Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Thinking of buying Bonty Race light wheelset
  • Gilles

Just saw on a popular online retailer a deal on Bontrager Race Light Wheelset. I’m thinking to go tubeless to justify my “serious into moutain biking” (and as a 40 year old birthday treat) . Are they any good? I’m planning to buy some bonty revolt tyres as well to go with them. Thanks for your feedback.

votchy
    Free Member

Gilles,

mick has been running bonty race lites, seem to be ok and as he is a tad bulkier than your good self they should be fine. can’t comment on the tyres as don’t know anything about them

E-mail me and let me know what you want doing with the MM money???

Mark

Gilles

Thanks Mark. For MM, I haven’t received any confirmation yet but I think they cashed the money. I have to double check that.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair for a couple of years – absolutely fine so far but I suppose they’re not the lightest.

swank
    Free Member

Got a set of Bontrager Race X wheels on a 9.8. Only ridden about 70 miles on the bike so far and all seem good and i weigh 16st 10lbs.

Doing the south downs way this weekend so should be a good test for them.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I have some Bontrager Xlite tubless wheels. Got them second hand off here a couple of years ago. I’ve raced them hard, and they’re still going strong. I rate them very highly.

Dunno much about the Bonty tyres though.

SB

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of Bonty Tyres – I use a pair of XCRs as allrounders and have found Mud-Xs to be a great winter tyre

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’ve been running one of the Race Lights predecessors (‘Race Modified Discs’) since about 2002. They’ve been on all sorts of HT and FS bikes, on all sorts of rocky & muddy terrain and they haven’t missed a beat – and I have quite a clumsy riding style!. Dunno if the new Race Lights still use DT hubs, but if they do they’re superb. I’ve never had to service the hubs or freewheel on mine – and although the rims are covered in lots of deep scratches and gouges they’ve always been as straight as a die (had spokes retensioned a couple of times tho). If the Race Lights are anywhere near as good as the ‘Race Mods’, I’d def, recommend them.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Oh..err, P.S. I’ve used mine tubeless with Bonty rimstrip and Jones/Mud X tyres and they work a treat.

Chevin
    Free Member

Just started using the DX bonty tyres (used to be called Dry X) Loads of grip – even when wet, but very very fast rolling. If it gets very wet out come the Mud X’s

Also been fully tubeless for 2 years or so. Never a problem.

Matthew

r6ymy
    Free Member

I have a set of Race Light wheels from Evans after someone on her pointed out the deal on them. Only a few weeks old so too early to comment on durability. The ‘Lite’ tag is a bit of a misnomer, they’re about 1800g a pair, but they do still use DT Hubs, and are a good way of trying tubeless at a reasonable price.
    I’ve used various tyres tubeless on Stans rims, and by far the easiest have been Bonty TLR Mud-X, went on easily, inflated instantly, and absolutely no pressure loss. I have a pair of Conti Mountain King Protection which took several days and several rides before they stopped losing pressure through the very porous sidewalls.

Gilles

Very useful, thanks to all of you!

Olster
    Free Member

i’d get them only if you intend using Bonty tyres as well – I found them very specific to the Bonty ‘family’ of products. Tyres that normally work a treat on other rims (like scwalbe) are a fag on X-lite rims. Think there’s better rims out there for the money but all depends on what you’re doing with them – for racing & frequent tyre changes (other brands) then I wouldn’t but for sticking a bonty UST or ‘tubeless ready’ on & forgetting about it then no worries. Also found that Bonty sealent awful at sealing up even small holes.

smogmonster

Been using 2 pairs of Race Lites for the last 2 years, great wheels, have stood upto my 15 stones of abuse and cack handed biking ‘abilities’ without issue. Ignore Olster, i use tubeless Nobby Nics on one set and Maxxis Ignitors on the others, they are a piece of p1ss to seat, and the Bonty Super Juice is great.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of buying Bonty Race light wheelset’ is closed to new replies.