Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Things to do – Barmouth/Arthog/Dolgellau
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not expecting Barmouth to be a glamorous location especially in Feb – other than CYB nearby what else is recommended in this area?

scruff
    Free Member

Ride from dogleg to Barmouth is nice but I heard the estuary bridge is off limits now.

TooTall
    Free Member

Go to the Centre for Alternative Technology near Machynlleth. It’s well worth a visit and the cafe there does great food.

It happens to be a couple of miles from the ClimachX trail.
    http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/climachx/

There’s a few trails out of Mach as well – details on that link.

eddie11
    Free Member

great chippies in barmouth.

nice hipster style cafe in Dolgellau with massive old original shop fittings and cabinets

big beaches, big scenery, sea air, penny arcades..

what you looking for?

franksinatra

A night out in the Sandancer will certainly be memorable…

rOcKeTdOg

Ride a fat bike on the beach & the dunes, eat chips on the prom

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Eat curry at the clipper at Barmouth. Its not good, but its an experience……….

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The Blue Lake Fairbourne, need the sun shining to get the best out of it though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

nice hipster style cafe in Dolgellau with massive old original shop fittings and cabinets

*choke*. T H Roberts went hipster???!! ffs is nothing sacred 😐

kjcc25
    Free Member

I’ll second the Blue Lake. Nice walk up through the old slate workings then great view over Fairbourne and the estuary to Barmouth. Then walk through the tunnel to the Blue Lake. As twinw4ll says best on a sunny day as slate can get slippery, good in an evening when you get the sunset. Ask a local for the way.

nedrapier

Ice cream in Aberdovey

If you fancy a 40 min drive, you’ve got huge zip line fun, underground slate mine multilevel disco trampolining and uplifted bike trails at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

There’s a slate mine somewhere near Machynlleth that does tours. Quite interesting, and it’ll be relatively warm and dry in Feb!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just make sure you put aside 5 hrs and start early when climbing Cader Idris. If for the first time I suggest the Pony Path. If you like photography also worth it to try and catch a good sunrise as Cregennan (spelling?) Lakes (take the small road up from Arthog). Dad and I discovered a weird little cave there which had old leather boots discarded inside The further back you went into the cave, the older the boots seemed to be!

Decent ruined castle at the back of Bird Rock off the Aberdovey road. (Castle y Bere?)

matt_outandabout

A night out in the Sandancer will certainly be memorable…

Did we meet there in 1993 when I was on my student placement at Arthog?

towzer

Portmeirion is worth a walk round

Drive to Harlech go up hill pass castle and find the one way to the left and drive slowly down it without braking

jkomo

We’ve had some great nights out in Dolgellau. We started drinking in the ship, feeling smug at how good and cheap the beer was, that was before we discovered the Star Inn. At this point we realised we had been drinking in the posh place.
    The Star is a proper locals pub, the cooking lager was £2 a pint, and the ale less than three. The duke box had all manner of obscure indie tunes (I found one of PJ Harvey’s) and had all the makings of a top night for a tenner. The locals were so friendly that we felt guilty that we had, on passing the pub on a previous night nick named it ‘The Stab Inn.’

franksinatra

Did we meet there in 1993 when I was on my student placement at Arthog?

We may have done but I was only 15 years old in 1993 so I would be careful about discussing this on a public forum

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Things to do – Barmouth/Arthog/Dolgellau’ is closed to new replies.