Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Things to do in York?
  • Premier Icon lunar
    Free Member

Partner has an interview in York during first week of December. Its a remote working position so we won’t be moving, hence having done no research on York. Thinking of making a long weekend of it. Any thoughts on what there is to do during the day on a December weekend.
    The more off-beat the better though some main stream venue ideas also welcome. We both enjoy wandering around new cities so if there are any quirks or certain areas worth seeing please let me know. Thanks.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Walking along the walls is an obvious suggestion but I will make it anyway. Boat trips are nice. You could do a ghost walk too. Visit Evil Eye for one of their espresso martinis. I am not that keen on any of the museums apart from the fantastic Railway museum which is a must do if you are in any way interested in cars n truck n things that go.

Premier Icon Cougar

I’m not sure exactly when they open it, but there will be the Christmas market at some point if there isn’t already.

Premier Icon globalti
    Free Member

The Chocolate Story is actually rather good. The audio-visual presentation at the beginning explains the involvement of the Quakers in chocolate manufacture very well. After that you get to make some chocolates – we made some with a passion fruit ganache that I couldn’t stop eating!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

@cougar It’s on already – not sure how long its on for but I do know the regular market stall holders have taken their collective bat n ball home over it 🙂

Ohh, and you MUST walk down the Shambles. Beautiful (and inspired some Harry Potter sets apparently).

Premier Icon strangey13
    Free Member

Christmas markets have already started and get mega busy at a weekend. Walls is a walk if the weather is ok, if you can find a online guide for the snickets and ginnels their worth a walk round too. Never far from a pub either!

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is the snooker “UK Championship,” held around that time, held in York? Or is it another championship they host?

Premier Icon stumpyjon

Walk the streets, look up. The Shambles is worth a stroll along even if the bottom end has turned into Diagon Alley with all the Harry Potter shops. Jorvik museum is ok, tea and cake in Bettys is a good call, or high tea upstairs in Bettys if you can afford it and want to eat like an upper class person from the 50s (need to book).

It’s a good place to walk around, the centre is quite compact.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

York Dungeon?

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

House of a Trembling Madness?

And Betty’s.

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

Lendal Cellars.

It used to amuse me from midday until very late.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Lendal Cellars

Great place. Smells of piss but a great place.

Betty’s is over-priced rubbish IMO – I hate the place with a passion.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Lendal and evil eye are a good place for a drink.

The York dungeon is fun too.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Train museum. Obvs!

Castle Museum was good too when we went a Christmas a few years back.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes

Nobody mentioned the Minster yet, stunning. If you do want out of the city centre there’s the Nuclear Bunker and a pretty good aircraft museum too.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.worldsnooker.com/tickets/betway-uk-championship-2019/

26th Nov to 8th Dec in York.

Although I’m sure there are plenty of other things to do and see. 😉

Premier Icon chrisyork
    Free Member

Here you go, i work just outside of York. On Piccadilly which is one of the main street in York is something called Thors Tipi…..it’s a Tipi which has a roaring fire in it and a bar, loved the mulled ciders in there! There will also be lots of Christmas stalls and Food stalls too by then

Premier Icon SaxonRider

Meet up with the duke?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.