• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • things to do around Ft William / Glencoe / Skye
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

just about to head off for 10 days around ft william / glencoe / skye, and whilst i’ve planned the walks i want to do i appear to of neglected to scout out any sight seeing due to being nuts busy at work.

so, any recommendations for things to go and see / do on days when we’re not out in the hills?

mrsheen
    Free Member

Maybe the (steam) train between Ft William and Mallaig then a ferry trip to one of the islands.

jeffl

Steam train is quite expensive and I expect booked up well in advance. You can check online. Oban is a nice run. Gondola ride up Nevis Range is always good when the weather is nice, just for the view.

jeffl

Blair Drummond Safari park or Highland Wildlife park are good, but a bit of a run.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Work out where the setting is to capitalise the first word of each sentence automatically on your phone?

scotroutes

Arisaig / Morar for beaches, boat trips.

McCaigs tower in Oban, then Kilmartin Glen for historic sites.

Gondola.

Fort Augustus to stare at the folk staring at the boats, then the Suidhe viewpoint.

Coral beach on Skye.

konagirl
    Free Member

If you like wildlife, a big day out from Fort William would be to head to the Ardnamurchan lighthouse (dolphin / whale spotting) via the Garbh Eilean wildlife hide, Sanna Bay if you have time and then pop by Castle Tioran for the photo opp on the way back.

Mallaig and ferry to Knoydart for a few hours and Arisaig / Morar beaches.

A short wander up Neptune’s Staircase and wander along the canal, note the Lochy pub will reopen middle next week (covid positive case).

Gondola is good call. There are several shorter walks to waterfalls or to views around Glencoe / Ft William, see walkhighlands.

On Skye the Elgol boat trips are well regarded but you need to phone to book and be flexible.

Bunnyhop

Second the wildlife spotting boat trips off Skye. You’ll hopefully get to see a sea eagle or 2. You can often see otters. We hired a wildlife guide for the day (this will probably be possible in most of these places). Eider ducks are very amusing, but I’m not sure if they have gone way out to sea at this time of the year, the youngsters may still be around.

dovebiker

If you want to see some wildlife, then try and get as far west as possible – you’re far more likely to see something on Ardnamurchan and Moidart than you will driving up the A82. Arisaig is really suffering due to popularity – people literally $hitting on the beaches. The drive out to Ardnamurchan Point in good weather is glorious – just don’t try and do it in a hurry. Boat trips are great too – a fast RIB really covers the miles.

dyna-ti

Skye – What a nice island, such breathtaking beauty.

Fort William – A quaint little town, and what a spectacular mountain.

Glencoe – AGGGHHHH MIDGIES !!

DrJ

Fort William – buy gear you don’t really need while you shelter from the rain in Nevisports?

matt_outandabout

Blair Drummond Safari park

…is 2.5 hours away.

bruk

Quick trip up the Great Glen. Cruise on Loch Ness to marvel at how bloody deep it is and how steep it’s sides are.

Walk up Glen Nevis and swim in the river.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘things to do around Ft William / Glencoe / Skye’ is closed to new replies.