Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Things to do in wales to fill a week (family / non-bike / bike)
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Sorry this is a bit open-ended…

I have the bank holiday week off work and nothing to fill it with. Weather looks like it might be good so the missus and I are thinking about doing a camping tour of wales with our 2 boys (4 and 7) Probably looking to move between 3/4 bases over the course of the week.

My only experience of wales is MTB based really, around the Snowdonia area (the mountains, close by trail centres like CYB, pen mach etc) and also trail centres in the south – afan / cwymcarn.

So, what have I been missing out on? Been doing some internet trawling and pembrokshire coast + brecon beacons look worth a visit – any specific recommendations for family-type things to do (beaches, walks etc) in these areas?

Any other stuff outside of beacons / pembrokeshire that should go high on the list?

Also any camp site recommendations would be good too (prefer wild feeling sites with minimal facilities and not regimented caravan affairs)

Thanks!

P.s. I might be able to accidentally sneak the bike in – other than the trail centres I mentioned above, are there any other trail centres worth spendng a morning visiting while I am around and about? WOuld love to ride natural too, but time to plan may be tight, unless someone can recommend a specific route?

sleepless
    Free Member

the hydro powerstation tour is good in Snowdonia, as is the train up the mountain. port madock is wort a trip and the steam train. failing that sing, the Welsh will always join in.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Red Kite feeding centre in Llandeusant. Lovely drive to get there and then a wonderful experience.

Carreg Cennen castle.

scotroutes

CAT near Machynlleth

wrightyson
    Free Member

A huge +1 for carreg cennen castle. Great walks in and around down by the stream, stunning stunning scenery and make sure the kids take their torches, all will be revealed when you get there….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The beach at Barmouth is lovely, especially when hardly anyone there!

nuke

Greenwood forest park…us and the kids really enjoyed it

chvck
    Free Member

Along those lines nant-y-arian has loads of red kites and they also do feeding show things. You could certainly fit in an “accidental” bike ride there!

Nipper99
    Free Member

the show caves at Dan-yr-Ogof in the Beacons.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire Coast and coastal paths are lovely but possibly not worth extra drive for a short stay with the family. Gower (Rhoshilli and Oxwich beaches) would be better IMO and much close to Brecons.

cloudnine
    Free Member

As chvck says.. time it right and your family can eat at the cafe, play in the playground, walk round the lake and watch the red kites feeding whilst you blast round the pendarn/summit trail.

timidwheeler

Big pit. We stumbled on it by accident, but it was really good and it’s free!

therag
    Free Member

S.wales. Big pit, good half day out & worth a visit. Free entry.
    Monkey sanctuary. Fab half day, about £7 entry per vehicle.

W.Wales Oakwood park. Brilliant/expensive day out. £65 family.
    Too many castles to chose from, every few miles in Pembrokeshire.
    Folly farm great day out.
    Heatherton, haven’t been yet.
    So many nice beaches around Pembrokeshire, boat trip from Tenby to the monks island that I can’t think of its name.

I’ve stayed on a campsite near Carew, Pembrokeshire. They’re only allowed 5 caravans plus a few tents. Their facilities 1 toilet, 1 hand basin, elec hook up and that’s it, but the views are amazing and we always end up going back and have regularly been the only ones there apart from the cows & pigs. It’s on deer park lane.

highclimber
    Free Member

Anglesey

colournoise

+1 for Anglesey. If you’re vaguely interested in this stuff you can do a nice day driving round the island visiting all the prehistoric sites (whole range of bronze and iron age tombs, monuments and settlements to explore).

el_boufador

Great – thanks for the suggestions all!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Portmeirion, Harlech and Aberdyfi (amazing beach)

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of steam railways in North Wales if they like that sort of thing?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in wales to fill a week (family / non-bike / bike)’ is closed to new replies.