• This topic has 166 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jam-bo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)
  • Things that are not as brilliant as you remember…
  • ransos
    Free Member

Nostalgia.

BillMC

Easy Rider: pretty good soundtrack though

Jelly

Guinness in Ireland

Houns

Your Mum

And

Reminiscing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thols2

Jackass

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

40 watt light bulbs.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Any Smokey and the Bandit film. Just no.
    Any Police Academy film. Just no.
    On the Buses. Was that really as successful as I think it was in the 70s? (disclaimer, I never thought it was briliant).

frankconway

The royal family

ElShalimo

Pot Rice

ElShalimo

Louise

oceanskipper

Most computer games. Even though by comparison from a graphics and complexity point of view they are a million times better, nothing seems as “good” as things like Elite, Wizzball, original Zelda, Leisure Suit Larry, etc…

Rich_s

Me.

Caher

Football, rugby, cricket, athletics etc. Sports people today are very far removed from Joe Public in terms of fitness levels and in some cases wealth. 40 years ago footballers had beer bellys.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Chip shop chips – look great, smell great but just not as good as they used to be (maybe newspaper print missing!)

mrmoofo

Here’s the thing – most of the food products you have mentioned with have changed. Manufacturers produce what sells – taking into account government and consumer demands. So with the move to natural flavours and colours, reduced salt, lower fat, lower sugar, vegetarian / vegan demands etc most products have changed significantly from the 1990 to now, let alone the 1970s.
    Hence most will be worse – and generally a lot smaller, than you remember them

However things that are worse:-
    Monty Python ( and most comedy) has aged badly
    Blakes 7
    Star Trek
    Doner kebabs

IdleJon

Chip shop chips – look great, smell great but just not as good as they used to be (maybe newspaper print missing!)

Find a better chippy. We don’t have chips very often but the one around the corner is vastly inferior to the one we occasionally drive to.

convert

Hence most will be worse – and generally a lot smaller, than you remember them

Not always. Listening to a programme about obesity recently – your average pasta based main course in a restaurant has doubled in calorific value in the last 20 years.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Blazing Saddles. Watched it with my daughters when they were early teens. Told them what a great film it was and that the campfire scene was hilarious. They sat stony faced the whole way through, while I had to admit to myself it hasn’t aged well. It’s now my daughters’ benchmark for a truly shite film.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

People. back when I was growing up in the 70’s and 80’s only a minority out there were idiots. Now it seems there are gangs of Chavs just trying to out stupid each other.

Stainypants

The Thing is still great the practical effects are far better the GGI garbage we get in many movies. I borrowed an colour TV of my gran as she was away we could only afford a B&W one. I was 11 and stayed up to watch The Thing on it I was terrified.

The Young Ones I thought it was amazing (I was probably 9 at the time) but I tried to watch it again recently and it was rubbish.

johnx2
    Free Member

Me. By which I mean my body mainly, brain also.

Gah. On edit, missed Richs_s’s

Me.

So actually not me. Him.

IdleJon

The Young Ones I thought it was amazing (I was probably 9 at the time) but I tried to watch it again recently and it was rubbish.

Bye Neil!

fazzini

nothing seems as “good” as things like Elite, Wizzball, original Zelda, Leisure Suit Larry, etc

…Hungry Horace Goes Skiing 😉

dyna-ti

Me.

You’ve only got yourself to blame.

mogrim

Any Police Academy film. Just no.

Dunno, watched the first fairly recently and it was still quite entertaining. Obviously an 80s film though, and I have to agree with this review: “Police Academy is rude, crude, and proudly sophomoric”.

Speeder

Disappointingly and probably controversially – The Hitchithiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

I remember the series with incredible fondness, thinking it to be hilarious, but read it to my son (10 at time) last year and it was not. There’s some great concepts but it wasn’t anywhere near as amusing as I recall. I did insist on finishing the trilogy though. ;o)

RustySpanner

Leslie Ash.

Joe Cocker.

Fred Perry shirts.

Waxl Rose.

Adidas Samba.

Sunday papers.

The BBC.

zilog6128

“Police Academy is rude, crude, and proudly sophomoric”

I love the first film, the whole cast are great, & it’s totally different to the sequels which are just lame slapstick! It’s very tame though compared to later “gross out” comedies.

supernova

Total Recall is still a great 80s film. Two weeks! Get your ass to Mars!

You’ll be telling me Ferris Bueller is rubbish next. It’s not. I still want to be Ferris when I grow up.

ocrider

Yep, nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
    I rather like the flawed theory that Ferris Bueller is actually Cameron’s imaginary friend from his fever dream, even if it doesn’t add up.

shermer75
    Free Member

Fish fingers

johnx2
    Free Member

Fish fingers

What? A man who’s tired of fish fingers is tired of life. Fish fingers are as good as they’ve ever been (which is moderately good, let’s not get carried away).

blokeuptheroad

Fish fingers

I’m afraid that’s just plain wrong, what kind of monster are you?  Cheapo fish fingers mebbe, buy some good ones. A good fish finger sandwich is a thing of beauty.  Thick cut crusty white bread, loads of real butter ready to melt when the fish fingers lay on it, loads of tartare sauce, at least five fish fingers (4 side by side, one along the top obvs).  In fact, might have that for my tea, thanks!

IdleJon

In fact, might have that for my tea, thanks!

I think we have some in the freezer for just this sort of emergency.

blokeuptheroad

I think we have some in the freezer for just this sort of emergency.

That’s the kind of prepping I can get behind.

BillMC

Kingsize sausage fingers (whoops wrong thread)

cheese@4p

Ben Sherman shirts
    Lambrettas
    The Magic Roundabout
    Drugs

cheese@4p

It was quite the night out!

matt_outandabout

You’ll be telling me Ferris Bueller is rubbish next. It’s not. I still want to be Ferris when I grow up.

Klunk
    Free Member

my legs

Cletus
    Free Member

Tales of the Gold Monkey – bought the DVD box set when I saw it when dropping something off at a charity shop.

Not as good as I remembered it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.