Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • Things you just don't get.
  • keithr
    Free Member

You dont have to like them you just have to not say things like that.

You’ve got that point entirely arse over tit, haven’t you?

You declared that because some of us don’t agree with your assessment of the importance of the Beatles, we’re not qualified to have an opinion – remember?

TBH anyone who does not get the Beatles [ influence] is not worth listening to on music as they clearly dont get the subject matter.

Well I’ve probably forgotten more about music than you’ll ever know – and I still find little about the Beatles to be impressed by.

And yes, DezB, that includes the likes of Sergeant Pepper’s… which was a predictable, of-its-time, “let’s see what happens if we play back the same tune twice at the same time while pressing on the flange of one tape reel…” example of fannying about in the studio.

Being able to write a catchy pop tune is not the culmination of human artistic and creative endeavour.

graemecsl
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member
    The thing that irks me about the Beatles is that they appear to get credit for an entire decade (and more) of music. There were other bands from the same period that were as good as and in some cases much better than the Beatles. Units sold does not equate to greatness, it’s just a sign of popularity and making your music accessible to the widest possible audience. It’s not the way all artists choose to do it though.

If you were ‘there’ they were indeed a bit of a girlie group and blokes needed to be ‘cool’ and like other edgy bands, The Stones, Cream, The Who, Jimmy Hendrix they all had followings, but the truth is as musicians which all these guys were, they all had mutual respect. The Beatles were pretty much gone by the seventies when things really got into gear, but their work with lots of other musicians (George Harrison and Ravi Shankar springs immediately to mind) their production and studio work with George Martin, just laid the ground for everything to come. Brian Wilson Pet Sounds would never have come to pass without the Beatles, they just spurred everyone else on to greater effort.
    It was such an amazing period to live through and just a reminder something you youngsters tend to forget, my Original Copy of Sgt Pepper (I’ve still got it) is MONO, stereo only really arrived in 67-68 I’ll never forget the moment I first heard the different sounds coming from separate speakers…

graemecsl
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    Some of us know quite a lot about music, and still consider the Beatles to have been purveyors of throw-away pop
    yet here we are 50 years after they split still discussing the throw away pop* with the musically informed

The thing is, it’s easy to use terms like ‘throw away pop’ now fifty years on, but at the time we were a naive and largely unsophisticated audience, I had no idea why for instance Norwegian wood should be especially good, but those lyrics, at that time… Sorry, not throw away at all. True when I look back it was all in black and white, colour didn’t come until Sgt Pepper, but by then they had already been so prolific and cheered up very austere times and set the bar way above chuck away pop.

DezB
    Free Member

Sergeant Pepper’s… which was a predictable, of-its-time,

Well, I was 3 years old, so can’t comment on that with the same authority, but that goes against everything I’ve ever read about it.

Honestly though, I really don’t give a toss what other people don’t get (or “like” as this thread seems to have evolved into)

graemecsl
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Sergeant Pepper’s… which was a predictable, of-its-time,

Well, I was 3 years old, so can’t comment on that with the same authority, but that goes against everything I’ve ever read about it.

Well I was nineteen and can tell you, predictable was the last thing you could have said, I’d honestly like whoever said that to give an example of some other 1967 album that in any way was similar.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

(The Beatles) a bit of a girlie group

See also Hitler and The NSDAP – ‘a bit of a Nationalist group’

😉

chakaping
    Free Member

The Beatles- ground breaking and changed music
    The Rolling Stones- nice white middle class lads doing black music

True to an extent, but the Stones wrote much better tunes.

tjagain

I don’t get why folk on here insist on using expensive bike branded products – chain lube, fork oil, brake fluid when generic equivalents that are much cheaper work as well

graemecsl
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    The Beatles- ground breaking and changed music
    The Rolling Stones- nice white middle class lads doing black music
    True to an extent, but the Stones wrote much better tunes.

Maybe a bit later but they initially broke with covers and remember the Beatles pre dated the stones by a couple of years and in the sixties a year was a long time. The Beatles were playing Hamburg before the Stones were even formed. Love me Do hit the charts in 62, the year the Stones got together.
    After the initial success of “Beatlemania” in 1963 record companies began clamouring for Groups and it became easier for all those that followed to get a deal. So, love em or hate them or as most of us did enjoy them as background music, don’t deny what they did for others, they were key.

funkmasterp

Didn’t the Beatles just copy the Monkees though?

*Runs and hides

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’ve got that point entirely arse over tit, haven’t you?

No read NW posts you dont have to personally dig them you do have to understand their influence and reach and not consider them to be a throwaway pop band – especially when being discussed 5 years later as this certainly negates the throwaway bit.

Well I’ve probably forgotten more about music than you’ll ever know

If you are going to make grandiose appeals to your own authority dont include ANY doubt …facepalm

Being able to write a catchy pop tune is not the culmination of human artistic and creative endeavour.

thinking this is what they did is not the culmination of understanding of popular music its just a failure to grasp /undertsand

Again you dont have to like them you just have to accept what they did and not say things like that.
    RACIST they were not better than the black folks

funkmasterp

Sorry that this has gone way OT – The Beatles were very influential, that’s a given, but they weren’t the only band from that time to be influential. Just one of many who (in my eyes) get all of the credit. They should maybe get 60% at best.

They were likely influenced by their peers as much as they influenced them. This combined with their initial mass appeal will have given them the power, money and time to arse about in the studio to a greater degree. I still don’t like them that much though and don’t rate any of their albums or solo stuff, singles is a different story though 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Things you just don't get.’ is closed to new replies.