Viewing 31 posts - 161 through 191 (of 191 total)
  • Things that people say are great, but actually aren’t………
  • ta11pau1

200ml per tyre? Ye gods. Nearly half a litre of sealant sloshing around!

I normally put 3-4oz (about 100ml) and 1 year later still had enough sealent in there to be able to seal a large thorn pucture. The sealant will coat the inside of the tyre, if there’s half a gallon sloshing around, there’s too much!

Tyres don’t drink the sealant! 😀

reinswood
    Free Member

Thinking about it,I would say on a bike related front pedal strike, and the mtb jornos telling us that ultra low bb is good,and criticising bikes that have higher ones (that are truth be told still to low).The obsession with gravity like we all live near a cable car, 1×12 who the **** needs 12 gears on a mountain bike? the back wheel needs to be kept nice and light people and finally the mainstream media who’s lies are getting worse by the day, o and opera,musicals theatre all politicians China North Korea I’ll stop now.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Uphill mountain biking.
    It’s always a bit too far, a bit too steep and you’re a little too tired to get over the big rock that’s just appeared

sargey

Wine
    Any sort of wine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sex

You ain’t doing it right.

Well, I’d agree with the poster.

Sex has always been a disappointment. In fact, it’s a bit boring and a bit yucky.

benv
    Free Member

Frosties. F you Tony, they’re not great.

jamesoz

Tablets and powders to go in your Camalbak or water bottle. Unnecessary, questionable taste and make the camalbak/bottle go manky much quicker. Some of my mates swear by them. I think they’re crap.

DezB
    Free Member

Sex has always been a disappointment. In fact, it’s a bit boring and a bit yucky

You have my sympathy.

UK-FLATLANDER

Personally I don’t mind old school trail centres, but hate the new ones. Huge berms and jumps but with a surface as smooth as a billiard table that you could ride with a road bike if it was strong enough. The whole emphasis is on how big your balls are and nothing else. BORING

mrconners
    Free Member

Gravel bikes. Shit 90s mountain bikes for bored roadies who watch far too much GCN.

duner
    Free Member

I love gravel bikes, fixie’s, 29ers, dropper posts and 1x.

Tubeless gets my vote. I’ve spent over a decade persevering with it, and there has been times it’s worked very well for long ish periods. But overall, the mess, the faf and the frustration when it doesn’t all go to plan outweighs all that. You need a special charger pump, special repair inserts that can cost as much as a tube each time (Stan’s darts), foam inserts to stop your rim dinging, and still there are issues.

anagallis_arvensis

Internal cabling, its just a pain in the bollocks.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Tubeless

Nah

Tubeless is the best bike related invention since suspension.

You dont need foam or plugs if you run the same pressures you did with tubes to avoid getting pinch flats. Then you have nothing but the advantages of less weight and zero punctures.

If you want more grip run less pressure but it’s not essential

DezB
    Free Member

Frosties

funkmasterp

Internal cabling, its just a pain in the bollocks.

I agree apart from dropper posts. Don’t know why, but I prefer internal for that one component.

kerley
    Free Member

You need a special charger pump, special repair inserts that can cost as much as a tube each time (Stan’s darts), foam inserts to stop your rim dinging, and still there are issues.

I haven’t got or used any of those items. Tubeless was brilliant on MTB. On road with higher pressures and a lot less air in the tyre to escape before any sealing occurred I found it a lot less brilliant. In fact I have gone back to tubes and heavy duty tyres as a way of decreasing amount of punctures.

chakaping
    Free Member

Frosties

Did you mean to post this on the “things that tigers say are great…” thread?

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree apart from dropper posts. Don’t know why, but I prefer internal for that one component.

Ditto, mainly because it’s the easiest one I suppose.

There’s a certain subset of riders who prefer internal cabling. I’d guess that they also tend to like coloured Hope bits and spend as much time cleaning and polishing their bikes as riding them.

DezB
    Free Member

Did you mean to post this on the “things that tigers say are great…” thread?

Ah, but you seee… Tigers can’t actually speak.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You need a special charger pump, special repair inserts that can cost as much as a tube each time (Stan’s darts), foam inserts to stop your rim dinging, and still there are issues.

I’ve None of that stuff either, been tubeless for about 10 years. Mibbe your just not very good at it? 😊

richmtb

I’d put tubeless in the same category as droppers. Once you use either you can’t really go back.

Tubes just seem like a pointless contrivance once you can consistently set up wheels tubeless (or just buy them set up)

The only bike I have that isn’t tubeless is my old commuter that I’m using on a trainer. The other day, I swapped to a skinnier slick for running on the trainer and made a complete arse of it because the tube kept getting in the way as I tried to bead the tyre, i’d basically forgotten how to deal with tubes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Snowdon, or to be more precise riding it with MTBs.

Do you want to be looked upon by your fellow Man like Jimmy Savile skipping hand in hand with Gary Glittler? Take your bike up Snowdon.

It’s ground zero for the sort of grumpy rambler who detest anyone else using the Outdoors, it’s a total slog to get up and not very good to ride down.

I would wager that 90%+ of riders who ride it. Double check Strava is recording before you start,grab 15 pics on the way up and a dozen more at the top for FB and Insta, knock up a Relive video and vow never to return again, well privately at least.

If you fancy a trip here to Wales and want to ride something with epic views (weather permitting) and a bit of a old-school big-climb, big-descent feel, I’d suggest The Gap in Brecon. At 600m it’s not a “proper” Mountain, but it’s far better ride

philjunior
    Free Member

A tube weighs 200g

(I’ve just weighed one)

And you’ve got more favour with the gods, than I, if 75ml of sealant leaves you with some still sloshing around a week after set-up. I’ve found I need closer to 200…

(Take out 200, put in 200)

I was being generous with 75ml, I usually run 60ml, there’s no reason to run more if you can get away with a 200g MTB inner tube. You don’t need loads sloshing around. If you want, take another 60ml (between two tyres) to reseal when inevitably you’ve had several punctures without even noticing and used up all your sealant. Which sort of proves one of the other advantages.

Unless you’re not bothered about weight, in which case fill your boots tyres.

More in line with the thread though, I’d like to add:

1) Tyre du jour on STW – sometimes tried it, usually it’s OK but nothinkg special.

2) Every tyre anybody else recommends in a “what tyre” thread.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Modern membrane waterproofs.

Work great out of the packet, then the following year, you find yourself with a ‘soaked’ jacket and getting cold with a heavy sodden jacket. So then you buy some waterproofing spray, and find yourself asking WTF when you spent a considerable sum on it is it not waterproof. Breathability? Well I’m fine with a windproof pertex top on, so when I really want to stay dry and not soaked caught out in an emergency, is the industry supplying me with this crap. There isn’t even a subset of waterproof ‘waterproofs’ with moderate breathability anymore. Give me a breathable waterproof that still beads water off for life please.

nickc

Snowdon, or to be more precise riding it with MTBs.

Oh absolutely. Last rode it a couple of years ago in April, and while the folk on it on the way up weren’t aggressive at all, more than one group asked me if I knew that bikes were banned, and I had to explain the voluntary scheme, and on the way down Rangers where I gave way to every walker group, got the usual  “walker death leap” and walkers loudly announcing “Mountain bike” in a voice that suggests what they’d like to shout is “Baby Rapist”

Best avoided at all costs

chakaping
    Free Member

Your colourful description sounds more like a ride in the Peak District to me Nickc.

I usually ride Snowdon on a weekday when it’s quiet-ish, but I’ve only had one encounter with a militant walker there and that was on Telegraph about eight years ago – and I think he was a troubled individual.

Edit – Actually the Peak District could be a good candidate for this thread?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Edit – Actually the Peak District could be a good candidate for this thread?

Behave yourself sir!

nickc

Chapaking, my ride was a sunny Saturday morning, so I think I was probably unlucky. It was rammed with folk though. Mid-week is probably a better bet for a popular spot like Snowdon.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Any kind of walking on supposedly “walking friendly” SPD shoes. Any of them

crikey
    Free Member

Ooh Ooh! Miss! I know something!

Merino baselayers.
    I’m not sure, but I think the introduction of Merino as the next wonder fabric, sustainable, eco-friendly, high performance and so on, coincided with a big marketing campaign from NZ. On the strength of recommendations from here I bought a couple of baselayers and they were rubbish for any kind of reasonable exertion. Got wet, stayed wet, took ages to dry compared to synthetics. “But they don’t smell” said the acolytes; neither do my synthetic baselayers…

Good for walking in, good for wearing at home, rubbish for actual exercise.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Slow cookers , never eaten anything decent that has come out of one of these things .

Viewing 31 posts - 161 through 191 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘Things that people say are great, but actually aren’t………’ is closed to new replies.