Things that people say are great, but actually aren’t………

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)
  • Things that people say are great, but actually aren’t………
  • The only thing interesting tom is your attitude to this thread and inability to read or reason.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Just arguing then. Gotcha.

Premier Icon LAT
    Subscriber

Eggs are great! What could anyone possibly have against eggs?

they are a chicken’s period.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

That we can buy passports, not real ones… but fake ones.

I think that’s great.

Actually, it isn’t is it.

joshvegas

It’s a purer form of riding

Dry boak.

Thing is. It’s kind of true. Not it any hippy dippy way.

Take a single speed bike and a fixed wheel bike make everything identical cycle along a flat road as fast as you can. The freewheel feels daft as you end up frantically spinning then coasting repeatedly as the wheel outrevs you. The fixed gear though you just keep pedalling even though you might not be adding anything. I just feels right.

That we can buy passports, not real ones… but fake ones.

I think you will find they are offering real AND fake passports.

trail_rat

Did any one say the new classifieds yet ?

wordnumb

Opinions.
    I mean, people argue that they’re informative and can lead to new experiences but more often they seem to be biased toward the preferences of the specific person expressing that opinion rather than being universally true.

Take a single speed bike and a fixed wheel bike make everything identical cycle along a flat road as fast as you can. The freewheel feels daft as you end up frantically spinning then coasting repeatedly as the wheel outrevs you. The fixed gear though you just keep pedalling even though you might not be adding anything. I just feels right.

Or, a classic case of 2 wrongs not making a right. 😁

joshvegas

Ha. Possibly.

But it also looks baller with some skinny jeans and a pair of crochet track mitts.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

NHS seems like a perfectly valid contribution.

Everyone says its great, the reality is your as likely to sit in a corridor with a leaking roof for 6 hours as actually see a doctor thanks to the cuts.

Did any one say the new classifieds yet ?

No, the thread is about things everyone says is great appart from you. Not things everyone agrees are worse apart from the mods.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Take a single speed bike and a fixed wheel bike……..

Yea, but a geared bike does that too! And better because you actually go faster rather than soft pedaling. Being under geared still feels under geared.

And at the same gear at the same speed youd be pedaling on both. The difference is on the SS you can sprint over the top of hills without dying in a whirling mess of 180rpm legs down the other side.

Angry sheep at Innerleithen. Just don’t get it. Loads of much better and very different stuff nearby why is this mediocre trail the mutts?

My two favourite bikes, one is made in Yorkshire but isn’t a fruit and the other has a little door to store stuff in the downtube.

chrisski33

MTB magazines and internet forums 😕

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

This thread.

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

Swinley trails.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Swinley trails.

People say they’re great?

ahwiles

Tubeless: it’s a a faff to set up, it’s not a weight saver, and if (when) you do get a puncture you’ve got all that jizz to deal with.

Natural riding: mud and pedalling , more pedalling, more mud, no corners. Just endless climbing through mud. All for a few seconds of descending, with no corners, just mud. Followed by another endless muddy climb along a field boundary. Give me a good old fashioned trail centre any day.

Long reach bikes: great if you’re smashing down steep rocky trails, crap for everything else. You don’t need 500+ mm of reach, you’re 5’7”.

trail_rat

Natural riding: mud and pedalling , more pedalling, more mud, no corners. Just endless climbing through mud. All for a few seconds of descending, with no corners, just mud. Followed by another endless muddy climb along a field boundary. Give me a good old fashioned trail centre any day.

sounds like an english thing with your brilliant land access laws.

Swinley trails.

People say they’re great?

Yes. Not the greatest. But great.

As long as you aren’t caught in a traffic jam on a busy weekend, they are fun at whatever speed you personally find hard; incredibly weather proof (red2 being the exception); the layout and lack of height means you can chop and change your route in almost infinite combinations; and crucially, its within an hour’s drive of a huge chunk of the UK’s population.

For every smug bloke on here that rides out their back door to a day in the Lakes or the highlands, there’s a hundred guys driving to Swinley, having an enjoyable 2 hours ride and going home to their family for lunch.

To answer the OP – low end 12 speed groupsets. I’m sure X01 is lovely, but 700g cassettes and clunky finicky shifting on the lower tiers, just to give people a 50 tooth stump puller to ride up a hill at sub-walking pace; and and/or the useless theoretical ability to ride at 25mph on flat tarmac roads. All the downsides of 1x and 3x rolled into one.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

thisisnotaspoon

NHS seems like a perfectly valid contribution.

Everyone says its great, the reality is your as likely to sit in a corridor with a leaking roof for 6 hours as actually see a doctor thanks to the cuts.

It’s not the NHS that’s wrong. What’s wrong is what the recent governments have done to it.

That it operates at all is a miracle.

ahwiles

sounds like an english thing with your brilliant land access laws.

Not to mention the miles and *miles* of tarmac linking the ‘good’ bits.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Great Bear. Just a bunch stars, miles away, can’t visit them and all they do is twinkle, doesn’t even look like a bear. Total rip off.

Dogs (runs and hides…..)

kerley

Having ridden fixed gear for around 17 of the last 20 years, to me it is great.

Any other sort of bike just doesn’t feel right to me and the 3 years where I have tried singlespeed, and even geared for a very short time, were just temporary breaks which didn’t work out as couldn’t wait to build up a fixed gear again after a few months.

Clearly after riding one at least twice a week for 17 years means that I am pretty good at riding one and don’t need brakes, can bunny hop, get myself down technical singletrack etc,. so my view of them being great is coming from that angle but I realise that some people are going to try it and instantly hate it.
    Still worth trying though as you may love it immediately just as I did.

Premier Icon Pyro
    Subscriber

Dogs (runs and hides…..)

Agreed – In fact, pets in general. Pet owners as well.

(Awaits inevitable backlash…)

steve_b77

Online / live chat on consumer websites, might as well just send an email and await the response instead of having a browser window open to achieve the same thing.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

failedengineer

Dogs (runs and hides…..)

No point in hiding. The dogs will find you…

milfordvet

Tubeless.

Crap all over the floor. Ballache getting tyres inflated and staying inflated. Dried crap inside the tyre adding weight. Can’t then change tyres easily for conditions. Tyre anxiety…will they or won’t they go on then go up. Gopping toxic mess in there if you have to put a tube in to get home on day all over your hands. Syringes, valves. Get it right and it’s good for just 3 months.

I recently went back to inner tubes on my Swift and it felt like an upgrade to my cycling life. No mess. Immediate inflation. No difference in ride quality as I swapped back to a tyre with a lighter more suppple compliant carcass. Weight was the same. Zero ballache, mess and crap. I didn’t puncture before or since.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Tubeless.

Let me then nominate your mechanic skills 🙂

kerley

I didn’t puncture before or since

If you don’t puncture with tubes and run your tyres at as low a pressure as you want then there is little point to tubeless.
    Where I live a puncture happens about every other ride if using tubes. When I switched to tubeless I never got a puncture in 1,000s of miles of riding.

Premier Icon nwmlarge
    Subscriber

Single track, it’s always a bit of a disappointment.

philjunior

Tubeless: it’s a a faff to set up, it’s not a weight saver, and if (when) you do get a puncture you’ve got all that jizz to deal with.

OK I get that you might not like it, I can appreciate the downsides, but in what world is 75ml of sealant as heavy as a 400g+ inner tube? The tyres are within about 50g tops these days, like for like (only the early no sealant tyres were.) – and certainly to give something of comparable puncture resistance it’s far far lighter.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Sex

You ain’t doing it right.

retro83

The web in 2019.

Content appears in a split second and is ready to use. Before you get a chance however, it goes gray and the following appears in a box blocking your view…

Do you accept cookies? Nope, close that

Do you want a news letter? Do I eff. Bye.

Do you accept notifications? Yeah na

Will you take a 2 minute survey after closing this page? SMELL MY CHEESE YOU MOTHER

ahwiles

…but in what world is 75ml of sealant as heavy as a 400g+ inner tube?

A tube weighs 200g

(I’ve just weighed one)

And you’ve got more favour with the gods, than I, if 75ml of sealant leaves you with some still sloshing around a week after set-up. I’ve found I need closer to 200…

(Take out 200, put in 200)

kerley

And you’ve got more favour with the gods, than I, if 75ml of sealant leaves you with some still sloshing around a week after set-up. I’ve found I need closer to 200…

I don’t think it is other peoples favour with the gods, more like some evil you have done in a previous life may be going against you as using 200ml of sealant is outrageous.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.