelled Sky recently. Weeks later they were still phoning me up trying to get me to re subscribe. It’s like… err.. NO!!

Gary_M

Mountain biker and someone who has time to even watch Freeview? Amazing. I can’t find the time to watch telly, even when I actually want to!

I rode around 6200 miles last year and managed to watch some tv, you need to learn time management skills. Why on earth would being a mountain biker stop you watching tv?

Anyway I tried to get free installation on a sky hd box but could only get it if I took multiroom, which I already have, and they wouldn’t play ball. I’m going to try the cancellation bluff game now.

I could quite happily cancel Sky and just have the free to air channels, then use my Love Film subscription to get all the films/documentaries/comedy/trash series such as 24 that I enjoy.

clubber

Better than saying you’ll leave – tell them you’re going to Virgin. I’m with Virgin and threatening to leave them for Sky just recently got me a silly deal – they’re clearly desperate to keep market share…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Mountain biker and someone who has time to even watch Freeview?

Ride, come home, watch tv – easy 🙂

I’d have virgin if they were in my street…

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

virgin didnt offer me anything clubber.. tho had previously had a free v+ box for being loyal etc. Swapping to sky is going to save me about £40pm which is fine by me at the mo!!

clubber

maxray – I was getting L broadband (10mb), XL TV (ie all the channels) and evenings and weekend calls for £38 per month (though IIRC that also included £2 per month for caller ID on the phones).

I got that when I said that sky were offering a better deal about a year ago.

I called last week and mentioned the Sky+ HD deal. They instantly offered me a V+ box and to keep the existing box (ie connection in two rooms now which is a big plus for me) for £5 a month extra ie £43.

Assuming that you’re not getting Sky for £3 a month, are you sure that you can’t get a better deal?

konakulakid

i cut my sky when it when 2 £16 for top package!!! wot yr was that???

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of cancelling Sky’ is closed to new replies.