• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Things to do in Norwich…?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I’ll be there with the wife mainly watching my daughter play netball in the U16 national championships this weekend. No doubt we’ll be at a loose end for a few hours between games and on Saturday night. We’re based at the UEA campus. Apart from hitting the Union bar what else is there to do? Any recommendations of where to eat near the Uni – decent pub standard will do.
    Where’s my bet bet for bumping into Alan Partidge? I want him to sign my audiobook. 😉

PS. I presume its not worth taking the bike, too flat to be interesting?

slowjo
    Free Member

Not sure if it is open at weekends but the Sainsbury Centre on the UEA Campus is a really nice little museum plus they have an Anime and Manga exhibition at the moment. It is FOC. They also have a lot of art nouveau stuff that is quite exceptional.

If cultural improvement isn’t your thing, do a search for the Norwich Arts Centre they usually have bands on, plus there is the Waterfront for gigs as well. Apart from that, I don’t know Norwich at all….I avoid it as the boss likes shopping and thinks Norwich is a great place to shop.

binners

Go out on the lash with Delia

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8JLkwzpd0[/video]

😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    headfirst
    Free Member

Well that was a particularly excellent reply slowjo, cheers for that.

Nice one binners. Where is Delia’s pie shop located in Norwich???

flange
    Free Member

Norwich city centre is pretty good for shopping and places to eat.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you like looking at buildings then there is plenty to gaze at – Elm Hill and the area around the cathedral in particular (and inside the cathedral itself). The castle is very nice to look at, but the museum inside is poor.

Have a scone in Jarrods (dept store).

Worryingly for someone who grew up in Norwich, i can’t think of anything else to do.

re. cycling, when i was a kid i used to do this: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2657003 – nothing spectacular but it kept me entertained before i moved to a place with hills.

alexpalacefan

Nickers Off Ready When I Come Home ?

APF

Solo
    Free Member

CaptJon.

You grew up in Norwich !.

I lived there until recently, since 84.
    😀

OP.
    Daytime, get to the city centre, lots of coffee shops and shopping and any number of choices for food.

Again, for eve entertainment, there is a wide choice.
    Hit St. Benedicts Street for some restaurants.
    Also pop into the plough for some liquid refreshment.

If you’re an ale type, get to the Fat Cat or Brewery tap.

If you want an Indian meal, the Spice lounge outside the maids head hotel is worth a visit, but can get busy.

On the odd weekend, you’ll still find me, cycling book in hand, enjoying a coffee or two in Marzano’s cafe in the Forum, next to city hall.

Enjoy, and good luck to your daughter and her team.
    🙂

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Sadly, Delia doesn’t have a pie shop (although the match day pies at the football are supposed to be to her recipies!). She does however have a restaurant at the football ground, if that’s your thing.

You’re a little bit out of the city centre, at the UEA campus and there’s nothing of note locally, that isn’t on campus. There are regular buses from the UEA into the city centre though. There’s plenty of the usual chain pubs and restaurants in the city centre. The nicer, more interesting pubs tend to be a little bit out of the main city centre. Try the Unthank Road area (I think the bus from the UEA actually stops there) or maybe St Benedicts Street. If you want a pub that does good pub food and good ale, then try the Coach and Horses, on Thorpe Road (about 5 minutes walk from the train station, which you may be able to get to on a bus from the UEA).
    As already mentioned, if architecture’s your thing, check out the castle and the Cathedral and surrounding area. The city centre is very good for shopping, with two good sized shopping malls; the Castle Mall and the newer/bigger Chapelfied shopping centre.

badnewz
    Free Member

The Golden Triangle area is between UEA and the city centre. Daytime, city centre is good for shopping, but for eating and drinking, I would echo some of the above – restaurants on St Benedicts, and the Fat Cat for a great real ale pub, which I used to live next to many years ago.

rwc03
    Free Member

The castle is very nice to look at, but the museum inside is poor.

Woah! Did you not see the 3000+ teapots they have on display?!

As above Fat Cat is a must if you into real ale or world beer. Avoid Prince of Wales Street but the rest of Norwich city centre is very nice.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Norwich Entertainment:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpfwfG8rq4[/video]

maccruiskeen

If cultural improvement isn’t your thing, do a search for the Norwich Arts Centre

I’ve sure they’ll really appreciate that recommendation 😆

Solo
    Free Member

Horatio.

Happy with yourself for that ?.

That chap is mentally impaired.

So, go ahead, laugh your nuts off.

While we all look at the type of monster you are.

allthegear
    Free Member

Frank’s Bar for a late breakfast is good, maybe even really good. I may even be in there recovering myself…

Rachel

headfirst
    Free Member

Wow, loads of good ideas. It’s all going off in Norfolk!

That sainsbury’s art centre is open on weekends, and following your posts I now have the confidence to venture into the town centre!

Enjoy, and good luck to your daughter and her team.

Thank you very much, I’ll pass it on.

Don’t think I’ll bother with the bike, probably pushing my luck with her indoors.

Solo
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ll bother with the bike, probably pushing my luck with her indoors.

If you get to the Fat Cat during shop opening hours.
    You can get a bike fix by popping into Street Life, which is across the road and have a look at whats on offer.
    😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    CaptJon.

You grew up in Norwich !.

I lived there until recently, since 84.

Where abouts? I was golden triangle 82-91 (gloucester st, off unthank rd), then cringleford until i got out of dodge and went to uni.

anagallis_arvensis

Is the waffle house still there?
    The Raindeer was a great pub when i lived there but I believe it got bought by a chain. Fat cat was good too used to live very close to it.

slowjo
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

If cultural improvement isn’t your thing, do a search for the Norwich Arts Centre

I’ve sure they’ll really appreciate that recommendation

Oops! Not quite what I meant 😳

headfirst
    Free Member

Wasn’t expecting a resurrection of this thread! Anyway, we had a lovely time at the UEA and never actually ventured off-campus all the time we were there! Really impressed by the Sportspark and it’s excellent cafe and the University overall. Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations anyway!

My daughter’s team came 7th out of the 18 teams from across the country that took part which they are more than happy with – the aim was a top 10 finish.

sparkyrhino

Ride on tractors or go visit your cousins( wink wink nudge nudge)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Fantastic Belgian bar that I vaguely recall from my only visit to Norwich on a stag do. Then spearmint rhino 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Peppermint park upstairs on a wednesday, indie rock and snake bite and black a pound a pint…. Those were the days!!!

Solo
    Free Member

Where abouts? I was golden triangle 82-91 (gloucester st, off unthank rd), then cringleford until i got out of dodge and went to uni.

CaptJon.

I moved to Norwich and lived just off North Park Avenue.
    Moved around the city during my time there and attended City College.
    Finally departed Norwich from somewhere near Barrack Street.
    😯
    Flat sale is going through now.

Peppermint park upstairs on a wednesday, indie rock and snake bite and black a pound a pint…. Those were the days!!!
    Goodness me 😯
    You were there too !.
    😯

EDIT:
    OP, glad you had a good weekend.
    The City centre can be a very pleasant place to visit though, so don’t discount it in future.
    Congrats to your Daughter and her team.
    All is well that ends well.
    🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Norwich…?’ is closed to new replies.