Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Things you’re no longer allowed to like in mountain biking
  • Bruce

The strange thing is in the 90s we were riding the same bridleways on rigid 26 inch bikes and we didn’t die. We also went places on our bikes and camped, we just didn’t know we should wait for bike packing to be invented.
    Cycling should be about fun ride what you want where you want, life to short to worry about trends

montylikesbeer

Post ride Beer or Coffee

Riding with dayglo or camo

Flats or SPD’s

………………………………………………..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m calling Dead Cat.
    What are you trying to divert us from discussing? The lack of a LIKE button again?

🙂

antigee

Type 2 fun
    We no longer prize anything involving any level of discomfort or element of suffering. It’s about the easy.

and I thought that was just me getting old and lazy?….on the other hand look at what people at the top of sport are achieving and the dedication, juggling jobs/sponsors, injury/pain and sacrifices that it takes to get to levels way beyond previous generations albeit travelling business class and staying in boutique condominiums

fruitbat

Rigid seatposts.

kjlmtber

Reading maps or waiting for the designated navigator to unfold the paper OS map in the wind as you wait in anticipation for further instructions. Satnav all the way now – just grab a route that someone else has done and follow it blindly until you get to the bit that’s closed and then panic! I do love a map though. Yes I have heard of bike park and do indulge.

BadlyWiredDog

You’re not allowed to ride all-day trail routes any more, the cool kids simply session the same – usually illegal – downward pointing track over and over again until it’s worn through to the molten core of the earth. Then they dig another one and start again.

sonic_groove
    Free Member

Yeah right Glad I still think the total opposite of the “Fashion Police”

Just Ride

+1 to what Bruce/BadlyWiredDog & others have said above

B

comet

Skinny tyres that work in mud.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

if it doesn’t involve gap jumps or riding down tracks you literally couldn’t walk down then it seems that it just aint cool anymore.

Ah, I too miss the days when a simple mistake didn’t involve air ambulances, trashing four grand bikes and annoyinjg smarmy people doing the same tracks on a rigid gravel bike properly.

cookeaa

I feel like we should probably talk about the number of grumpy, entrenched old gits involved in MTBing.

They’re an intrinsic part of MTBing culture now IMO, without complaining old bastards putting potential new participants off it just wouldn’t be the same 😉

Someone needs to tell you if you’ve got too many or too few chainrings or the wrong size wheels…

Sports/pastimes/hobbies can only thrive if miserable sods do the hard work of keeping a lid on the fun, and picking holes in any new ideas.
    Thus was it ever…

crazy-legs

Sports/pastimes/hobbies can only thrive if miserable sods do the hard work of keeping a lid on the fun, and picking holes in any new ideas.
    Thus was it ever…

Yep – MTBing now is where roadie-world was back in the 90’s / 00’s.
    In Roadie-World, all the folk who had to get through the 60’s – 80’s with downtube shifters, tubular tyres, crappy brakes, 2 x 5 or 6sp, carrying headset spanners on every ride and navigating by unfolding a big paper map got proper grumpy at newfangled indexed gearing, brakes that worked, decent lightweight kit, carbon fibre etc so they felt compelled to begin every sentence with “in my day…” and turn into miserable sods.

Then they wondered why no-one joined roadie clubs and it was mostly cos they were grumpy old gits slagging off all the new stuff and trying to insist that winter club runs were still done on 68″ fixed gear bikes. Also, everyone was off MTBing.

Now, in MTB-World, the people that were bouncing around the trails on crappy suspension, canti-brakes and 3 x 8sp gearing in the 90’s / 00’s are bitter that all the newcomers have e-bikes and 1 x 12 and suspension that doesn’t behave like a nodding donkey so they too have turned into miserable old sods. Also, they spent thousands on stuff in its introductory days and are bitter that the “revolutionary” new thingy lasted all of 2 years before becoming obsolete.

😉

oldfart

Ooof! I can’t decide whether I’m on trend or an embarrassment? I have a 29er Ti HT so those are the right size wheels but it’s from 2012 so has short chainstays and a 68° HA 😳
    My Steel HT is from 2016 but is a 650B ! 😳and it’s not LLS I also have a couple 26ers but am redeeming myself because I’ve got an Orbea H15 on the way so that trump’s the previous failures doesn’t it ? 🤔😁

Woo

You can’t be serious! I wouldn’t recognise a roosting berm if you buried me under it. Just go ride whatever you have to hand.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think what a lot of people are moaning about is diversification. Mtb on bridleways still exists but trail centers and non row trails in the wood have become more prevalent and the majority for many. The bridleway bashing still exists and what people are moaning about is really that it’s no longer the norm or majority of riding.

I will agree on the bike packing that it is nothing new.

I like the direction and more bikes of modern mtb. Still enjoy a bridleway but love the technical challenges of bike parks.

BadlyWiredDog

The bridleway bashing still exists and what people are moaning about is really that it’s no longer the norm or majority of riding.

Isn’t the whole point of this thread to allow people to gripe in a light-hearted fashion without someone popping up to accuse them of ‘moaning’ – or is that not allowed any more? 😉

dander

40psi. Front and rear.

tjagain

I have been mtbing since the 90s. Its ( IMO) always been fashion led and still is today and that includes the grumpy old farts referred to above.

fortunately I don’t give a hoot about the fashion so I get what works for me. the fashionistas make sure of a plentiful supply of last years parts that are hardly used at much cheapness

mattsccm
    Free Member

A sense of humour!
    The ability to avoid (lack of) skill compensators.
    Both sadly missing and the former here.

fazzini

Plenty of those around here. Oh, wait, that wasn’t an autocorrect?

Respect

funkmasterp

Id say plus is pretty bad. We experimented with it but at around £20 a ride given how long a plus tyre lasted we gave up pretty fast. The adage “strong light cheap”, pick two, is “strong, light, cheap, pick one” in Plus tyre land.

Plus tyres are ace. Early ones were absolutely shite but they’re great now. Running 2.6 on a HT front and rear and a Stooge with ridiculous sized tyres prior to that. Anything smaller just looks ill now.

I still carry a backpack on longer rides and would never wear a bum bag because I may be in my forties but I still have a sense of self worth.

Short chain stays and not all the reach is also good. Some of us like to chuck our bikes about a bit and not just blast down everything.

EhWhoMe

i like plus tyres, and short stays aswell…..its odd because 29ers and long stays im told are faster and yet on our group ride on sunday 2 out of 8 were on 27.5 plus and where faster up down and along than all the 29er riders were up down and along, and is the same week after week so have i proved 27.5 is the fasterest after all…. trail rides normally 30-40 miles 4000 – 6000 ft of climbing as a rule in the yorkshie dales, lakes, north pennines, north york moors, northumberland, if that makes any differance

but am i allowed to enjoy that is the big question

garethjw

29 inch wheels look funny. As do 26.

northernsoul

Mudguards, particularly rear ones. Not so vital in summer, but wouldn’t be without one in the winter.

avdave2

I thought I’d give my old 26″ Boardman hardtail a ride today. Probably at leas 8 years since I last rode it. Felt really odd to start with but I loved it, so light and quick compared to my rigid 27.5 plus bike. It was set up as 1×9 and lowest gear was a bit too high so this evening it’s gone back to 3×9. Just need to pick up a new chain tomorrow

Bikes. They ruin the ride. The end.

ajt123
    Free Member

dander
    40psi. Front and rear.

Absolutely. If you need massively expensive and convoluted insert and tubless set-ups, what;s wrong with just upping the PSI a bit?

A lot of princess and the pea style behaviour.

I put more in my rear than my front on my hardtail and more front and back on my full sus. That’s about it.

LAT

Absolutely. If you need massively expensive and convoluted insert and tubless set-ups, what;s wrong with just upping the PSI a bit?

increasing the pressure doesn’t do the same thing as an insert. they both reduce the chance of wheel and tyre damage, but one does it at the expense of grip and comfort. and you can ride on a punctured tyre with an insert.

BruceWee

There’s a type of mentality about biking I try (and mostly fail) to cultivate.

I was in Åre a few years ago and was sharing one of the smaller gondolas with a young lad, probably about 12 years old.

I had just fitted a new tyre because I thought I had detected a slight rounding of some of the side nobs and I was worried that the tyre had lost a psi or two during my last run. I was also wondering if taking out the second compression damping circuit on my Domains was the right decision. Every so often I would give the brakes a squeeze and wonder if I should try to get the bite point closer to the bar.

Eventually I stopped looking at all the things that potentially weren’t perfect with my bike and had a look at this young lad’s bike. The centre of his tyres had no knobs. The side knobs were just about visible. A trickle of fluid ran down the side of the fork leg from the completely knackered seals. I resisted the temptation to try his brake levers but I suspect just finding the bite point would have been a best guess.

We get to the top and he barely lets the doors open before he’s on the pedals and powering off down the nearest black run.

This kid obviously liked riding his bike and didn’t like obsessing about his bike.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there as I wait for my new wide rims and CushCore inserts to arrive.

thelooseone

Singlespeeds

zx970
    Free Member

To be fair, if you’re over 6′ tall then short chainstays really do suck, they position the saddle much too far forward. I still don’t understand why frame manufacturers insist on fitting the same length chainstays on every frame in their range from XS to XXL (assuming of course that they even deign to produce such a wide range of frame sizes).

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Fatbikes. the one bike I regret selling was my Salsa Mukluk. So much so I am considering another.

pnik

No progress without change and some progress turns out not to be. Having though 29 and 1x wouldn’t catch on I wouldn’t be without either now. And yes I rode things 30 yEars ago on a rigid 26er with a triple chainset. I had mechanicals almost every ride and I was younger and more resilient.

b230ftw
    Free Member

To be brutally honest I’ve moved over to gravel riding more and I have barely ridden my MTB.
    Gravel enables me to go a bit further and see some lovely countryside, and do a bit off-road (I rode in the 80s so full rigid is no issue!) if I want to.
    I never really liked MTB on my own as it was always about having fun with other people out on bikes, as it was when I first started on my Emmelle bike when I was 12 – canti brakes and a 21” frame for a 5’6” lad. But it was fun trying stuff with friends and getting out in the countryside and just having a laugh.

I haven’t seen that side of it in a long time. It’s always about going further, or faster, or more exotic places, the latest kit, etc etc. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of the simple joy of just being out on a bike for 10 miles or something. It’s not looked down on as such it just (for me at least) seems to be missing and no longer valued.

The only time I really enjoy off-road riding is with people new to the sport especially the younger people, or even any wine getting out on a bike for the first time as an adult. There’s a joy in helping people enjoy riding and sharing their happiness really really floats my boat.

So if anyone in West Yorks feels the same way and is an overweight slowcoach who just want to have a laugh and enjoy the outdoors let me know!

I’ve ridden MTB now for pretty much 35 years now all over the UK up some of the biggest stuff and in the USA too but I’ve considered jacking it all in cos it just isn’t the same as it used to be.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Eventually I stopped looking at all the things that potentially weren’t perfect with my bike and had a look at this young lad’s bike. The centre of his tyres had no knobs. The side knobs were just about visible. A trickle of fluid ran down the side of the fork leg from the completely knackered seals. I resisted the temptation to try his brake levers but I suspect just finding the bite point would have been a best guess.

Love this!

I used to ride BMX street a lot and our group had twin lads in it that came from the poor area of town – they had bikes which were a complete joke and even back then I simply couldn’t ride their bikes as they were so knackered – we aren’t just talking head set a bit loose, they simply didn’t have bearings in them. It was rare when they had chains working or any tread on tyres and their cranks were always badly bent as were their bars and posts and wheels.
    But oh my word their riding was off the charts. Mid nineties (and they were 16/17yo) they were doing big stair gaps, 360 barspin bunny hops off ledges, big jumps everywhere etc. If they had been given sponsorship they would have gone to the top but BMX was at a serious low point back then and Yootube wasn’t a thing to promote them.

susepic

tried to sort out a flat the other day with

Convoluted and over-optimistic CO2 ‘solutions’ only.

and ended up snapping the valve stem, borking my over-optimistic CO2 pump thing by getting the broken vave stem stuck in it, adding to global warming by venting a whole canister of CO2 directly into the atmosphere. Fortunately my riding partner had a mini pump that allowed me to inflate the old and now patched tube and continue on my way.
    Looking for a decent mini-pump for the road bike now

BruceWee

Speaking of patching tubes, shouldn’t those self-adhesive patches be on the list?

I found they worked when I first got them but last few times there’s only a 50/50 chance of them actually fixing the leak. Maybe they’ve got a shelf life.

However, I found they make excellent frame protectors. They can also be used to fix holes in saddles. So I’m back to liking them again.

But oh my word their riding was off the charts. Mid nineties (and they were 16/17yo) they were doing big stair gaps, 360 barspin bunny hops off ledges, big jumps everywhere etc. If they had been given sponsorship they would have gone to the top but BMX was at a serious low point back then and Yootube wasn’t a thing to promote them.

I think when you start taking your gear too seriously it’s always worth remembering that there are certain riders out there who could pull a BSO out of a skip and put your riding to shame 🙂

scotroutes

Where is GW?

matt_outandabout

I still don’t understand why frame manufacturers insist on fitting the same length chainstays on every frame in their range from XS to XXL

See also head tubes.
    So many with same length HT…

ragsdog1
    Free Member

hay i stll ride 26 i am happy with what i have,

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.