Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Things that make you emotional
  • jekkyl

Family love.

TiRed

Playing with my sister’s children, knowing that she has a terminal illness, and knowing what it’s like to lose a parent their age.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Lots of things make me cry, loss of friends and loved ones and the injustice and suffering that seems relentless at times. The weirdest thing that makes me cry is something that takes me way back to being a very small child.

my mum left when I was a toddler and I then seemed to spend all my time at nursery and I hated it (all the memories I have are generally not happy ones around that time). The thing that reminds me of that time so strongly that it just makes me well up . . . Is the smell of sunpat peanut but sandwiches after they have been in a tupperware box for a few hours. . . . No smell like it – its not horrible itself but its choked me up even thinking about it

weird – and it never fails to do it, so I refuse to put peanut butter in my kids packed lunch sandwhiches – my youngest likes it though so does it himself!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    corroded
    Free Member

This: [/url]

Northwind

The 8th exhaust manifold bolt is really bloody hard to get to. Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensue.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Knowing my 9 year old nephew is unlikely to see his 21st birthday due to Duchenne muscular dystrophy

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sir Patrick of Swayze : Dirty Dancing/Ghost

jamj1974

A few of your posts have done it…

Watching my smallest child enjoying life to the full after being really close to not making it to birth. Watching how hard he tries every day to keep up with his siblings and how tired he gets. I love you wee man.

My other sons need to care for the people he loves.

My daughters sadness at injustices meted out to others.

The dignity and resolution of people who are suffering – but do not let it beat them.

Thinking about my dad.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

All sorts of things
    When people give up.
    “What’s the point” is one of the saddest things for me to hear.

Jolene by Ray Lamontagne. Can’t even listen to it any more.

Watching birds.

It’s a funny old world.

racefaceec90

i must be a real cold bstard as i haven’t cried for years 😳

CountZero

Can be anything, the opening part of Up has me in bits, and while I was out for a walk through the park on Saturday, I came across a bloke on a bike with his little girl, he was fixing one of those pull-along bike things that the little one sits on and pedals. Anyway, it seemed to have come adrift, and she’d come off. The little lass was standing there, in a floaty sort of summer frock, helmet on, clutching her battered teddy, and I asked if they were ok, she turned her arm to show a graze on her elbow, and dirt on her shoulder, and her lower lip was doing that trembly thing, where she was desperately trying not to cry.
    She got back on, I told her she’d be ok once daddy cleaned it up, and to keep a tight hold on teddy, which got a little smile, and off they went.
    Stupid, I know, but seeing kids upset like that just has me in pieces.

tangoman19
    Free Member

Mufasa dying. Every single time.

anagallis_arvensis

Mufasa dying for me too. In fact almost anything involving father and son relationships. I dont remember mine as he died when I was 2. Having a son myself now has only made things worse.
    Oh and anything involving a dog dying and I’m in bits too.

NZCol

I had a heart of stone until i had kids. One that was most embarassing was on a plane last August, dialed up A song for Marion for some reason and I only got 2 firkin minutes into it. Couldn’t watch it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had a heart of stone until i had kids.

This.

martinhutch

I had a heart of stone until i had kids

This again. Sang this to my little lass on the night she and her brother were born as I carried her around the ward..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkyDYbMUPj4[/video]

Still gets me whenever I hear it, especially the ‘Two drifters..’ bit.

Oh, and Mushi, obviously. Such an amazing bit of telly.

Pigface
    Free Member

Welsh National Anthem has me blubbing

Marco Simoncelli sets me off.

As said above lots of things make me misty eyed these days.

binners

Its weird, innit? Once you’ve had kids you are instantly transformed from a cold-hearted, cynical, self-interested, emotionally constipated, sociopath, into someone who dissolves into tears like a Gwynie Oscar acceptance speech, on merely seeing a kitten.

I sometimes want to be a cold-hearted, cynical, self-interested, emotionally constipated, sociopath again 😥

Northwind

tangoman19 – Member

Mufasa dying. Every single time.

But he’s just a cartoon lion, adults getting weepy over that is ridiculous.

Now crying over cartoon aliens, that’s totally normal.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

last thing to get me was a picture someone posted on facebook, a still from “Bottom ” with Ade Edmunson on a park bench looking at a space with no Rik .sniffle.

surfer
    Free Member

My eldest was 18 last week. On the eve of her birthday she wanted to stay up late to open her cards and presents as we were in work the next day and probably not home till late plus she was off school.
    Once we had finished about 1am my wife and I looked at some old photos of both of them as they grew up(16yr old son) it was tearful.

martinhutch

I sometimes want to be a cold-hearted, cynical, self-interested, emotionally constipated, sociopath again 🙁

Stop it. Seeing you grieve for your long-lost sociopathy is making me well up a bit.

DezB
    Free Member

You’d have to have a heart of stone not to cry at Mushi on Educating Yorkshire

Heart of stone here 😉

Joy Division’s ‘Atmosphere’, couldn’t listen to it for ages after John Peel died.
    This Mortal Coil – Song to the Siren when it comes on in The Lovely Bones.

D-Day again – on the Great British Menu, when the old guy sung his folk song acapella to the other veterans…

mrsflash
    Free Member

My son has recently started asking why I don’t have a mummy and I cannot bring myself to explain to him that she died when I was a child. I do not want a 3 year old to have to know that mummies are not always there. Every time I think about him knowing that I cry.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

“Lord Of All Hopefulness” after we sang it at my wife’s 12 year-old godson’s funeral.

sandwicheater

Blooming everything these days.

Used to be dead inside and loved it.

Now I’m married with a kid I find the lovely pointed stone wall that surrounded my heart has been knocked over (I think my wife reversed a car into it while I wasn’t watching).

Was in tears the other morning listening to the radio about the D-Day landings. Can’t face watching Turner & Hooch, that would kill me.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sugggsey, had me close to tears.

I walked out of a nightmare marriage twelve years ago. We owned a croft with some land. My father in law was a devious hateful farmer. In a bid to try to steal the land he tried to claim a right of tenancy by ploughing it.

Problem for him was that he was in the process of selling his own farm and had sold some of his implements including his plough.

He set to asking neighbouring farmers and contractors to plough the land for him. Everyone knew what he was up to and either refused to do it for him or to lend him a plough. In the end he had to buy a two furrow non reversible plough and he still went ahead and did it, blind to eyes of those he went to church every Sunday with as an elder

I only knew some of those he had asked, many I didn’t know. But what brings me to tears is that they universally quietly stood back from the conflict.

When I go back to Orkney I’m still greeted by crushing handshakes and warm smiles. That brings a lump to my throat.

DezB
    Free Member

Probably cheating, but this song made me blub like a 3 year old after I moved out of the family home…

[video]http://youtu.be/ijc1MsrOwT8[/video]

Weird cos no other song had the same effect and BMSR are the most freaky band ever!
    Oh and that Scroobius Pip song that I won’t be posting… When I was riding my bloody bike home, tears streaming down my face. Arse!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Being a new Dad (6 months) to two adopted children I get very emotional at the smallest things they do.

The first time my boy said he loved me knowing that he genuinely meant it was very special and emotional. His first proper hug, the first time he rode his bike without stabilisers. And many, many more!

My little girl (now 17 months old)- The first time she came to me and realising the attachment had formed. All the milestones I notice she is achieving.

Anything to do with my kids really. Love them to bits.

Welling up thinking about it now!!

D0NK

I had a heart of stone until i had kids.

what he said, lots of stuff nowadays, when 1st child needed heel prick test (a few times in his first week) I had to leave the room, couldn’t bear his screams so suggsey’s post brought that back (and then some) to me.

Some threads on here.

As per yunki quite a few songs make hair on my neck stand up.

Some films, which many would probably consider contrite dross, have made me well up aswell.
    Don’t actually shed many tears but throat catches, wrench in my stomach and eyes start to sting.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Watching mrs mw suffer through seizures, surgery and chemotherapy fully aware that it will do little to extend her life beyond a few months. But knowing that she’s too bloody minded to quit trying.

Seeing her give up doing the things that she loved. Slowly watching her spirit chipped away by sickness and fatigue.

The end of things. Helping her write her letter to the hospital where she loved working to confirm her retirement on grounds of ill health. Doing the things we’ve always enjoyed together for possibly the last time. She sold her kayak, she still has her bikes but I can’t imagine she’ll ever ride them again. Watching her say goodbye to friends.

The way she raises herself up whenever someone visits and then needs to spend the rest of the day in bed once they’ve gone.

The fact that her greatest concern is that I’ll be ok after she’s gone.

mcobie
    Free Member

Although we were privileged to have her for only 5 weeks, having to give up the beautiful Maggie…

The house is very quiet without her… 🙁

easygirl

The song ” slipping through my fingers” from mamma Mia

Me and my wife sat in the pictures, both crying, our daughter was 17 at the time and going travelling around America.
    I’m filling up now typing this and she’s 23 now !

rOcKeTdOg

Watching mrs mw suffer through seizures, surgery and chemotherapy fully aware that it will do little to extend her life beyond a few months. But knowing that she’s too bloody minded to quit trying.

Seeing her give up doing the things that she loved. Slowly watching her spirit chipped away by sickness and fatigue.

The end of things. Helping her write her letter to the hospital where she loved working to confirm her retirement on grounds of ill health. Doing the things we’ve always enjoyed together for possibly the last time. She sold her kayak, she still has her bikes but I can’t imagine she’ll ever ride them again. Watching her say goodbye to friends.

The way she raises herself up whenever someone visits and then needs to spend the rest of the day in bed once they’ve gone.

The fact that her greatest concern is that I’ll be ok after she’s gone

reading that has made me realise how lucky I am to have my health and that of my loved ones

I really can’t add anything to help Muppet wranger, i can’t begin to feel how awful that must be 🙁

slowclimb
    Free Member

Suggseys post definitely…I’m going to have to go and have another coffee to get over that.
    What a genuinely heartbreaking story 😐
    Hope all is better now.

surfer
    Free Member

The fact that her greatest concern is that I’ll be ok after she’s gone.

She sounds a very special person MW. Just to echo what rocketdog said.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well, quite a lot.

Over the past 12 months my depression has been at its worst. I often feel like I can’t see the next day. Crying on my own, in work, at home. The feeling of utter hopelessness, the feeling of being a complete waste of a human being. Even in moments of what should be joy and happiness, I always seem to find the sorrow and sadness. Last night I woke up, sat on the end of the bed and sobbed for about half an hour. It’s like someone else is pulling the strings. Nothing at that moment would make me feel better or make me feel at ease, I just have to ride it out. Everyday I am emotionally exhausted.

teasel
    Free Member

Whoops, this thread seems to have kicked up a load of dust…

stcolin
    Free Member

I know how to kill a thread dead.

teasel
    Free Member

Nah, that’ll be me. I don’t get emotional about it, though…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Things that make you emotional’ is closed to new replies.