Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 191 total)
  • Things that people say are great, but actually aren’t………
  • scotroutes

There is more than a whiff of the hipster abo

Whoopeee! Someone thinks I’m hipster and not just a tramp.

ads678

bikes Made In Yorkshire.

All of them or just Orange ones??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂😂😂 at tinas

Wookster

Carvery’s…..never enough meat, veg is always overdone….just not as good as a home made roast….

tjagain

Scotroutes – you need to do something better with that beard to be a hipster.

tjagain

Tinas – I am in charge of the tandem. SWMBO can only punch me in the kidneys not crash the bike

scotroutes

My daughter bought me a Beard Care Kit for my birthday

Blackflag
    Free Member

Curved TVs and / or 3D TVs

Both utter crap.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I am in charge of the tandem. SWMBO can only punch me in the kidneys not crash the bike

I was thinking more from her POV!

I quite enjoy it, makes a long 5+ hour ride fly by as you can alternate between socializing alongside the main ‘line’, take a turn at the front if you fancy a bit of a stretch, hide in the middle if you want a break, and all of a sudden you’re reached a cafe 40 miles away without much perceived effort. And you don’t get bad days, just sit at the back and get towed along. Riding in a less disciplined group you’re all stuck riding at the pace of the slowest at different perceived efforts so the fit guy is bored and the slowest guy is busting a gut.

cookeaa

I have to say I’ve generally enjoyed owning and riding my fixed gear bike both with Drops and now with some risers, they’re not universally capable and yes steep and/or long descents are their biggest challenge. But then it’s not like you’d have one as your only bike is it?…

If you want “over-hyped”, surely it’s got to be Fat bikes?
    They were The greatest bicycling invention ever for six months, all but vanished from most companies product line now…
    You still occasionally see one trundling at half speed round some blue TC lines with superfluous dry bags strapped to the bars/forks.

tjagain

I see the appeal Tinas – but what horrifys me is riding that close to other cyclists. I have on occasion let someone I trust sliptream me / us ( on the tandem you make a big hole in the air) but I will never slipstream someone else. to me its just not safe to follow somone that close.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s mostly all relative and personal

Gosh, where to start.
    How about single chainrings.

I love both MTB and walking, for instance. Some hate walking.

single-speed for me = riding + walking. Depending on who I’m reading – some love it and many don’t love it. Some love it sometimes. But how about single chainrings? Without a single chainring I wouldn’t be able to single-speed. So they can’t be overrated IMO.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

“Natural trails”

Rooty, badly built jumps, no flow, too steep/dangerous for mortals/people with jobs.

Vinte
    Free Member

Films

tomhoward

My problem with walking is that it’s frowned upon to bring a bike for the fun bits.

cdoc
    Free Member

Guy Martin.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You can not fart!

You bloody can.

I like it.

scotroutes

Britain

Houns

STRAVA

couchy
    Free Member

Cycling for fitness I don’t get it, worse still is the hamster wheel in the garage linked up to loads more online for ‘racing’. I prefer mtb to be all about the Adrenalin and getting outdoors, a by product is fitness but it’s never the reason I ride….hence I now use an ebike 99.9% of the time 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t believe the number of people who will drive (quite some distance) to Cannings and spend a morning lapping the place, when there’s SOOOO much good natural riding around it.

Just because they are doing it that day doesn’t mean they always do it. Cwmcarn is surrounded by great trails, but it is also great trails itself that are a bit different. TCs make sense if you smash it all the way round. If you bimble round say Swinley then yes it’s dull. At warm speed it’s exhilarating in a way that no natural trail is. And you can’t ride natural trails the way you do TCs because there might be people, dogs etc.

BoardinBob

Running

An absolutely abysmal way to spend your spare time

Drac

Primeval forest drums.

willard

Drum n’ Bassalt?

I can’t understand fixie singlespeeds either, not for town at least. How in the hell do you set up a bunnyhop onto or off kerbs?? How is rear wheel braking safer in the wet compared to normal brakes?

Also, the lack of farting thing would be a breaker.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And you can’t ride natural trails the way you do TCs because there might be people, dogs etc.

To be fair at Swinley you still get all that crap, and people having picnics on the trail.

“Natural trails”

Rooty, badly built jumps, no flow, too steep/dangerous for mortals/people with jobs.

Not sure I agree, by the same token a trail center is just a load of jumps and smooth trails that encourage high speeds through smoother surfaces and lower risks but with higher consequences. Take the Army ranges and Gorrick courses around Swinley. Similar topography, but rootier and generally steeper as you say. But despite crashing a lot more I don’t think I’ve ever come away with worse than cuts and bruises.

I can’t understand fixie singlespeeds either, not for town at least. How in the hell do you set up a bunnyhop onto or off kerbs??

That bit’s easy, you just wheelie off.

Getting up kerbs is a bit harder, it’s a bit like riding a step in a climb. Lift the front wheel over it then a little flick with the ankles to lift the back without stopping pedaling. I’m sure bunnyhopping is possible, it’s just timing.

FOG

I learnt to ride a two wheeler when a sprog on an eccentric relative’s drop bar fixie. It was also far too big. It is a wonder I ever got on a bike again. It has left me with a fixie aversion but I am indifferent to TCs despite ( or because of )living on the next hill but one to Lady Cannings.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Heart rate monitors
    I mean what is the point – If its working then great..if it isn’t what are you going to do about it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Heart rate monitors
    I mean what is the point – If its working then great..if it isn’t what are you going to do about it?

A friend had one with two alarms, one was a warning to take it easy, the other paged the Dr! (he had a pacemaker).

richmtb

SPDs on a mountain bike.

They just encourage poor technique and I’m not convinced they are actually more efficient

willard

I like SPDs on my bike. Makes me feel more connected to it. Makes the trails come alive

IHN

Says TANDEM Jeremy

You’re thinking of someone else, that argumentative tosspot was banned years ago 😉

tomhoward

I’m not convinced they are actually more efficient

Just being clipped to the bike, no, but having your foot in the optimum position every time, and generally having stiffer soled shoes (than flats) definitely help efficiency.

tjagain

🙂

avdave2

but having your foot in the optimum position every time

But is the optimum position the same position all of the time?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But is the optimum position the same position all of the time?

Probably (bearing in mind ~80% or more of any ride is probably spent going uphill where the optimum for anything is efficiency and power rather than any other consideration) but the quoted figure is a 15% loss in power through a squidgy rubber sole compared to a solid SPD shoe/cleat. When people talk about having to adjust their foot position it generally refers to flat pedals and the difficult in adjusting it when you get it wrong, spd’s on the other hand give you almost zero friction float.

I know some people have played around with mid position cleats, but even with flat pedals I only move slightly back. Standing further forward just feels unstable because you ankles higher relative to the pedal (and effectively reducing the frames reach as well I suppose).

nicko74

Oooh, where to start:
    1x anything.
    “Gravel” groupsets
    1x gravel groupsets – in what world is this actually a useful combination of gears?
    29″ wheels
    27.5″ wheels
    tapered headsets

And fwiw fixed gear isn’t all that bad for bimbling around town. It’s definitely an adjustment, but it’s a fun way to ride, once you adjust your head in terms of how fast you’ll go, your cadence etc

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

but it’s a fun way to ride, once you adjust your head in terms of how fast you’ll go, your cadence etc

So, the same as 1x then really?. The extra gears that 2x or 3x give is about as relevant to your average biker as the supposed 15% efficiency reduction the flat pedals suffer.

Ben_H

Coffee.

I went cold turkey nearly 3 years ago, having realised that I was basing a fair part of my day around its availability. I still drink the occasional cup, but being a non-addict gives you a surprising insight into the habit. 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t believe that period are still moaning about dropper posts and 1x drive trains! Two of the best things ever as far as I’m concerned.

Turbo trainers are utter bobbins thought. Nothing worse than sitting and spinning and sweating your balls off and going nowhere.

NormalMan

At this moment I would say tubeless but maybe now was not a good time to ask 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘Things that people say are great, but actually aren’t………’ is closed to new replies.