• This topic has 166 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jam-bo.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)
  • Things that are not as brilliant as you remember…
  • Cougar

Have you watched the first Ghost Busters film recently? It’s full of swearing and misogyny as well a scene where Peter Venkman is essentially being a right weirdo perv with his students.

There is a TV edit with the swearing removed and in some cases whole chunks of dialogue reshot. It’s a lesser film for it.

Pete is a bit of a slime though, yes. Different times.

zilog6128

Have you watched the first Ghost Busters film recently? It’s full of swearing and misogyny as well a scene where Peter Venkman is essentially being a right weirdo perv with his students.

Don’t forget that at the start Dan Aykroyd also gets a BJ from a ghost 😂

Pete is a bit of a slime though, yes. Different times.

it was also pointed out to me the other day that in Groundhog Day, BM basically harasses/grooms Andie MacDowell until he gets her into bed, a very different take on the movie post “me too”… unfortunately somewhat ruins what is otherwise one of the very few perfect movies 😭

crazy-legs

a very different take on the movie post “me too”…

For similar reasons, the early Bond films are mostly unwatchable now as well.

As a kid, Bank Holiday in front of a Bond film was great. Now you watch the early ones – basically all of Connery and a lot of Moore – and they’re wildly sexist, misogynist and sometimes quite racist too.
    Plus the special effects look shit.

jambourgie
    Free Member

As a kid, Bank Holiday in front of a Bond film was great. Now you watch the early ones – basically all of Connery and a lot of Moore – and they’re wildly sexist, misogynist and sometimes quite racist too.

I like them precisely because of those reasons. It’s an old-school vibe.

I nominate ‘The Goonies’.

argee

You mean you never fell for the Japanese disguise 😂

crazy-legs

You mean you never fell for the Japanese disguise 😂

They quite often edit that out if it’s on TV now, he just sort of mysteriously looks “very slightly different” for a bit…

Cougar

Weren’t the books worse?

thols2

The Russian military.

Rich_s

Have you watched the first Ghost Busters film recently? It’s full of swearing and misogyny

Try watching Crocodile Dundee as well if you want a shock. The UK TV edit was massive.

One of the good things about Netflix et al is the access to these different versions.

it was also pointed out to me the other day that in Groundhog Day, BM basically harasses/grooms Andie MacDowell until he gets her into bed, a very different take on the movie post “me too”… unfortunately somewhat ruins what is otherwise one of the very few perfect movies

But she does say no to his first advances. And when he properly reforms in the final scene, he’s too knackered and just falls asleep despite her protestations (and having purchased him at the slave auction earlier on!). I think someone’s trying too hard to be offended.

And no mention of him using Nancy for casual shex throughout either.

nickc

A couple of the Bond books are pretty bad  – Live and Let Die especially in it’s description of Mr Big. And some of the villains in others are pretty racist. They’re certainly “of their time”

As a kid, Bank Holiday in front of a Bond film was great.

My (Canadian) wife calls these films “The Sunday afternoon racist Movie” see also, Zulu, Around the world in 80 days, Bridge over the River Kwai etc etc…

zilog6128

But she does say no to his first thousand or more advances.

FTFY. Yes, BM’s character does eventually reform, but at the same time, AM has literally no control over her destiny or who she eventually ends up with as the universe itself has apparently decreed that the groundhog loop continues until she gives in… it’s either a charming romantic tale about a man not giving up until he “gets” a woman, or that same poor woman being Harvey-Weinsteined into submission by powers beyond our ken, take it however you want 🤷‍♂️ 😂 it’s not really a great message either way!

IdleJon

Zulu

Zulu is fairly straightforward in it’s account of what happened, taking into account the fact it’s a Hollywood film, etc. If it is racist, then that’s the underlying racism of the time. It’s been years since I watched it all the way though, but the bits that stand out to me in my memory feel distinctly anti-imperial at this distance. I have a feeling that all those bits are at the end, when the main players are looking at the carnage and waste, and moralising about it. If you only turn on and watch white people with guns shooting black people with spears then you may miss that. Having said that, maybe I need to watch it again. 😀

trailmonkey

it was also pointed out to me the other day that in Groundhog Day, BM basically harasses/grooms Andie MacDowell until he gets her into bed,

No he doesn’t, BM modifies his own behaviour over a series of attempts until he finds a version of himself that she likes.

If anyone is being ‘groomed’ it’s BM by AM’s constant rebuff.

zilog6128

BM modifies his own behaviour over a series of attempts until he finds a version of himself that she likes.

right… is that a healthy approach to relationships though? 🤔 pretty much the opposite of “just be yourself” 😂

nickc

it’s either a charming romantic tale about a man not giving up until he “gets” a woman

Lots of Rom Coms have pretty dark  “normal” behaviours when you get down to the nitty-gritty.  The Switch is a tale about a man who replaces a donor sample…apparently ripe material for a romance and not at all creepy and weird stuff of horrors

nickc

If it is racist,

At the end when the Zulus are just about to win, the Army form a firing line that kills loads of them (carrying swards and shields) in one go, the Zulus retreat, sing a song about how brave the white people are; and leave.

Seems fine.

IdleJon

At the end when the Zulus are just about to win, the Army form a firing line that kills loads of them (carrying swards and shields) in one go, the Zulus retreat, sing a song about how brave the white people are; and leave.

Seems fine.

And what happens next?

zilog6128

Lots of Rom Coms have pretty dark “normal” behaviours when you get down to the nitty-gritty. The Switch is a tale about a man who replaces a donor sample…apparently ripe material for a romance and not at all creepy and weird stuff of horrors

indeed… written/directed/based-on-short-story entirely by men, of course (like most of them I’m sure). The woman is a plot device to be manipulated, rather than an actual person. Of course that’s true for many (most?) Hollywood films in all genres, until fairly recently, at least!

trailmonkey

right… is that a healthy approach to relationships though? 🤔 pretty much the opposite of “just be yourself” 😂

well, if the real version of yourself is to be a misogynist or just a basic arsehole then best modify that and not ‘just be yourself’.
    Which is pretty much what he does.

But I think that we’re falling down an unnecessary PC rabbit hole. It’s just a pretty funny and creative film about the idea of keeping on trying until eventually you get something right.

nickc

And what happens next?

Is that not the end?

p7eaven
    Free Member

1990s mountain bikes (since improved)
    Cadburys Cream Eggs (since wrecked)
    Baked potatoes (since mysteriously less potatoey)

Rich_s

Bridge over the River Kwai

It’s been a while/decades since I’ve seen that one. Is the racism anti-Japanese or anti-white? Serious question, BTW.

In Zulu, it’s also terribly injudicious towards some of the main characters. Notably Hook VC. The Hollywood red-wash was working hard in that film, but I’m pretty sure the battle scenes were reasonably accurate having lived with a guy who was very into his army history.

smell_it
    Free Member

Getting drunk in parks
    V Brakes

IdleJon

And what happens next?

Is that not the end?

Actually, you’re right, I think. They have the final stand-off, the Zulus retreat, Chard and Bromhead do a bit of musing on the pointlessness of war, and the Zulus stand on the hill singing about how brave the red soldiers were. Credits. The song didn’t happen in 1879, and probably Chard and Bromhead didn’t have a 1960s chat about life, the universe and everything. I don’t see the singing as being racist because both sides describe the other as brave during the film, and it’s a great, cinematic ending. The reality was the the Zulus left the battlefield and went home – not so cinematic.

If your opposition is based on the fact that it’s whites vs blacks, then that’s just the historical fact – the actual war was racist and imperialistic, etc. The film is a snapshot of one action, that had happened only 85 years previously, closer in time than the film 1917 to us. There are bound to be things that don’t sit well these days, but I guess that if we look at almost any war film made recently it will look dated and biased in 60 years. (How even handed is any recent film about the middle East, or maybe the Japanese in WW2?)

If your opposition is guns vs spears (not swords – the Zulus didn’t do swords!) then you’re missing the point – there were under 200 soldiers at Rorkes Drift facing 3-4000 Zulus. The main British force had been wiped out, over 1300 dead, the day before by the main Zulu army, by the same guys with spears. That is why the filmic Zulus were honouring their bravery – they hadn’t run away when they had the chance.

nickc

Is the racism anti-Japanese

Yeah there’s the implication that the Japanese are just all violent and thuggish. One of the plot lines is a British Army engineer making changes to the design of the bridge to correct the Japanese errors – Oh, and have a look which actors and other categories who won awards and who didn’t. The Oscars in particular is pretty blatant

Well, that doesn’t stand out at all. 

leffeboy

V Brakes

V Brakes were just fine, considering we had come from cantis.  A well adjusted set on a true wheel are still ok

Getting drunk in parks

Actually, that still is good as well :).  Not getting at you, just spotted that that’s still a winner

I’m also wondering if Fray Bentos pies in a tin/spam fritters/tinned ravioli have had to change their recipe or if our tastebuds were really shit 50 years ago

nickc

the actual war was racist and imperialistic, etc

Yeah that really, The film somewhat glorifies that period, Rouke’s Drift largely stands out because for once the British Army didn’t have the use of Mixim’s Gun, which is how they mostly killed thousands of black Africans, hence the ditty:

Whatever happens, we have got,

The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

You can perhaps forgive the Picture Post for completely made up “heroic” engravings of huge mustaches and horses dying from underneath the brave Englishman fighting hoards of natives, but a 20th C Film, not so much… That it still gets a regular airing on scheduled TV is probably overdue a re-think.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Getting drunk in parks

I may well do that this evening. Thanks.

smell_it
    Free Member

V Brakes were just fine, considering we had come from cantis. A well adjusted set on a true wheel are still ok

V brakes were brilliant coming from canti’s, but when I use them now less brilliant. Just following the brief from the OP.

Actually, that still is good as well 🙂

We may have different definitions of drunk. I’m really not thinking getting myself 15yo drunk in parks will really be a good look in the latter half of my 40’s….

p7eaven
    Free Member

Those small Chicago town pizzas. Not microwaved of course, but still terrible.

That’s no way to talk about the food highlight of my week!* Deep-filled tomatoeycheesy hot awesomeness.

* Actually not true – I tried a smoked salmon thingumny the other day for the first time ever and it was every kind of epic. Can’t remember it was cool but it was filled with some kind of chewy fishy mousse. Oh my godzzzz

leffeboy

I’m really not thinking getting myself 15yo drunk in parks will really be a good look in the latter half of my 40’s….

I’m not sure it is ever a good look 🙂

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I never enjoyed Space Hoppers back in the day. Even less so, now that my prostate has morphed into one😜

andrewh
    Free Member

Williams and McLaren

thols2

Lots of Rom Coms have pretty dark “normal” behaviours when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

They are basically stalker comedies, creepy guy harasses a woman until she gives up and agrees to sleep with him.

Cougar

Indeed.

There’s a lot of similar era (and earlier) music which is way more problematic also.

reeksy

My memory

TheSanityAssassin

The first series of Grange Hill.

alanw2007

The Fast Show?

Brilliant!

Nah, still brilliant

mrdestructo

The scrolling black and white bar in the top right of the telly that told us when a program was finishing.

Nowadays I can hit a button on my remote anytime and see when something is going to end.

Kryton57

Spare / leisure time. There were days when weekends seemed to last for ever, were fun times with beer, cocktails takeaways and a warm duvet.

Nowadays it feels like a couple of hours have gone by before Friday night turns into Monday morning.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.