• This topic has 166 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jam-bo.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Things that are not as brilliant as you remember…
  • Cougar

Most computer games. Even though by comparison from a graphics and complexity point of view they are a million times better, nothing seems as “good” as things like Elite, Wizzball, original Zelda, Leisure Suit Larry, etc…

I was playing Manic Miner at lunch just now.

Chip shop chips – look great, smell great but just not as good as they used to be (maybe newspaper print missing!)

Chips were never served directly in newspaper, not in living memory anyway. There’s a food standards law dating back to like the late 1800s banning it. What you remember is an outer wrapper around food-grade paper.

I suppose it’s possible that some places broke the law but wrapping food in used newspaper is pretty grim. Fish, chips, ink and bogeys twice please!

Monty Python ( and most comedy) has aged badly

The thing with Monty Python is, the wheat-to-chaff ratio is surprisingly low. For every Dead Parrot or Ministry of Silly Walks there’s a dozen terrible sketches which rarely get aired any more.

Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones both ran for just 12 episodes. Monty Python had 45.

funkmasterp

Exercise, it’s hurty.

Cougar

Exercise, it’s hurty.

I played football – well, kicked a ball about – with The Boy on holiday a few weeks ago. I couldn’t walk for about four days afterwards.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most computer games. Even though by comparison from a graphics and complexity point of view they are a million times better, nothing seems as “good” as things like Elite, Wizzball, original Zelda, Leisure Suit Larry, etc…

I think you got the thread title mixed up but in any case, old computer games are rubbish. They were fun for a while as a 10 year old but not now, and my 10 year old thinks they are rubbish. What she plays is a million times better. Which, tbh, is an issue, as they are just too damn exciting and engaging.

joelowden

Spam fritters ..treat when I was younger. Tried them again about 15yrs ago…truly horrific 🤮

ton

Tetleys Bitter.

Rich_s

So actually not me. Him.

😂

the-muffin-man

My wife’s boobs…

…mine are coming along nicely though! 🤣

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Fray Bentos pies like many other folks on here.

Taste sensation in the 70s

swanny853

The thing with Monty Python is, the wheat-to-chaff ratio is surprisingly low. For every Dead Parrot or Ministry of Silly Walks there’s a dozen terrible sketches which rarely get aired any more.

Comedies of that era- Yes Minister is still exceptional, stands up to repeat watching and has very little wasted time.

pk13

Has anyone said monster munch yet utterly depressing in the taste department.

molgrips
    Free Member

No I still like monster munch.

funkmasterp

Pickled onion Monster Munch are really strong. Like being hit in the face with an onion. Wheat crunchies and Nik-Naks are rubbish though

davosaurusrex

Point Break

alexpalacefan

But it’s 100% pure adrenaline.

APF

pk13

Sorry. I need to apologize mrs pk13 has admitted to getting snide copy’s from Aldi I’m too much of a pig to notice the packaging.
    I will try a walkers/smiths? Pack tomorrow they better not disappoint.

#edit on the lookout for Nik naks too

supercarp

Watched point break a couple of weeks ago agree total rubbish now.

Seems everything I watched growing up felt really action packed but now when I watch them they are actually really slow and boring and sadly crap:

The A team
    The professionals (really liked this)
    T J Hooker
    CHiPS
    Baywatch
    The Hulk TV series

But the the crème de la crème must be manimal that was amazing when I was 7, now I realise he could change into any animal as long as it was a bull, eagle or some big cat utter rubbish!!!

thols2

Rudy Giuliani. Not that he was ever brilliant, but he still seems to be much, much less brilliant these days and getting more so before our very eyes.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Who? Oh, the **** in Sleep Now In The Fire?

I was going to say music, I’ve been on a bit of a late 90s/early 2000s journey over the last couple of days (thanks Trainwreck!) but even Limp Bizkit hasn’t got any worse. I mean, that’s a low bar, I know but Faith is still a classic.

funkrodent

Stir Crazy. Back in the day the funniest film. Watched it with son recently and if either Gene Wilder or Prior wittered one more time I was ready to put my foot through the tv

thols2

Stir Crazy. Back in the day the funniest film.

Yeah, I gave up trying to watch those old classics. I always liked Planes, Trains, and Automobiles as a decent family comedy. Too scared to try rewatching it now, I now it’ll be a huge disappointment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I watched the Thing recently, I thought it was excellent – sure the effects are dated, but the creativity is great for its time. Not always easy to see a film through the eyes of its time, I accept.

Is the remake any good?

funkrodent

As it happens I saw Planes, Trains and Automobiles again recently (alongside same, long suffering, son) and quite enjoyed it. I guess that John Candy is just funny whatever, whenever and Steve Martin does what he does (or did what he did) very well..

funkmasterp

Ooh! I know! the classifieds on here. Back in the day there were lists as far as they eye could see. Now there are useful photos, it’s hideous.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Did the same with my son…let’s watch Harry Enfield and friends….its gone from the funniest thing when I was in college to…meh, my son wasn’t impressed at all and turned over after 10mins.

Still at least the old skool music is great especially on vinyl

didnthurt

What about things that have now got worse?

Irish crossing ferries, whatever happened to the fast ones?

French crossing hovercrafts, whatever happened to the coolest way to travel over water?

Concorde, being able to travel the same speeds as fighter pilots whilst sipping a G&T.

didnthurt

Haircuts were pretty bad in the 70’s, so was the general fashion and mustaches. My dad got married in a purple three piece velour suit. Along with a big tache. 😂

Trainers were pretty crap too.

Bikes. Everybody fondly remembers Choppers and Grifters but gloss over the fact that they had crap brakes and gears, and also weighed so much that I’m surprised that ever 10 year didn’t have a hernia from riding and lifting one.

fasthaggis

Frau Blucher.
    Her name no longer frightens horses.

MoreCashThanDash

Being married

fazzini

Tetleys Bitter

🙌

onehundredthidiot

French crossing hovercrafts, whatever happened to the coolest way to travel over water?

I traveled on them a couple of times, would rather walk across the channel.

matt_outandabout

Payday.
    It’s just not going as far compared to what I remember….

thols2

Steve Martin does what he does (or did what he did) very well..

Only Murders in the Building is actually pretty decent, Steve Martin and Martin Short are still doing good work.

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

We watched The Thing a couple of weeks back as my 15yo daughter is getting into her thriller / horror / supernatural film phase. She loved it, said it was weird but messy fun.

Tried to watch The Matrix with her a few weeks earlier, she got bored. Serioulsy though the first hour is so slow.

finbar
    Free Member

Tried to watch The Matrix with her a few weeks earlier, she got bored. Serioulsy though the first hour is so slow.

The Matrix Reloaded is one of only two films I’ve ever full-on fallen asleep watching while at the cinema (the other being Pirates of the Caribbean 3).

jimmy

Same with Trainspotting

Wash your mouth out

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The denial is strong…has no one said Star Wars yet. The prequel trilogy was rubbish and the sequel trilogy was rubbish, and the original trilogy is really rather ropey with a modern grown up eye. I have clung dearly hoping it wasn’t so but it’s time to admit it. Mando and Rogue one passable, everything else…..

tomhoward

It’s just not going as far compared to what I remember….

Too much month left at the end of the money?

didnthurt

the original trilogy is really rather ropey with a modern grown up eye

Watched the original Star Wars trilogy with my boy when he was about 7, he jumped up and started cheering when (spoiler alert 😜) Luke blows up the Death Star. Seems he rather liked it.

I tried to watch Indiana Jones with both my kids last year and the opening scene where there are skulls in spikes, scared them too much so I had to turn it off.

Have you watched the first Ghost Busters film recently? It’s full of swearing and misogyny as well a scene where Peter Venkman is essentially being a right weirdo perv with his students.

doomanic

Too much month left at the end of the money?

Always. 😢

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.