Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Things to do in Edinburgh
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

Ok so I’m off to Edinburgh for a long weekend, never been there before.

So apart from the castle and museum can any one suggest a few other things to do, places to eat and drink etc.

thanks for any suggestions

MrGrim

Some nice pubs/food on Rose Street

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What do you want to do? Try the open top bus tour – a bit of Geography and History in one go. Well worth it if you don’t know the place

There is no shortage of places to eat and drink – try Leith as well – 22 bus from town

Smee
    Free Member

Get on the no62 bus and have a trip round GT or Inners.

binners

Whatever you do, make sure you keep an eye open for the theiving, pick-pocketing ****ers, so you don’t spend your time there ringing the banks to cancel all your cards.

Bitter? Me?

Dougal
    Free Member

Meet Glutpon.

Smee
    Free Member

You could go and see Dougal’s new car. 😀

GrahamS

Have you been taken up the Castle yet? etc etc

Castle, then a meal at The Witchery and a Ghost Tour at night is good.

Plenty of galleries and museums to see if that is your thing.
    Palace of Holyroodhouse, Scottish Parliament.

Go climb Arthur’s Seat or Calton Hill for a view of the city.

Dougal
    Free Member

I moved out of Edinburgh a few months back, so that’s a no.

Garry_Lager

It’s a great city for tanning the bevvy. I’d go out on the ale for the weekend, maybe see the castle and Arthur’s seat from the pub window.

Glentress is 40 mins away by car, if you wanted to try and fit a ride in one of the mornings.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

There is a Zoo opposite the Forestry Commission.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Meal at the witchery? hell someone is flush!

Get yourself to one of the ghost tours, check out the chambers street museum, and there is a pretty good pub crawl round all the oldest pubs in town that is good craic. And go up arthurs seat. And go to teuchters in the west end and work your way through the single malt list.

And have a deep fried mars bar. You know you want it…

Avoid George street, everything is overpriced and populated almost exclusivly by ****ts and tarts!

BoardinBob

Another shout for avoiding George St unless you enjoy paying £5+ per drink.

rOcKeTdOg

meet up with an old flame and rekindle the fire 😉

GrahamS

Meal at the witchery? hell someone is flush!

It’s not that expensive (mains from £15) considering how nice it is. I wouldn’t eat there all the time, but I’m assuming he is on holiday or it is a special occasion.

Oh and if you do go up Arthur’s Seat then consider recovering with a pint in The Sheep’s Heid.

BoardinBob

meet up with an old flame and rekindle the fire

I thought the police had clamped down on prostitutes in Leith?

RudiBoy
    Free Member

thanks for the comments so far, the problem is I dont know what kind of things I want to do or see… I was mainly looking for insperation

any more comments welcome

Thanks

tall_martin

If you want to go clubbing or see some comedy or art, get yourself a copy of the list from a news agent. Its got all the information on loads of cultural stuff from whats on in the galleries to the clubs.

Stop into the city cafe for a beer:)

Martin

GrahamS

Oh and depending who you are with, a visit to the Pubic Triangle is an excellent way to spend an evening 😉

BoardinBob
    andym
    Free Member

so where are TJ and druidh?

Things to do:

-Traverse theatre – worth checking out, I’ve seen some brilliant stuff there.
    -Scottish National Gallery and Scottish National Portrait Gallery.
    -Dean Gallery and the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art – a wee bit of a hike but worth it.
    -Climb to the top of the building on Princess street that looks like a gothic version of Thunderbird 1 (you’ll recognise it when you see it).
    -Take a stroll along the Waters of Leith to Leith.

Places to eat – David Bann, and the Mosque Kitchen. Check out the restaurant reviews on http://www.list.co.uk

devs
    Free Member

Rose St – Get pished
    Grassmarket – Get pished
    Royal Mile – Get pished
    Wales v Scotland rugby is on on 8th Feb – Get pished

Apparently there are some nice buildings and cultural stuff, a zoo and an observatory or something. Dunno, i’ve always been pished but then I only ever go there for concerts and rugby. Oh, and a discipinary hearing with the SRU at Murrayfield.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Devs, Did you get pished after the hearing by any chance?

dave_aber
    Free Member

He was probably pished before it, never mind after it.

djglover
    Free Member

The Stand comedy club, walk up athurs seat, but mainly go out for beer and food

devs
    Free Member

Devs, Did you get pished after the hearing by any chance?

Nah. Picked the wife up who was spending my money in Ikea and drove home. It was a school night.

metalheart
    Free Member

to be honest (having lived there for a year a while back) the best thing I found about Edinburgh was that it was closer to Glasgow (than here that is).

sometimerider
    Free Member

This place is well worth a visit. The tour is a bit “ghosty” for my liking, but it’s such a fascinating place that it’s worth it anyway.

Also the Camera Obscura beside the castle is worth visiting if you’ve any interest in photography at all.

If you have your bike with you, the Pentlands (somebody on here had a nice google earth file with a bunch of routes) or Glentress.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

there are plenty of strip clubs if you like that sort of thing……..

lol

druidh
    Free Member

sometimerider – Member

This place is well worth a visit. The tour is a bit “ghosty” for my liking, but it’s such a fascinating place that it’s worth it anyway.

Also the Camera Obscura beside the castle is worth visiting if you’ve any interest in photography at all.

If you have your bike with you, the Pentlands (somebody on here had a nice google earth file with a bunch of routes) or Glentress.

* cough *

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.