Things you have learned from STW forum.

• This topic has 141 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by  DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Things you have learned from STW forum.
  • Houns

lunge
    I was involved in the great Stourbridge bike shop debate of 2010

I can’t remember that one… Raceco pants, TwoWheels good?

Premier Icon roger_mellie
    Subscriber

Loads.

Kit recommendations; places to ride when moving to a new area; route ideas generally; how to fix random stuff. The one that sticks in my mind is how to stop a Garmin 705 from turning itself off mid-ride – and I didn’t even ask the original question (thanks trail-rat).

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garmin-edge-705-keeps-turning-itself-off-help/

In fact I think there’s loads that I read that other people have asked that I file away ‘just in case’.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I can’t remember that one… Raceco pants, TwoWheels good?

@houns, that was basically the conclusion, though both had/have their loyal followers. A new account, rumoured to be Paul Tett waded in at one point.
    You can add Bache Brothers into the mix now too.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Asking on here for medical advice is better than seeking help but if you do see someone and they get it wrong it’s my fault.

For every year round all-round performing front and back tyre recommendation there is a counter argument – each and every tyre post never reaches a consensus but still we ask!

Premier Icon pocpoc
    Subscriber

If you see a thread for the first time and there’s more than two pages it’s normally because two people are having an argument and refuse to back down. The argument will also have nothing to do with the original post or question.

Ro5ey

I’ve learnt never to drink in a flat roofed pub.

(Although somehow deep down I think I kinda already knew it)

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I’ve learned that starting a bike frame company up is much harder than selling some t-shirts to fanboys on insta..

wordnumb

That there are no standards anymore.

CountZero

That Melinda messenger isn’t the best thing about Swindon.

Really? Now I’m at a complete loss; I live fifteen miles from Swindon, and there isn’t anything about Swindon that I can think of that’s appealing, other than Ms Messenger!

tjagain

In all seriousness I have learnt a lot from here. From technical stuff to peoples attitudes I never knew existed or had never come into contact with to practical advice

I also love the fact that there is a diversity of views on here and believe it or not some debates on here have brought me to different positions and I have had some great advice ( and some bizzare advice – hammering frozen sausages into my enemies lawns? )

I have ridden all over the UK with people I have met on here, some great ideas for routes

I have also been involved with one of the funniest and in some ways gratifying things I have ever done – the Gnusmobile.

So for all that – thanks. ( even to the folk I argue with)

CountZero

wazzing on the ceiling

Lionel Ritchie’s less successful follow up single.

midnight glory

The difficult third Oasis album

I have learned that’s there’s one man on here who’s funnier than any so-called TV comic entertainment.
    I’ve also discovered that a random driver who’s car I was doing the appraisal on can ask, apropos of nothing, “are you Count Zero?”
    A Mr Turner of Leeds, if I recall correctly, last week. I was very surprised indeed!
    But it was a pleasure. 😁

Premier Icon rogerturner
    Subscriber

As Count Zero and I discussed on Friday afternoon, we’ve both found what a really wide-ranging community this is. It was really good to put a face to a username!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I learned that Joe Cocker died.

I’m just glad Roger Moore is still with us.

Not to get my brother in law to help if I need to lease a car.

brownsauce

That there is a fair number of members whom happily turn up daily for the political arguments but appear to not give a jot about cycling , or much else for that matter that I can discern…….

😉

hodgynd

Even when you know you are right ..someone will tell you you’re wrong ..( a thick skin and a sense of humour are definitely needed )😁😎

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Don’t ask where to purchase a hard wearing pair of jeans unless you want two pages of vague abuse interspersed with some actual suggestions.

And Uniqlo never have stock. But really…

Don’t ask where to purchase a hard wearing pair of jeans anything unless you want two pages of vague abuse interspersed with some actual suggestions.

natrix

isn’t anything about Swindon that I can think of that’s appealing

Chr1st-on-a-bike!!! Haven’t you been to the trails round the back of Nationwide!!! They’re magic

🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️ 🧙‍♂️

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Chr1st-on-a-bike!!! Haven’t you been to the trails round the back of Nationwide!!! They’re magic

Oh come on, the first rule of trails-behind-nationwide club is you don’t talk about it. Hell it’s even the second rule just to make it extra obvious.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

There is a little arrow on almost all fuel gauges which indicates which side of the car the filler cap is on.
    To be fair, this one blew my mind. Quite literally

What??! It’s true!. Every day is school day. From this thread alone, nevermind stw generally.

That, bombers and how to remove wasps nests from lofts with a cushion.

pedlad

That people whave the skills to build amazing quality bike lights in their garage and sell them to you (Troutie RIP). Some great advice on bike maintenance interspersed with useful knowledge, wide ranging opinions and comedy flounces.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

There is a little arrow on almost all fuel gauges

This knowledge almost caused a fail when taking my son’s Picanto in for petrol.. “which side is the cap?” neither of us knew – I remember the STW knowledge! I look… no arrow 🙁 There’s a pump icon, so I go with that side.. it’s the wrong side… luckily the hose reached 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.