Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Things to do in Montenegro
  • pondo

Hello friends – you may remember I recently picked your brains about Corsica, but the eyebrow-raising price of hire cars has caused a rethink! So, does anyone have any experience, tips or hints about good things to do in Montenegro? We’re toying with splitting the break between the mountains and the coast. TIA! 🙂

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Expect to pay little extra taxes on everything. It’s annoying but just how it works if you’re a tourist.
    You could hop over the border into Bosnia and raft the Tara canyon. Did that a few years ago. Amazing.

Nick

I’ve been a couple of times, it’s alright for a bit of a chill out if you avoid Budva (unless you want to party) I’d recommend somewhere on the coast north of Budva, near to Tivat. Swim in the sea, hire a boat to go to the blue caves, eat sea food, that sort of thing.

Kotor is worth a visit, it is slowly losing its charm to the cruise ships but it’s arguably more interesting than Dubrovnik, do the climb up to the citadel early in the morning for clear views and to avoid the heat (assuming you are going in the summer, it gets hot), has a bit of a cat problem.

Lovcen on top of the black mountain and Cetinje are a nice day out, and so is Skadar Lake if you like wildlife, birds etc, but the drive from Rijeka Crnojevića to the Lake visitor centre was pretty hairy, glad we were on the right and the drop was on the left.

Friends of ours have a nice place in Bigova, we’re working on getting the train from Belgrade to Bar in the summer, supposed to be one of the greatest train routes in the world.

ab1970
    Free Member

The coast can get very busy. Although there are less West Europeans, there are a lot of Serb and Russian tourists. The coast around Kotor is pretty cool. The Durmitor national park has some pretty good walks. We were not able to book rafting in the Tara canyon while we were there – you probably want to book this before leaving UK. Canyoning in Nevidio canyon looked cool also. Ostrog monastery is one of the big tourist spots inland, but I wouldn’t bother unless you are a monastery fan.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Lake Skadar is nice, and you can hire kayaks to mooch around it.

+1 the roads aren’t the safest in the world. Okay in a hire car but I’d think twice about cycling, particularly the coast road.

Kotor bay is okay but cruise ships aren’t very cool, as Nick said.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Had a week mountain biking there in 2014, beautiful place, didn’t see anything very gnar but loads of old skool xc rough tracks for miles up the mountains then down again. We had a guide which definitely helps, not sure how you’d get on trying to find stuff on your own, I don’t think thre was very much local mountain biking going on, so Strava etc may not help much.

dirkpitt74

Well with the back seats down you could….

Sorry I read that as ‘Things to do in a Montego….”

Gribs

We’ve been a couple of times and stayed at Kamenari in Kotor Bay. Staying by the coast is fairly touristy and can be busy. Their holiday season starts at the beginning of July and the difference between then and just the last week of June is very noticeable. The police seem to be reasonably hot on speeding and there’s often a speed trap just after you cross the border from Croatia. They seem fairly common on the coast road but less so in the interior. The roads are quiet in the interior but the standard of driving isn’t great, and people will overtake on blind bends. Drink driving seems to be normal.

We’ve been rafting at the Tara Canyon. The first time it had enough water in to be interesting, the second was a gentle paddle down. We used https://www.raftingmontenegro.com/ both times. As with most things in Montenegro there’s always booze on offer so unless you have someone who’s happy being a designated driver I’d plan to stay the night afterwards.

pondo

Thanks all, lots of good stuff – and this… 🙂

Sorry I read that as ‘Things to do in a Montego….”

Only 34 left on the road, according to howmanyleft.co.uk. Now, where’s that classic car thread…? 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Montenegro’ is closed to new replies.