• This topic has 58 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by emsz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Things that you thought would never catch on, but did…
  • Hohum
    Free Member

I can remember about 25 years ago when mobile phones first started appearing on the scene and having a chat with my step-father and saying that they would never become popular because everyone had a phone at home and did not need to have a mobile…

How wrong I was!!!

sobriety
    Free Member

iPads, I described them as a solution looking for a problem…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

29ers. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Internet forums. 😕

camo16
    Free Member

Posts about clever logos.

😯

BigJohn

That rash…

iDave
    Free Member

not eating processed carbs

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Twitter
    Facebook
    JLS
    Skinny Jeans
    High protein lifestyles

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mountain biking, in a country without any proper mountains (no shut up cos they’re just big hills don’t try kidding yourself).

Camelbaks.

London Cycle Hire Scheme.

rkk01
    Free Member

Mountain biking… 😆

A few mates got mtbs in the mid-late 80s, but mainly rode them on the road (due to absence of much in the way of trail network – legal or otherwise).

Couldn’t see the point – paying more money for a Muddy Fox (or whatever…), heavy frame made of scaffold bars, inefficient upright riding position and horrible draggy tractor tyres…

… pahhh, mountain biking – that’ll never catch on 😳

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Text messages. Worked in a phone shop in the early days of mobile phones. When the ‘new’ digital handsets came in with “short message service” as a selling feature, couldn’t work out why anyone wouldn’t just phone instead. How wrong I was….

rkk01
    Free Member

oh, and diesel cars

morgs
    Free Member

iPhones

still don’t understand how they caught on now!

Cougar

So did I, and I stand by it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

JLS

Seriously? Are you ‘king crazy?! As soon as I saw little Aston’s face I knew big tings a gwaaan.

sobriety
    Free Member

So did I, and I stand by it.

A company I did some work for out in Sweden had used them to replace pen and paper as note taking devices in meetings. For people who don’t require a laptop for number crunching they’re perfect, small, fast and simple to use.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Snorting vodka.

cranberry
    Free Member

Tablet computers

( as other brands of solutions looking for problems are available 🙂 )

Facebook/Myspace/Tw*tter/blogs.

nbt

A company I did some work for out in Sweden had used them to replace pen and paper as note taking devices in meetings. For people who don’t require a laptop for number crunching they’re perfect, small, fast and simple to use

Pad & pen = £2.50 ish?
    IPAD = £500 (guessing here)

you;d have to be taking an AWFUL lot of notes and getting though serious amounts of ink and paper to justify an ipad as anything more than a toy in that situation

scaredypants

Seriously? Are you ‘king crazy?! As soon as I saw little Aston’s face I knew big tings a gwaaan

(further) off-topic
    Was in LA airport the other day, going through security when these 2 geezers, all tats, vest and backwards caps came down the posh people’s lane. We’d arrived at the desk at the same time and the 2 lads waved us (family of 4) through before them. The security guy was having none of it & told us to wait for the 1st class poshos to pass. Cap / tats geezer apologised & wandered through with his mate.

… Was only little Aston and one of his other chums ! 😯
    (apparently – HTF should I know ?. Wife wasn’t sure & kids didn’t dare ask them. Shame, no screaming crowds, I reckon it’d have been nice if they’d at least said hello to him 🙁 )

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I tend to agree with this still. However, you have to hand it to Apple that either they have had a genius idea (and execution) and saw what none of us could see or they got quite lucky and their “brand” saw people adopting it as a device without really thinking about what they were going to use it for vs how much they were paying.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pad & pen = £2.50 ish?

you;d have to be taking an AWFUL lot of notes and getting though serious amounts of ink and paper to justify an ipad as anything more than a toy in that situation

10 people, billing at ~£50/hour, one meetings already cost you £500. Minutes sent instantly after the meeting, not 2 weeks later when someone types up a half remembered version. We take our important notes on a laptop/PC as the chairman might be on £1000/day so you don’t want to have to run the meeting twice!

Can’t see the benifit over a £200 netbook though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thongs.
    Bit tight, bit cutting, bit itchy.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Blu-rays. I didn’t think they were different enough from DVDs.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I totally “get” iPads. Sure, they may not be as versatile as a good laptop, but if they do what you need them to do there is no nicer way to do it. I’d love one, but recognise it is a luxury. Oh, and to qualify, this is all in my humble opinion 🙂

Back to the OP, may I suggest Love Film? I’ve tried 3 times to make the most of this service, but find it inconvenient and expensive. The online on-demand service is the way to go if only they had some more recent titles.

llama

suspension on bikes

oh yes and ‘anyone’ being able to buy stuff on line (i.e. not just computer geeks like me)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Blu-rays. I didn’t think they were different enough from DVDs.

Good one. Blu Ray disks don’t offer enough over a DVD to get me excited, but Blu Ray players are infinitely more versatile than a DVD player. Best value gadget I’ve bought in years.

timc
    Free Member

nbt – Member

Pad & pen = £2.50 ish?

How short sighted…

Here is one small example for you, as soon a meeting is done, everyone in the company around the world can have the notes in their inbox.

Gods sake, do you still use an abacus in work 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

dubstep

Cougar

WRT the iPad,

I don’t disagree that it’s a shiny, desirable piece of kit, or that it’s very good at what it does, or that there are niche applications where it is the best tool for the job.

My point was solely in the spirit of the thread topic; to wit, I’m surprised that it’s as popular as it is amongst the great unwashed.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Rock n Roll.

jackthedog
    Free Member

iPad

Agree entirely on this. Made no sense to me. Stupid pointless big iPhones with no phone potential. Just couldn’t see the point.

Then I used one and instantly changed my stupid, closed mind. They’re brilliant.

Ewan
    Free Member

The point of an iPad is that you can use it to surf the net whilst watching telly. As far as I can make out anyway. I want one…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

The point of an iPad is that you can use it to surf the net whilst watching telly. As far as I can make out anyway. I want one…

?????

cant you do that on a laptop or have i missed something? (not meaning to sound sarcastic!)

staralfur
    Free Member

Alan Sugar once said that iPod’s would never catch on!

joao3v16
    Free Member

everyone had a phone at home and did not need to have a mobile

nobody ‘needs’ a mobile

donsimon
    Free Member

Beyond a roof over your head, food in your stomach and a fire on the go, nobody needs anything.

kudos100
    Free Member

dubstep

yep, still baffles me to this day…..

ilovemygears
    Free Member

10 people, billing at ~£50/hour, one meetings already cost you £500. Minutes sent instantly after the meeting, not 2 weeks later when someone types up a half remembered version. We take our important notes on a laptop/PC as the chairman might be on £1000/day so you don’t want to have to run the meeting twice!

no body needs that money why not make the world a better place by beating his brains out with the Ipad..

donsimon
    Free Member

no body needs that money why not make the world a better place by beating his brains out with the Ipad..

Sometimes brains can be a bit difficult to locate though, don’t you think?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Things that you thought would never catch on, but did…’ is closed to new replies.