Thinking about the Fred Whitton

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Thinking about the Fred Whitton
  • whitestone

It’s worth remembering that the named climbs/passes only account for about half the total climbing on the route so don’t assume that the rest of the route is flat. This is The Lakes: even the downhills are uphill!

As for my steel commuter/winter bike with 35c tyres being as fast as my carbon road bike on 25c? Err, nope!

I’d definitely use SPD pedals and shoes for the FW rather than Look Keos just in case you have to walk a bit.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Get your entry in as soon as possible

isn’t it a ballot entry?

and haven’t they thrown in another big climb after wrynose? I think the knowledge the hard work was done after that was the only thing that kept the pedals turning up there. I was shot.

mrb123

You turn left after Wrynose now and go over Blea Tarn. It isn’t a massive climb though and certainly a lot easier than most of the others. Plus the run down Great Langdale is pretty fast and relatively flat.

johnx2

It isn’t a massive climb

It’s over 20% though when you need it least. I thought the work was over and then they give you that kick in the nuts.

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Well I was thinking about applying to do the FW in 18 months, but now I’m signed up to do the RVC in 5 months! 😱🤔

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

5 months is ages away!!

Subscriber

Should be able to get a couple of turbo sessions in…….! 😵

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

I can’t imagine how horrible it must be riding up Hardknott with 2000 other divs wobbling around on it.

I’ve done the Fred three times and instead of the 2000 other divs you’re sneering at I found loads of friendly, supportive fellow cyclists. Fair enough some folk prefer riding alone, which I can understand, but personally I enjoy the sportive camaraderie, and getting to meet folk from all over the country.

As to the OP, my advice would simply be to get as low a set of gears as you can fit on your bike, don’t worry too much about your time (though do do a decent amount of training) and enjoy it. It’s tough at times (I’ve never managed all the way up Hardknott without walking bits) but a great feeling when you’ve achieved it.

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

I reckon I could train for the ups in 18 months time but I detest steep road bike descending; doing 25%+ descents with loads of other cyclists (and cars) around me fills me with dread.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I reckon I could train for the ups in 18 months time but I detest steep road bike descending; doing 25%+ descents with loads of other cyclists (and cars) around me fills me with dread.

Hardknott is closed for the FW now so no cars to worry about.
    Big tyres, disc brakes and a degree of common sense help on the descents. There’s almost always someone helicoptered off one of them (Buttermere is a particular favourite, there’s a right/left over a humpback bridge which usually catches someone out) but hold your line, don’t take stupid risks with your own abilities or when overtaking others and you’ll be alright.

Subscriber

I generally do prefer riding on my own; to be out by myself is partly why I do it.

But I think the novelty of a sportive, or an event like Ardrock is a bit of a treat for me. Taking part in something, the encouragement and atmosphere of being surrounded by other riders, the way marking (if needed, I could probably navigate something the the FW pretty easy anyway) all make up for a different day out from my normal riding.

Plus it’s a fixed target to aim for, I’ve got to be in good shape by April next year now, otherwise it’ll be embarrassing!!

butcher

Some of the descents are really not enjoyable and quite hard work. Partly because of the poor road surfaces.

boblo

I’ve done the Fred three times and instead of the 2000 other divs you’re sneering at I found loads of friendly, supportive fellow cyclists

I wasn’t sneering at anybody hence the word ‘other’. Ergo, I am one of those divs even though I prefer to ride without the crowds.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

I wasn’t sneering at anybody hence the word ‘other’. Ergo, I am one of those divs even though I prefer to ride without the crowds.

Apologies then, I misinterpreted the posting.

ratt1er

I’ve done the FW route before with friends and it is a toughie for sure, especially hardnott after 90 miles but it’s doable.

As far the descents you do need to be careful. I love em and try to go as fast as I can but you still need to leave a bit of margin. I did the C2C in a day this year (FW turned up to 11) and some poor lady died in a crash coming down the back of wrynose, so it serves as a reminder for caution.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.