Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Things you don't like about biking…
  • stonster
    Free Member

Ok, so we all know that biking is the best way to get around. But it does have some downsides. Today, I realised that there is no way to cycle around at night commuting without looking like an idiot. Hi viz and helmets just make you look stupid….

So what do you hate about cycling?

rickmeister

At the moment, as a committed spd rider of many years…… flat pedals. I have never ridden so badly…. or slowly….. or jumped so pathetically.

crikey
    Free Member

Knee pads.
    Helmets.
    Full Suspension.
    Baggy shorts.
    Biiiiig Camelbaks.
    GPS navigation.

All of it, basically. It seems to be turning into a fashion rather than an activity, a leisure pursuit for the chattering classes rather than a sport.

As you were….

ton

not being able to.

tazzymtb

the people

big_scot_nanny

for reasons a bit different to ton’s (our third family addition arrived 9 weeks ago), but the same outcome. Simply not doing enough is the most frustrating thing.

Kev

yunki
    Free Member

riding
    bikes
    other cyclists
    going outside
    stw

dan1980
    Free Member

not being able to.

This +1

I’m only 30ish and my body is giving up on me.

That and people who are bothered about how they look, or how others look when they’re riding. Get a grip, riding a bike is supposed to be fun, and who cares if the bloke/lass in front/behind looks like a lycra condom or a stormtrooper. Life’s to short to get het up about it.

allyharp

Maintenance.

khani
    Free Member

Too many Rules ……… And people judging each other, see the Stormtrooper thread
    Tons plight puts it into perspective though, that is the worst bit really

HermanShake
    Free Member

Keeping up with the Jones’s.
    Articles like “what will you be riding next year?”
    Macho ego/snobbery.
    Not having the time to do more of it.
    The expense.
    Punctures (not been a while, which makes me feel it’s due).
    The conning of those new to the sport; Halfrauds etc.
    Animal faeces.

Dancake
    Free Member

Bike envy

cos it makes no difference what you ride, it’s how you ride it

…and yet I still WANT x, y z and it annoys the **** out of me

mactheknife

Having to clean the bike every bloody time i take it out at this time of year 👿

But i thank my lucky stars im in the position to be able to after a honking year of injuries 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

STW lol

Pieface

The mindless fashions
    Expensive maintenance

tang
    Free Member

Winter, injuries, feckling, upgraditus.

flatfish
    Free Member

Marketing guff like,

“Aggressive XC”

“All Mountain”

etc.

I suppose there’s a mug round every corner.

Most of the riders/twunt’s at trail centre’s.

Big group’s of slow riders that set off on a long downhill section, (just when you arrive at the top of the hill, when your not wanting to stop) and mince all the way down. Boils my piss that does. 👿

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The impact it has on my credit card.

grantway
    Free Member

Hurts when you fall off

GJP
    Free Member

Punctures – they always ruin a ride for me.

I never really feel 100% confident after changing a tube at the road side / trail especially when there seems to be no underlying cause.

Less so on the road as normally much easier to find the cause, and CO2 pumps get the tyre to a reasonable PSI.

I found tubeless a pain. Fine until you get a puncture but I never got the kit to work.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Getting a new part that’s been planned for ages and it doesn’t **** fit.

Who’d have thought after countless times of measuring my seatpost is 30.0 so doesn’t fit my lovely new Reverb which is a standard 30.9. Didn’t even realise anything comes in 30.0 any more FFS.

Also, it’s an addiction. I don’t like how I get when I’ve not been out enough (like now for some strange reason since I have plenty of time) turns me into a right grumpy git.

iDave
    Free Member

crikey – why are you remotely bothered by what other people use/buy/ride/do?

can’t say my enjoyment of cycling has ever been affected by someone else having knee pads, or a GPS?

do what you want to do. let others do the same. does it really bother you that much?

Neil-F
    Free Member

Snobbery.
    Idiot Motorists.
    Dogshit.
    Potholes.
    Faceplants.
    😀

vancoughcough
    Free Member

The fact that all pedestrians hate you and think that you are about to rape them… the fact that drivers use their cars to bully you by revving and trying to overtake you when totally inappropriate.. the fact that the whole world is concreted and geared toward the machine (the car) that changed (ruined) the world….

crikey
    Free Member

Not really, I just like to think I’m making a contribution to the place.

🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

Trail sanitisation

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Like when you have your high power light on, and suddenly pedestrians think they should stare into your oncoming light, in a way they obviously wouldn’t with a car light, and then have the audacity to complain your light is too bright…

Or the **** in front who automatically assume you want to pass them, when you are quite happy to pootle and trundle at 3 or 4mph…

The mums and das that scoop up their shit looking children when a bicyle appear for fear that you might end their shit sperm ande egg creations..

Rorschach
    Free Member

other people doing ‘MY’ hobby.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

As for mountain biking.. it a dream for most of us isn’t it? Unless you live in Wales, Cumbria, parts of Scotland, or Yorkshire.. mountain biking in da UK is **** shit for most…

SaxonRider

When my glasses fog up, and I can hardly see the road in front of me. Then, when I try to peer over my foggy glasses, having the night scene turn into something akin to a Monet painting.

trailmonkey

not biking

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The (marketing) idea that mountain biking is an extreme sport.

dingabell
    Free Member

Old blokes who’re so damn fit, you spend 75% of your ride 20 yards behind them trying not to cough up a lung catching them up. You know who you are!

wrecker
    Free Member

Just jumped up **** with a preconception of what mountain biking “should” be, how we should dress, what we should ride, what we should carry etc. They are the ones holding mtbing back and the quicker they’re gone, the better IMO. Apologies for the rant.

crikey
    Free Member

Early to bed for you grumpy pants! 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

Driving to rides.
    Riding from my house.

Crag
    Free Member

Getting back to the pub carpark after a wet muddy night ride, soaked to the skin and shivering like a shiteing dog and loading the car and getting changed into dry gear only to have to unload the wet muddy bike and gear once you get home after having got warm in the boozer after a couple of scoops. No fun at half 11.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nothing. Really, there is nothing I dislike. I’m just not getting enough of it.

OK there is one thing: wasting hard earned altitude on boring descents.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Cleaning the bike..

wrecker
    Free Member

Actually, you’re not wrong Crikey. I’m shattered after a weekend riding with a full camel bak. The knee pads can’t have helped either. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Things you don't like about biking…’ is closed to new replies.