Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Things to do around Melbourne
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Plan to be there at the end of the month and apart from a couple of half day riding plans that I have set up with someone I know out there (Yangs etc) I’m looking for some recommendations for some good days out.

Will be based in St Kilda and have some places lined up (Philip Island, The Apostles and general Melbourne city stuff) but interested in any first hand recommendations for site seeing, general hiking and eating out, I will have a car and more than happy for a 2-3 hour drive to get to the good stuff.

Will be with the current MrsC so any out door activities cant be too extreme.

timba
    Free Member

Donington Park racing circuit, or get to East Mids Airport and fly to somewhere warmer HTH 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Prince of Wales is a great venue, well it was a long time ago.

konagirl
    Free Member

You won’t get to the 12 Apostles and back in a day without doing a tour, and its a bloody long day for a couple of photos. Ideally, the Great Ocean Road and Otway NP is done over 3 days.

A good day trip from St Kilda side is Healesville Sanctuary followed by wine tasting in the Yarra. But since you need a designated driver, again it’s better as an overnighter.

Other overnight options, as well as GOR are Halls Gap in the Grampians (lots of wildlife including emu, some short walks as well as long ones); or Wilson’s Prom which is good for beaches and wombats and expansive views.

A small number of penguins nest at St Kilda breakwater. If you have the patience and a red torch (e.g. bike light), you can wait from sunset for them. They usually come up about an hour after sunset. The St Phillips experience is much more organised but guaranteed.

Enjoy.

woody2000

If you’re there for Melbourne cup day (6th Nov) be prepared for a lot of drunk aussies!

MadBillMcMad

Personality I wouldn’t bother with Philip Island. It’s just a tourist coach mecha.

Do something different.

Good walking in the grampians.

My favourite would be camping on the Murray River. Perhaps near Bramah. The sounds of gazillion kookaburra singing at dawn is amazing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Brewary tour by bike on a quiet Sunday, its pan flat so easy riding and heaps of cycle paths

Brunch on brunswick

Apostles are a bloody long way away and it will be full of coaches pick s a stop halfway and enjoy some of the spectacular stuff on the way. A heli trip around the apostles is good as you see way more.

Wilsons prom. Is meant to be good walking.

For me though Melbourne is a hanging out city

stevego
    Free Member

I’m a melbournian (although in my defence did live 7 years in england). Feel free to contact me for more info.

Depends on what you want, lots of beaches, might be cool (by aus standards), but then again is shaping up to be a warm spring/hot summer. Phillip island can be nice for the fairy penguins, if you want a couple of nights out then Wilsons promentry national park or the grampians national park are great. Lots of good mountain biking close by, would happilygu ide you but in neck and back brace after my latest misadventure.

Yarra Walley wineries, lots of foodie places also.

Cheers

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers all, this should get me started, only there for 7 days (6 if you take away riding time) but plan to cram in as much as we can.

stumpy01

We did a mini-bus tour down to the 12 apostles when we were on holiday in Oz.
    It was a long day, but there were plenty of stops & really worth it, for the whole day out, not just the apostles themselves. We had a really nice guide though, so I think that helps because there was a really good mood in the mini-bus and everyone got on well.

As mentioned above – I would definitely fork out for the helicopter over the apostles. I was amazed how cheap it was when we went – something like the equivalent of £30; although that was in 2006!! How time flies!

Melbourne gaol was worth a visit, if you like that sort of thing.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

As said above Melbourne is good for just hanging out in, you can spend a day just wandering around the city centre exploring the back lanes etc. There’s a free tram that does a circuit you can hop on and off and explore as well.

Great place for coffee too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There’s a free tram that does a circuit you can hop on and off and explore as well.

The CBD is free these days

But if you are coming in from St Kilda then get a Myki tourist card from the airport as there is zero point in driving into the city unless you want to do 3/4 of a lap of the GP circuit

Some good Aussie/Melb pubs for dinner and a beer include the

Palace South Melbourne

Napier or Rainbow in Fitzroy

this is really useful

THE APP

as is this app for the trams and working out how to get places

https://yarratrams.com.au/tramtracker

Skybus now does airport to St Kilda from the airport so saves hassle with driving, if you have a car from teh airport they will suggest you add a toll pack on, think there is one from the city to St Kilda

For city life an optus Sim is great, if your going rural get a telstra one

antigee

been in Melbourne a few years and have regular visitors – a lot of above is all good advice but time is the limit  – as said for Great Ocean Road maybe stay overnight at Lorne or Apollo Bay and get there before the tourist buses – given time I’d go beyond to Bay of Islands / Timboon Distillery cafe – loop back north thru Otways and take the easy drive back along the freeway

Yarra valley wineries – worth getting a tour bus if don’t have a dedication to not drinking, if driving would recommend including going thru  Dandenong Ranges (Sassafras, Sky high view point, William Ricketts Sculpture Park) and/or Healesville Sanctuary – The Chandon is my preference with stunning terrace views

1,1/2 hours or so drive north to Hanging Rock – wildlife pleasant walk – foodies like the town nearby Daylesford which is different to the city

In Melbourne – Immigration Museum, NGV gallery just missed New York exhibition – if into design/fashion then big retro on check listings a lot of stuff on, River boat trip, walk along river to Botanic Gardens (lower cafe by lake best) check what shows are on Mama Mia the Musical was on earlier this month,

and if in St Kilda then walk west along front to Western Beach Bathers Pavilion for a good view of sunset from beachside bar

MadBillMcMad

Wilson’s prom. I can remember camping there and waking up and looking out the tent to see wombats so close I could almost reach out and cuddle them.

Great times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway enough of the plan b

Come to tassie its where the fun happens

dozofoz
    Free Member

Spent the first 23 yrs my life on Melbourne and yet I would pretty much say Mike Smith above gives the best advice.

Sorry Antigee – but Immigration museum.? Really? I heard this was in top 10 Melbourne activities. Went there 10yrs ago. Found it eye opening yet a touch depressing. Surely there are 10 better activities?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol. If you want the tassie list let me know, that above was one of the best cocktail makers and spirit appreciatiors (and former distiller at winner of best world whisky) in the state riding an awesome distiller at the best cider House in tassie.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Things to do around Melbourne’ is closed to new replies.