• This topic has 141 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Things you have learned from STW forum.
  • Cougar

By following the standard pattern of tactile paving slabs, obviously.

For controlled crossings the control box is always to the right of the stem of the L shaped tactile paving ( because guide dogs always work to the persons left)

I just learned that. ^^

Mugboo

Never to comment on an STW thread, d’oh!

crazyjenkins01

That there is no such thing as boredom with access to the STW forum!

…and someone popped up, “well, I’m a balloon pilot and…” It struck me…

I read that and knew what was about to follow!

funkmasterp

Don’t ask where to purchase a hard wearing pair of jeans unless you want two pages of vague abuse interspersed with some actual suggestions.

DezB
    Free Member

there’s no question that someone on here can’t answer

and that someone is perchypanther.

perchypanther
    Free Member

and that someone is perchypanther.

I’m a balloon pilot too don’tcha know

toofarwest

What a DE razor was (and how popular they are)
    Aeropress is a great way to make office coffee

And never, ever underestimate the power of human kindness.

nickewen
    Free Member

Loads of valuable stuff when renovating our house. Everything from tiling to kitchen fitting. Amazing place.

Oh, and Bombers.. not so much something I’ve learned but something I can never get rid of.. I have had a set of Bombers off a Kona Pahoehoe that I am incapable of getting rid of.. They have sat in my garage for over 10 years just in case I need to own someone with them.

Houns

Never drink a cappuccino unless you want to wake up in the back of a van with a sore bottom

Never buy from Superstar

That dicking about on the internet can lead to some awesome friends

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I learned how to fit a wood burning stove from the experts.

BadlyWiredDog

That many STWers have an almost superhuman ability when it comes to driving, In particular, they can use summer tyres in deep winter conditions and drive at the same speeds as they would normally – presumably because their normal driving speeds are incredibly low, but that’s just a rationalisation.

I learned some other stuff too, but mostly the above.

tomparkin

Some bits and bobs about bikes. Apparently there are some cyclists on here along with all the balloon pilots and racing drivers.

But really, the best thing I learnt is this one amazing trick that a normal bloke figured out: when getting up for a widdle in the middle of the night, you can sit on the toilet (yes, like a lady!) and thereby empty your bladder without needing to turn on the lights and fully wake up.

Life changing stuff right there.

Rich_s

How to shave my bollocks.

footflaps

That many STWers have an almost superhuman ability when it comes to driving,

We are all driving Gods. Although Smurfmat was even betterer…

gnusmas

I have learnt many things, practically and stupidly. I have laughed and I have cried. I have made new friends through STW, some actually exist as I have met them in person too!

But nothing compares to the compassion and generosity of you all. I have learnt that being part of this community is amazing. All of you selfless, caring, crazy, argumentative people need a big thankyou gnusmas hug. Or not, whatever suits.

I’ve mainly learned that STW iz awsum!

matt_outandabout

Mainly I should ride my bike more.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve had a tantalising glimpse into the unimaginably glamorous, high-octane life of jet-setting opulence that is the lot of the international paper-clip salesman

Wuvs U 2, binbins! Xxx

Marin
    Free Member

Never ask about vans you’ll end up with a caravan.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve learned that you soon find out who you’d like to have a drink with.

And sometimes you find that someone you didn’t fancy a drink with is actually ok, or even one of the nicest people ever.

But there’s always people you’ll NEVER want to have a drink with.

shooterman

That there are many theories on the correct way to remove a pedal.

amodicumofgnar

There’s a higher chance of getting some form of civil informed debate compared to facebook groups.

avdave2

If you want the answer to a question you will find it here but it might help if you ask a different question to the one you actually want an answer to.

BearBack
    Free Member

650b really brings the trails alive..

jonba
    Free Member

Why brexit is a good idea 😉

tjagain

For me? Loads of stuff about bikes that I neither knew or cared about!

I love the way that with this being such a wide based forum its very rare that you do not get an answer on here. for example I have had guidance on where to go trekking in Italy and had a great holiday as a result

But by far and away the most valuable thing to me is the diversity of views so in moral questions and political ones you get a range of views. thats the bit I value most

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yesterday I learned that Binners is, quite literally, Boris Johnson.

tjagain

I thought his name was Bil ( two “Ls” are only for officers)

taxi25
    Free Member

That many STWers have an almost superhuman ability when it comes to driving,

All brought about by the absolute necessity to fit winter tyres to drive about the home counties in sub 10c temperatures.

kayak23

the best thing I learnt is this one amazing trick that a normal bloke figured out: when getting up for a widdle in the middle of the night, you can sit on the toilet (yes, like a lady!) and thereby empty your bladder without needing to turn on the lights and fully wake up.

Well, unless you’ve got midnight glory of course. Then you either end up snapping it in two or wazzing on the ceiling 😂

perchypanther
    Free Member

wazzing on the ceiling

Lionel Ritchie’s less successful follow up single.

midnight glory

The  difficult third Oasis album

footflaps

All brought about by the absolute necessity to fit winter tyres to drive about the home counties in sub 10c temperatures.

Only for newbies, the real STW driving Gods are quite happy doing 120mph in a 30mph zone on track day slicks, in the middle of winter in an A4 with two bikes on the roof as their superior drivings skills are more than adequate.

ads678

there’s no question that someone on here can’t answer

I still have an unaswerd question, about bikes as well….

Microshift road shifter dropping too many gears? Help.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Contrary to a popular internet phrase some posts can be meaningful without pictures. And certainly less nausea inducing.

lunge

Loads, genuinely loads.
    I’ve discovered places to holiday from here and ate in great restaurants.
    I’ve learned how to fix my bike and which tools to buy.
    I was involved in the great Stourbridge bike shop debate of 2010
    And I’ve had support when my wife went through some of the darkest moments of her life.

It’s a genuinely wonderful place and whilst I may not agree with you all, I really do value your thoughts.

karn
    Free Member

Never date/marry a girl called Louise (or Helen)

zippykona

That someone could email me the service manual for my chocolate fridge.

Something that no amount of googling could find.

That is why I will subscribe forever.

ads678

I learned that Joe Cocker died.

ton

But there’s always people you’ll NEVER want to have a drink with.

you ****…………. ;o)

DezB
    Free Member

chocolate fridge

I’ve heard of a chocolate tea pot.. but, a chocolate fridge??

johnx2
    Free Member

I learned that Joe Cocker died.

What!?? Nooooooo….

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Things you have learned from STW forum.’ is closed to new replies.