Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Think I might need a full suss bike
  • Raincheck
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting my first full suss bike. I’ve had dodgy knees for many years, and in the last three or four years have suffered from planter fasciitis (heel pain). Previously a cortizone injection has helped, but the last one I had made no difference to the pain at all. Anyway a couple of days ago when I was on my bike, I had to walk up some steps when I felt a tearing feeling at the front of my heel. The pain was so bad I could not walk. Fortunately cycling wasn’t too bad, so I carried on my usual route. Everything seemed fine, until I rode over some roots, the jolt from them caused much pain and swearing.

Since I can see this being a (very) long term thing, I was thinking that this might be the time for a full susser. As I normally do a 20-25 mile XC loop that is untechnical until I get to around Deepcut area, I was thinking of a Santa Cruz Superlight, as I like the thought of there being very little to go wrong / wear out. I know the spec isn’t great, but I do wonder if I’ll notice any better.

I noticed that the manufactures website and a review in MBUK a couple of months ago gave very different geometries. I want something slacker than my Rock Lobster 853.

Looking in the region of £1500 – £2000. Any thoughts or suggestions?

sambob
    Free Member

Giant anthem gets superb reviews, as do canyon bikes. Have a look around.

flatfish
    Free Member

I had plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago and have now gone from a bouncer to a hardtail.
    You need to see a podiatrist and have some treatment and some insoles for your shoes made up. Moving your cleats back a tad wouldn’t hurt either.
    Cortizone doesn’t treat the problem just masks it for a short time.

ampthill

I’m on fs partly to reduce arch pain, which I think it does. But mine has never been agony (or had the same cause as yours). I think fooot waer is kep, so yes get footbeds, I believe a solid heal cup also helps (it prevent your foot rolling in flattening your instep)

Don’t know about the superlight

Bregante

Does your Rock Lobster have a decent spec? It may be much more economical to swap the parts over to a frame only?

Raincheck
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

flatfish- I ride with flat pedals. I appreciate that the cortizone only masks the problem, but plantar fasciitus often sorts itself out. I thought it had, as the pain didn’t come back for over six months after the first injection. I found that by wearing MBTs or running shoes with a highish arch during the day it was OK.

My Rock Lobster spec isn’t bad, but the forks are only 100mm travel (although I can only ever get 90mm). I think I need / want 120mm.

I found that my foot didn’t hurt while riding until I hit something like a large tree roots. On the smooth stuff it was fine.

Bregante

120 mm bikes around the 2k mark that I would try

Ghost AMR 5700
    Cannondale RZ120
    Specialized Camber Elite

flatfish
    Free Member

I had PF for 6 months before I got it treated, without recurrence (sp).
    So I’d suggest if you’ve had it for 3-4 years, it ain’t sorting itself out, unless treated.
    You’ll prolly find it helps your knees out too.

Raincheck
    Free Member

I had a quick carpark blast on the Ghost the other week. Seemed OK, but hard to tell on such a sort go. Must admit I liked its low stand over height as I take 29in trousers.
    How come Evans cycles (which seem to be becoming cyclings version of Starbucks here in the south) don’t do proper test rides?

Although the Canyon bikes look good, I would prefer to buy from a LBS.

Bregante

Not much good to you in the south but one planet adventure at llandegla have a ghost demo

Raincheck
    Free Member

Ages ago I had insoles made for normal everyday shoes. I found they worked well, and were stable in the shoes, but when the shoes wore out, the insoles never stayed in place in any other pair of shoes so I gave up on that idea. Then I found that MBTs gave the best compromise. So I stuck with them.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had that, and it did go away quite quick for me. Just in case you wanted to hear a positive experience to cheer you up.

I like the look of that Ghost too btw.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Raincheck – Member
    …in the last three or four years have suffered from planter fasciitis … I felt a tearing feeling at the front of my heel. The pain was so bad I could not walk…the jolt…caused much pain and swearing…

…Any thoughts or suggestions?

you’ve got bigger problems than you can fix with a bouncy bike.

sorry.

Raincheck
    Free Member

I think you’re right, but it makes me feel better being optimistic. Being delusional has its plus side.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Re Ghosts – ride them before you buy one. It really didn’t suit me for lots of (surprising) reasons.

Evans don’t do demo bikes because they know how to run a business! We run tons of demo bikes and it costs us a fortune – they often come back wrecked and even when folk have loved the bike they will read forums and magazines and decide it’s rubbish after all based on a stranger’s opinion!

justridemtb
    Free Member

I have a felt virtue 3 frame and forks for sale if you’re interested

cheez0
    Free Member

+1 for cannondale rz120

I just got one recently, can’t fault it, apart from the stock wheels just being a little too light for my fat-ass needs.

However, I’ve swapped the wheels over,set the air suspension up and bobs your mums brother!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Merlin have been doing some great deals on Turner Fluxes and 5-spots, so have a look at those.

The flux is more XC but the 2009/2010 5-spot is also suitable.

The rear suspension uses bushes and is pretty rock solid and won’t need much maintenance.

I rode a superlight on test and the geometry is good but the suspension will need lots of fiddling with pro-pedal as it was very lossy compared to the Turner and Giants I tried at the same time. The pedalling performance of the Giant (Trance X) and Turner 5-spot I tried at the same time was much better, but the turner suspension was much better than the giant.

br
    Free Member

Anthem 29er?

Raincheck
    Free Member

Thanks again for more suggestions.

I’ll give Merlin a look to see what they’ve got.
    Flying fox, what were your concerns with the Ghost?

An Anthem 29er, with my little legs?. I was thinking about a normal Anthem, but they look a little to steep to me. I should consider the Trance X though.

It’s a shame about the lossy nature of the Superlight though, I’m also a bit suprised as its an XC bike. The Specialized Camber does look like a good compromise. Plus it has the benefit of not being a boutique brand. I don’t want to give the impression that I know what I’m doing, when I obviously don’t.

Seems like I should start demo-ing as soon as my foot is better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Think I might need a full suss bike’ is closed to new replies.