Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Think of an app…
  • Mackem

..any ideas for an app for mountain bikers?

Looking to start a project but short on ideas.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A 3D trail map with GPS over-lay tied Strava / Trail Forks would be cool.

Mackem

..real-time, with a predefined path or more of a planning tool. Or both or something else?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RUBBR

Shazam for bike tyres. Photo of the tyre, and it tells you what it is

#traxidermy  (old skool MBUK reference there!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One that photoshops your new bike into older pics for those with dysfunctional relationships

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well PDS have an app with their trail network map on it with real time GPS positioning so you mow your location and navigate to other trails etc – but if you could access something that looks like a Relive map, over laid with Strava sections to help you find and explore ‘natural’ / cheeky trails etc.

Klunk
    Free Member

Downhill Domination II

scaled
    Free Member

Accelerometer based app that overlays on a map to show the state of the surface.

Feed that into onroad/gravel/off road route planning

tthew

Alright, you can have this one. I have neither the skill, time to learn the skills or money to develop it.

Stravenduro.

Cumulative time leaderboards for a number of downhill Strava segments. Would probably work best at trail centers where riders are travelling round a well defined route in with easily grouped, well defined segments.

Stravenduro. You heard it here first.

Garry_Lager

Strava overlay on an OS map is the acme of civilisation.

May not be much of an app-writing challenge, though, and more of an OS license / access challenge – Veloviewer had one but it stopped working.

DickBarton

Stravenduro? Sounds like Mates Race…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but if you could access something that looks like a Relive map, over laid with Strava sections to help you find and explore ‘natural’ / cheeky trails etc.

Trailforks then

mark90
    Free Member

Another vote for Strava segments shown on an OS map, ideally with option to download areas for offline use. Can do this with heat map already on Locus or Orux maps (and possibly others)*. Something that would do that same for segments and the option to also overlay heat map would be just the thing for finding trails.

Trailforks is lacking content for many (almost all) areas.

* it is possible to layer Strava segments on too but it’s a right faff, have to export each segment as a gpx and then load into the app as a track.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I hesitate to suggest this, because I hate the thought of it but … imagine an app where you point the camera at a jump and it tells you the speed you need to hit it to make the landing. Would be quite an interesting project from a physics point of view.

Ugh, now I feel dirty.

DickBarton

It would also need to see the landing…

thepurist

RateMyWheelie – strap your phone to the bike and it shows how boom gnarly your wheelie was. Limited appeal for must of us on here though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trailforks is lacking content for many (almost all) areas.

It’s user generated, if something is missing then add it. The beauty if having one uploaded trail is that it’s a bit more definitive than the 30 strava segments

zilog6128

now that Garmin lets you access smartphone data through Connect IQ apps it opens up a whole world of usefulness… Garmin app that alerts you when there’s a village pub within a few miles for emergency rehydration?!

Bonus points if it can download a photo of their guest beers list from twitter/instagram, use heuristics to interpret the hand drawn scrawl, cross reference with currently trending data from RateBeer or UnTappd and automatically ignore if they don’t have the latest DIPA from Cloudwater or an Imperial Stout from Mikkeller.

kayla1
    Free Member

Downhill Domination II

Close the thread, we’re done here.

mark90
    Free Member

if something is missing then add it.

Fair point.

Cheezpleez

Tap in your favoured geo, frame material, spec, budget, colour, etc and the app tells you what to buy. Bingo – STW is redundant.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Get this forum in a nicely formatted app like Tapatalk.

Aren’t you the guy who wrote “HereIAm”? If so, you could just fix that instead 😉

damascus
    Free Member

Take a photo of the landscape. Then click on a bit you want to ride to. The app tells you how far away it is, how much climb and descend and how to get there and how long it will take.

There’s probably a military app already in use that they use to bomb people with but this is the civilian use for it.

leffeboy

Group rides app that’s as simple as possible. Everyone just says they are on ride ”name” and  the apps goes bing when the ride splits apart too much.  Useful when you get a lot of new people coming through a club with mixed abilities and knowledge and you have the young guns racing off the front

DickBarton

Change the ride order…young guns mid pack or at rear by a few minutes…

DickBarton

How about a trail inspection app…maps your route – if it deviates from a Base route then it asks if you want the Base route updated with the additional route detail; it records which bit of the route you covered (and has a history of when it was covered); ability to upload photos of trail features, sections, signage (and label) to a record is maintained of any issues or work required – with ability to label.

Also have the ability to flag issues so they are instantly alerted (would maybe need contact details of people so if something was flagged the notification would go immediately).

I’ve got a Google Maps thing but it takes an age to update and doesn’t flag anything automatically.

Would also need to be able to store all routes and previous inspections and photos/notes, so they could be reviewed.

Mackem

Is HereIAm broken? Do people still use it? Every other fitness tracker and mapping tool seem to have tracking features so assumed it was a bit redundant. Maybe I’ll update it.

Actually it’s exactly 3 years since it was released.

docgeoffyjones

An app to help you give your bike its own name?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A decent ghost rider. The Garmin one is crap.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

A bike sizing app that inputs a few human dimensions/proportions and outputs what reach and stack etc would be appropriate.

DickBarton

I have HereIAm…used it a few times and thought it was great…then the worry from others stopped as they realised I was just very slow. Not used it for a while, but it is good.

Euro
    Free Member

SoooooStoked

Measure and compare your stokage with other dudes

Funva

Like Strava but measures the amount of fun you are having (SoooooStoked rebranded for non-dudes)

BigBalls

Measure and compare your airtime over jumps and drops with others

Mincemeat

Compares penis size with other bimblers

RightBike

Measures your speed, acceleration, braking, airtime, smiles per hour and tells you if you’re overbiked or under bikes. Sponsored by Santa Cruz

Decide4Me

For those who can’t make up their own mind about simple things. User inputs the options and one is randomly picked

spooky_b329

I like leffeboys… Alerts everyone when the group gets split, SOS for a crash or mechanical, an aid for when slower riders take a shortcut to meet up after the optional hill.

It could also allow riders to share pics and comments after.

Could also allow riders to enter a selfie, next of kin, age, bike description, any medical stuff like diabetic, so ride leader knows who to ring if they end up injured

antimony
    Free Member

I want an app (mainly for road riding) which can overlay my finished ride with Rightmove so I can see the houses for sale that I’ve been past.

maccruiskeen

Sandr

like Grindr but smoother.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d like a social media type app that lets you enter information about yourself, and then displays to other users when and where you’re riding. For example:

Hi, my name’s Carl!
    I ride a Santa Cruz Bronson
    I drive a VW Transporter
    My favourite bands are The Foo Fighters
    I own a trail dog called Everlong
    My friends would describe me as excitable, outgoing, bubbly.

And then it’d tell me where Carl and others like him are riding on a Sunday so I’d know to stay at home instead.

kayla1
    Free Member

^ 😆

tthew

Do Euro’s Mincemeat one, that’s ace. 👍

markgraylish
    Free Member

<quote>Is HereIAm broken? Do people still use it?</quote>

I’ve tried to use it occasionally when road riding with my girlfriend (she’s a lot slower than me, so usually starts her rides earlier then I, and I then try to catch her up) but never received the text alerts…

DickBarton

Text alerts work for me…you have got it set to send at the right time I.e. Entering a designated zone or leaving a zone…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Think of an app…’ is closed to new replies.