Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Thinking about getting a 'big' timber delivery
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

We have 2 x open fires although one will hopefully become a multifuel stove some time this year. We have at least one fire running every evening during the winter and we burn a mix of coal and logs.
    Up until now I've had deliveries of logs (flatbed transit load) which cost about £70/load of chopped hardwood.
    I've found a chap you can supply 18 tons of hardwood in 3m lengths for about £35/ton delivered.
    Now this is a obviously a lot of wood but I do have the space for it and have a tractor for moving it around. Thing is it would need chopping (I've got a chainsaw but might need a bigger one) and splitting, so plenty of work involved – although I do rather like doing this sort of stuff.
    I guess I could hire a splitter (or buy one for the tractor and then sell it again after I'm done with it) to make life easier.
    So, would you bother to do all this and carry on paying for small deliveries, or go nuts and have enough (well seasoned) wood for a loooong time?

geoffj

There is a middle ground. I have trailer loads of sawn hardwood delivered, which I then split using a felling axe. I have a chainsaw, but I hate using it with a passion, and its an accident waiting to happen. If you went down your preferred route, there would be an awful lot of sawing and splitting left to do – depends how much time you have really.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

No – get tonnes of it and stack and store. Hydraulic tractor splitters can be had on Ebay for £500 ish. Compare that to a cheap electro-hydraulic one which will only split up to 2' lengths and be less powerful (10 tonne ones are about £250) and it looks like a bargain. With the tractor mounted one you can split long lengths very easily.

You can get saw horses that allow you stack up a load of split 4' lengths and cut the lot down to 1' lengths in 3 chops of a saw (have a look on Youtube – I think Oregan make one)

With this kit, it'll take you longer to stack it than to log it up and the money you save on delivering small loads will give you payback in next to no time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You can never have too much firewood.

Get the family involved chopping and stacking, its great fun. I chop mine with a chainsaw, then split with an axe or maul

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/GlassmountWoodPiles#

tod456
    Free Member

Do it, but forget using an axe, and get a screw type log splitter rather than a hydro-slitter they're much quicker however they connect directly to the PTO so they're not kid friendly!!

jedi

i would love a timber deleivery. i got loads of ideas of what to build 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

get a screw type log splitter rather than a hydro-slitter they're much quicker however they connect directly to the PTO

Not come across those. I presume you don't need to start the PTO from the tractor cab every time you want to split something?

sharkbait
    Free Member

This would be perfect – apart from the cost 🙁

Firewood processor

tod456
    Free Member

Yes you do have to turn the PTO on each time, as there’s no clutch type arrangement / safety cut off, once it's going that it nothing stops it.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice". The novelty soon wore off so I get it delivered already split.

atlaz
    Free Member

My old man buys large lengths and then chops a dozen or so logs up at a time as he needs them. One slight advantage is that if the unbroken logs get wet, the insides are likely to be drier than if you cut them all up at the start.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Those screw type splitters are very impressive – although marginally scary!

tod456
    Free Member

There’s no marginally about it, your sh!t yourself at least once using them. Just wear a short sleeve top and no gloves.

sharkbait
    Free Member

This one looks good…….. british too 🙂

Hy-Crack

swamp_boy

What diameter is it? If you don't like using a chainsaw a 30 or 36" bowsaw is remarkably effective, though you do need a good blade and a saw horse. Also quieter, environmentally sounder and very good for arm and shoulder muscles.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What diameter is it? If you don't like using a chainsaw a 30 or 36" bowsaw is remarkably effective, though you do need a good blade and a saw horse. Also quieter, environmentally sounder and very good for arm and shoulder muscles.

Probably about 12" diameter. I don't mind using a chainsaw …… especially considering that alternative ^ 😉

tankslapper
    Free Member

Japas are great, screw splitters are not as scary as they seem.

Buy the saw horse as recommended and consider hiring a log splitter.

If you need more info http://www.arbtalk.co.uk forum is a great source of information. You may even be able to swing a deal with a local firewood processor giving him logs for the use of his equipment?

Kuco

why would you need a bigger saw?

sharkbait
    Free Member

why would you need a bigger saw?

My chainsaw is an ickle 12" job.

If you need more info http://www.arbtalk.co.uk forum

That's where I got the contact from actually 🙂 good forum and loads of info.

Kuco

So it will cut up to 24" then, what size bar are you limited to? a lot cheaper to but a new bar and chain than a new saw.

tankslapper
    Free Member

That's where I got the contact from actually good forum and loads of info.

Great – really good forum! I've learned a lot from them and I thought I know a lot about trees!!

I'm on that forum but mainly provide feedback on forestry management issues where I can – the firewood guys are pretty awesome

Saintly
    Free Member

What area do you work in Tankslapper?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Sharkbait

you probably want a 15" guide bar min and 45/50cc at least – Husqvarna/Jonsered/Stihl

Anything else is frankly pants

tankslapper
    Free Member

saintly

based in the Mid Wales Shrops Borders area

Saintly
    Free Member

Fair enough, I won't hijack this thread will drop you an email.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about getting a 'big' timber delivery’ is closed to new replies.